"house" wine price by the glass or bottle

Birdnutty

Can someone give me a ballpark price on how much the ship would charge with gratuities for a single glass of house wine, say a merlot?  And ballpark on their least expensive bottles?  I'm weighing the value of the "free" beverage package with the pre-determined added gratuities against an ala carte occasional glass of wine, or a bottle for the table.   I know there must be a breaking point somewhere at which it's worth it to pay the beverage gratuities and get the whole package.  For our next 12 day cruise, the gratuities are $260 each.  Would love to know how far that could actually go if I go drink by drink.

Trying to keep our consumption down, but I don't want to pay more than I would need to if I go ala carte.  TIA!

1 minute ago, Birdnutty said:

Can someone give me a ballpark price on how much the ship would charge with gratuities for a single glass of house wine, say a merlot?  And ballpark on their least expensive bottles?  I'm weighing the value of the "free" beverage package with the pre-determined added gratuities against an ala carte occasional glass of wine, or a bottle for the table.   I know there must be a breaking point somewhere at which it's worth it to pay the beverage gratuities and get the whole package.  For our next 12 day cruise, the gratuities are $260 each.  Would love to know how far that could actually go if I go drink by drink.

Trying to keep our consumption down, but I don't want to pay more than I would need to if I go ala carte.  TIA!

$9 a glass and $39 a bottle

I usually get a wine ONLY package and buy 8 bottles on a 14 day or longer cruise 

I think that the beverage packages are not the best value and that a simple wine package delivered to my cabin works best

I control it and I take home any left over bottles

Hmmm do I have to call NCL to get that package?  I couldn't find it anywhere within my reservation info, or anywhere else on the site. 

I did read that you're allowed to take wine on if you pay a corkage fee.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/liquor-beverages

Edited by Birdnutty
updated info

3 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

Hmmm do I have to call NCL to get that package?  I couldn't find it anywhere within my reservation info, or anywhere else on the site. 

And did I read somewhere that you're allowed to take wine on if you pay a corkage fee?

You are allowed to take wine on but it is a $15 a bottle corkage fee for 750 mL or $30 for 1.5 mL.  They check the wine in the port, and then the charge appears on your statement.  They made a change where if you have the beverage package you do not have to pay the corkage fee.  Just be prepared to lug the wine around until the rooms are ready.

13 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

And did I read somewhere that you're allowed to take wine on if you pay a corkage fee?

Reports that Norwegian removed the Corks and Caps package.

https://www.cruzely.com/ncl-removes-corks-and-caps-drink-package-from-website/

Assuming you have the drink package as part of your FAS bundle, yes paying the 20% service fee is worthwhile if you have at least 2 drinks per day. But the cost if your drink package ( $99 a day last cruise) is built into your cabin rate ( as are the other “free” options in FAS. So if you’re not a big drinker, and not picky about room location (a big IF), sail-away cabin and pay as you go drinks can save a lot of money …. Something I always price out esp if I’m on a long port day intensive itinerary and not planning to use NCl’s BOGO air.

just something to consider

On 12/20/2022 at 1:13 PM, Katie H said:

Oddly enough, NCL's own brand of East West wine which  used to be $9/glass is now $17 per glass but only $27 per bottle. 

Beware though, if you have the drink package it is cheaper to drink it by the glass than get a bottle. My sister and I got suckered into this when we were on the Pearl this summer. We like the NCL East West red blend so we both ordered a glass (they charge you $2.40 for this which includes the tip). The waiter suggested we get a bottle, and not thinking we agreed. it was much more expensive than the $2.40 a glass we would have paid. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

Yep, if you have a Diamond status you get 25% off a bottle, but it’s still cheaper by the glass.  We like to have a glass or two on the balcony so we bring our “sippy cups” to the bar with us and order two glasses of wine and discreetly pour them in our cup.  It goes back to the cabin for later enjoyment.