Uber pickup after cruise?

SandyR5

5 minutes ago, SandyR5 said:

Has anyone called an Uber to bring them home or to the airport after disembarking?

Yes...I have and know others who have as well.  It usually is fine yet I've had experiences where the uber cancels presumably because they get spooked once they see there's a check point.  Worst case it simply just adds a little time if they cancel

6 minutes ago, SandyR5 said:

Is there a designated area for “rideshare” as the airports have?

Yes...It will depend on the port and terminal...Often X is out of FLL and T25, once you get outside of the terminal building take a left and that's the area.

• Like 1

Yes, you can use Uber.  But I have found that using a taxi is easier if the area is super crowded.  Uber takes a while to get through and it can be difficult to find the car.  Totally your choice.  Uber might be cheaper going to Boca.  And its nice to know what the price will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

It pays to know the taxi fare and cost for other options. I'm finding Uber can often cost more than a taxi. I guess they don't think people will shop around.

It's hard to compare prices between Uber and a taxi.  You might get stuckin some taxi who takes the LONG route to Boca.  But, yes, I have found the Fort Lauderdale taxis are reasonably priced.

2 hours ago, SandyR5 said:

Taxi drivers don’t want to go there. They want to do a quick trip to the airport and pick up another fare. That’s why I’m thinking Uber. 

Uber drivers may not want to go their either but they don't really have a choice once the ride is accepted; taxi drivers can refuse if they want to

We took an Uber in October to the airport from Terminal 25.  We had to wait about 45 minutes and the price was $38. Luckily we were not in a rush.  I remember a few years ago we got on the short  taxi line and the fee was about $12 . I was easier taking the taxi but maybe things have changed.

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

It's hard to compare prices between Uber and a taxi.  You might get stuckin some taxi who takes the LONG route to Boca.  But, yes, I have found the Fort Lauderdale taxis are reasonably priced.

I think it likely taxis are better regulated than Uber, but not sure who to complain to if they do take the long way. I do know a taxi from FLL to my hotel was cheaper than Uber and that an Uber from my hotel to the port was cheaper than a taxi. I think comparing prices is a reasonable thing to do.

1 hour ago, Boscodog said:

We took an Uber in October to the airport from Terminal 25.  We had to wait about 45 minutes and the price was $38. Luckily we were not in a rush.  I remember a few years ago we got on the short  taxi line and the fee was about $12 . I was easier taking the taxi but maybe things have changed.

Yes.  It can take a long time to get an Uber.  And very hard to find the particular Uber you booked because there are so many cars picking up and dropping off for the next sailing.

15 minutes ago, Boscodog said:

As of last month, the port to the FLL was $20 in a taxi but I can't remember if was per ride or per person

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

they don't really have a choice once the ride is accepted;

Oh, I've had Uber and Lyft drivers accept the ride but then cancel before they got there. Sadly, I don't think they get dinged with penalties for that like we as passengers do if we cancel after the ride is accepted.

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

As of last month, the port to the FLL was $20 in a taxi but I can't remember if was per ride or per person

Should have been for the ride, and that should include tip.

Taxis in Fort Lauderdale are notorious for not starting the meter, and saying that it is a flat rate.  Be sure the meter is running.

Had an idea after reading these posts. Bet it would be faster and the same price if we grabbed a taxi TO the airport arrivals and get an Uber THERE to take us to Boca. Ubers plentiful at the airport and port. Thoughts?