Hanukkah

gary705

Just finished a cruise in regent splendor , and I know that this is a small thing ,BUT THERE WAS NOT ON MENTION OF THE HOLIDAY, 

when I asked Dave, the cruise director about it, he did not even have the courtesy to answer me 

gary 

• Like 1

Hi Gary705,

Very upsetting and disappointing that no mention of the holiday was made. Even more surprised that Dave, the cruise director, did not answer you. Just as the ship has Sabbath Services available on friday nights, the cruise director should have made Hanukkah Menorah lighting available to those interested at a specific time and place indicated on the daily schedule. It might be too late for you to take further action since you have disembarked , but you should make your displeasure known to Regent and include Dave's lack of courtesy.

Would be interested in comments from others.

• Like 1

i am surprised by this.  As they make such a big deal about the Christmas decorations i am surprised they wouldn't have a Hanukkah menorah in a prominent place and light it each day. CD reaction strange but maybe he didn't know what to say and went the coward's way by just not responding.   Like Avidtrvler i think you should let Regent know your disappointment so they consider it for the future or at least explain why it isn't done. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

When we were on a Japan cruise in April 2019 they had a special Passover Seder dinner on the other side of La Veranda (according to our waiter) from Sette Mari.  I too am surprised (actually stunned) that there was not a Menorah on the ship.

We just got off the Splendor and while a beautiful ship and a wonderful staff there were just little( or maybe big) things that were off. The timing was off sometimes in service and they were definitely slow to decorate the ship for Christmas completely. It was very piece meal. But once finished very nice. Dick felt like there was a lot of new worker bees that were being trained from odd comments heard in passing between supervising staff and workers. We are boarding the Navigator tomorrow so it will be interesting to compare the atmosphere/service on the newest and biggest and the oldest and smallest.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

gary705:

This has not been our experience during several Regent cruises.  It is not a small thing, further punctuated by response--or lack of same--by Cruise Director.  Not appropriate.  At a minimum, the appropriate response would have been along the lines of:

Appreciate your concern.  I will check this out and get back to you.  

So--

Referencing my Response #24 on another current Thread--"Dinner, Splendor Pool Grill"

Suggest advising:  Jennefer Teegen, Director of Guest Experience & Loyalty, Regent Seven Seas Cruises.  7300 Corporate Drive, Miami, FL 33126.  jteegen@ rssc.com.

GOARMY!

1 hour ago, cwn said:

For some it was a little late showing up.

Not sure exactly when the Menorah was placed, but we certainly noticed it outside the entrance to Compass Rose on the evening of Monday December 19.

It could well have been there on December 18.

• Like 2

We only went to the Compass Rose twice , once for lunch and once for dinner early on so I don’t know when it was put up. I didn’t see any mention of it in Passages though I could have missed that also.

Shows what little I, Google & Wikipedia know. I thought it ended on the evening of Dec 26th

@gary705, Any feedback on whether your issues regarding Hanukkah arrangements and your other service problems have been addressed? What was the reaction of the General Manager to your complaints?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Shows what little I, Google & Wikipedia know. I thought it ended on the evening of Dec 26th

Hanukkah is 8 nights and days. The first night was December 18th, which makes the  last NIGHT, December 25th. It ends at SUNDOWN on the 26th so by the time one has dinner on the 26th, Hanukkah is over.

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2022 at 2:29 PM, gary705 said:

BUT THERE WAS NOT ON MENTION OF THE HOLIDAY, 

when I asked Dave, the cruise director about it, he did not even have the courtesy to answer me 

I was on the Splendor the first two nights. There were two hanukkiahs (Hanukkah Menorahs) on board -- one on the registration desk and one by Compass Rose. 

I got concerned when there was no mention of lighting them in the Passages, so I followed up. I had registration call David and find out what time he was planning to light them. Then I met him there, gave him some info on how to light (the shamash, the order of lighting, that it only had to be after sunset, not at sunset, etc) and he gave me the job of lighting for the two nights until the end of the cruise.

I took the job, so that at least I could say the blessings for myself (incandescent bulbs count halachicly just like candles and oil lamps), but I didn't know how to get in touch with others who might also be interested.

On 12/22/2022 at 7:15 AM, cwn said:

We only went to the Compass Rose twice , once for lunch and once for dinner early on so I don’t know when it was put up.

It went up on the day of Dec 18, and Annabel (social hostess) lit it that night.

On 12/20/2022 at 4:26 PM, Avidtravler said:

the ship has Sabbath Services available on friday nights,

My mother and I both put pointed comments in the survey about getting decent wine for these services. Manischewitz!  When there are so many good kosher wines out there, at decent price points. C'mon!

On 12/22/2022 at 5:09 AM, cwn said:

Thanks Flossie for the picture and information. Glad the ship got up to spend on the issue. For some it was a little late showing up. 

These were up on Splendor at the right time. There was just no announcement or public acknowledgement of the holiday. I bet they still aren't letting people gather for 10 minutes at 6:30 or so to light the night's candles together.

21 minutes ago, RELS said:

These were up on Splendor at the right time. There was just no announcement or public acknowledgement of the holiday. I bet they still aren't letting people gather for 10 minutes at 6:30 or so to light the night's candles together.

Glad you were able to get some satisfaction on the Splendor. It is a much better story here on the Navigator. Lugging ceremony  every night list in Passages

All: Reference my earlier #8 Posting--

It appears Navigator"s CD, Ray--"How do you Doooooooo!"--Solaire is, as usual, on the job.  

We have high hopes to see Ray yet-again when boarding Navigator at NYC this coming May. 

GOARMY!

14 hours ago, GOARMY said:

All: Reference my earlier #8 Posting--

It appears Navigator"s CD, Ray--"How do you Doooooooo!"--Solaire is, as usual, on the job.  

We have high hopes to see Ray yet-again when boarding Navigator at NYC this coming May. 

GOARMY!

He will be on in May.

15 hours ago, RELS said:

Not letting people? There is no prohibition against people meeting on Splendor or any other ship that I am aware of and I just got off of the Splendor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Not letting people?

Sorry. Should have said, not facilitating a gathering. I'm sure if people could find each other and arrange to meet, it would not be a problem. It would have been nice for such a gathering to be announced in the Passages, so that those who wanted to gather for nightly lighting could do so.

Aloha. We have done two Christmas Hanukkah New Year cruises and each time they had religious services and events.  Every night for Hanukkah and Midnight Mass for Christmas. Those cruises were on Princess and HAL. Sorry about the experiences Im reading.