Splendor: Christmas on the Canal

flossie009

On 12/25/2022 at 10:59 AM, flossie009 said:

Cartagena, Colombia is not the most attractive of ports

but we saw some attractive sights around the town

Flossie009, would you recommend an excursion in this port? We have never been there before, so I am hoping to book (in a couple of weeks as general booking opens up) a "fortress city" or a similar one. TIA 🙂

On 1/2/2023 at 10:59 AM, briar14 said:

The New Years’ celebrations on Splendor look really splendiforous. How we wish we would have had similar celebrations on Mariner’s Panama Canal cruise last year.

Why, was it not as good? due to covid restrictions or another reason?

On 1/2/2023 at 5:22 AM, flossie009 said:

After the 10pm show in the theatre it was up to the deck for dancing in the warm night air

C0CDC804-953F-4415-BB2E-A481F714C6B6.thumb.jpeg.22c87b1922e0c6deef7bf6e111c5ba7e.jpeg

5049609D-31F7-4CCA-9966-C0E666E4D118.thumb.jpeg.747da61c21172bc4b2fa45c0a5d89571.jpeg

The band played, the singers sang, guests danced and the wait staff kept everyone well supplied with drink and canapés

I've read before about more relaxed dress code on Regent (this will be our first cruise with them), however these guests are all looked very "dressy" 🙂 was this the case?

1 hour ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

Why, was it not as good? due to covid restrictions or another reason?

Mariner’s first cruise after Covid. Covid issues. Excellent Panama Canal transit. Key West, Costa Rica, San Diego, extra day in San Francisco—that was it for ports. We were on the first two Splendor cruises after Covid, which were excellent. Maybe our expectations were too high. Our only disappointing Regent cruise in 230+ nights with 4 more reserved. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 3:44 PM, flossie009 said:

4E6F89EE-FAC6-4690-8B7D-26EAEF2B87B8.thumb.jpeg.c9844f1db2d353b1b83bdf25ac4608f5.jpeg

On 12/21/2022 at 3:44 PM, flossie009 said:

4E6F89EE-FAC6-4690-8B7D-26EAEF2B87B8.thumb.jpeg.c9844f1db2d353b1b83bdf25ac4608f5.jpeg

Not sure if you're still monitoring this forum, but I was on this cruise, too! 

Actually during the cruise, my husband and I were filming for series of YouTube videos. The first one dropped last night. Thought all of you Regent fans (like me) would be interested. But please delete if not allowed! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

Flossie009, would you recommend an excursion in this port? We have never been there before, so I am hoping to book (in a couple of weeks as general booking opens up) a "fortress city" or a similar one. TIA 🙂

I'll let Flossie answer, but when we stopped in Cartagena, January 2022, we took the 

CARTAGENA & THE PALACE OF INQUISTION, CTG-006, FREE

11:30 AM to 3:30 AM, 4 HOURS tour and enjoyed it a great deal. Description follows:

Your tour starts with a drive to the San Felipe Fortress for a photo stop, the largest Spanish fort in the New World. This fortress defended the city from several attacks, and withstood a bloody assault from British Admiral Vernon. From here, you will continue on to the Old City, which offers lovely views of the ocean. Walk to the Historic Museum of Cartagena for an inside visit. Enjoy an inside visit of the Navy Museum with a Folkoric Show following with a walking tour around Old City’s narrow streets and squares. An inside visit will be made to the Saint Peter Claver Church and Cloister, built in homage to the protector of slaves. You will view the remains of Saint Peter Claver, which are encased upon the High Altar. A brief stop will then be made under the huge trees in the cloister’s courtyard to see the well, used by Saint Peter Claver to baptize tens of thousands of black slaves. Following your visit, walk back to your coach for the return drive to the pier. Dress in weather-appropriate clothing. Wear flat comfortable walking shoes.

The walking was not too much but allowed us to see some very pretty parts of the old town.

108581629_120Streetsceneoldtown.thumb.JPEG.ae5821d6d862c2f6ff7ac4439e120b55.JPEG

111 Cathedral.JPEG

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 3:45 PM, Kristal Blade said:

A little expansion for you, Pcardad,

We turned up to Setti Mare last night to be told there was a wait of 30 mins. I think lots of people decided to eat there after the block party. We said we were happy to wait. Maitre d said go to Observation Lounge, tell them you are waiting and then when we ring they will let you know. Well, the wait was only 15 or 20 mins, we didn’t have time to finish our drinks.

Back at Setti Mare Mr 400 days was at the head of the queue stamping his feet because there was no table ready and he was being asked to wait in the Observation Lounge. I, helpfully, said we just did that, the wait wasn’t that long. He turned on me, saying “As a 400 day passenger with Regent I know how this works”. 

Yikes, some people obviously feel that they should be given due respect by everyone on board, just because they don’t have the imagination to try a different cruise line. 😉 

But we are having a great time, us novice players are learning how to wangle an extra booking at the speciality restaurants and loving the great service on board. We are going to “enter the dragon” tonight!

I wouldn’t worry about MR. 400–someone you don’t need to know or share a table with.  We cruised a few Regent cruise’s but won’t reach even 200 as we enjoy different lines for different reasons.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, SWFLAOK said:

If I had 400 nights onboard, I would expect to be seated before someone who was on their first cruise and had not made reservations. That's why Regent has a loyalty program to reward repeat customers We're only gold members after 6 cruises and never expect to make it to 400 nights. Unless we've made reservations in advance, we eat at Compass Rose and always enjoy enough of the meal to overfill us.

Isn’t that restaurant no reservations.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 9:36 AM, Kiwifromkiev said:

Sorry if my description confused.

Where we docked (industrial port) was not of interest, but the town of Cartagena was very attractive with an interesting history.

The tour that we did was CTG-001 CARTAGENA SHOPPING AND HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS. The shopping was touristy 'knick-knacks' so if we visited again we would probably choose one of the other excursions; maybe 002 or 006.

• Like 1

Our Cartagena trip was similar but without the word “shopping”. However we were taken to an emerald “museum” that was really just a shop with a few dioramas about emeralds. We had free time to stroll the streets for about 30 mins, that was enough for us because it was really hot. Temperatures in the high 30s. But the colourful buildings, wooden balconies and decorative door knockers kept us happy!

Beside the dock there is a little park with flamingoes, parrots and peacocks as well as a cafe and a souvenir shop. The tours drop you off right by the entrance and you stroll through there back to the ship. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 10:00 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:
On 2/6/2023 at 11:25 PM, ronrick1943 said:

Isn’t that restaurant no reservations.

Yep!

And to both ronrick and Wendy, better late than never for my 12/23 reply: But that's my point. If someone has 400 nights onboard, why shouldn't they be given some consideration in that long line to eat at Setti Mare than someone who has been on their first cruise? There are plenty of other perks for those with that many nights onboard. 

As I've mentioned elsewhere, and maybe that was read recently in another thread, we would never stand in line for Setti Mare. It did not appeal to us at all. We're not big fans of Italian food, large portions and dessert buffets. That's not the way we eat. But what we tasted was good, and I'm sure that most people enjoy it. That's why it's always busy. We just prefer Compass Rose for the lighter dinners we prefer.

On 2/8/2023 at 5:27 AM, flossie009 said:

Sorry if my description confused.

Where we docked (industrial port) was not of interest, but the town of Cartagena was very attractive with an interesting history.

The tour that we did was CTG-001 CARTAGENA SHOPPING AND HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS. The shopping was touristy 'knick-knacks' so if we visited again we would probably choose one of the other excursions; maybe 002 or 006.

Thank you for explaining!