Crown Princess Hawaii - 15 Feb to 2 Mar - Trip Prep & Live

arctickitty

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If history is your thing, Lahaina was the Kingdom of Hawaii capital way back when.  Lots of historical buildings to pop in and out of.  All the shops are the same.  But there is Lappert’s ice cream.  And I’m sure Tiki Dave told you about the shave ice place (not my favorite).  Look for some original Maui Potato chips or Manju. Last chance to visit Hilo Hattie’s for your free shell necklace/free shuttle.  

Original Maui Divers and Pacific Whale Foundation are on Front Street.  And watch for whales.  

https://www.pacificwhale.org/research/hawaii-wdt-sightings-map/

Do you know how to get the shuttle to Hilo Hatties from the ship?

22 hours ago, konatyme said:

Arctic Kitty,

So did Princess require passports because of the stop in Ensenada? I've heard so many different answers to questions about this that I thought I'd ask. Our passports are in the process of being renewed; we didn't expedite them because we had no immediate travel plans. Now, however, we have some older friends who are wanting to do a cruise to Hawaii (possibly at the end of March) and want us to go with them. We can't count on having our passports back in time and aren't willing to take a chance booking.

Thanks!

@konatyme

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

This link has the exact passport rules.  Special Someone was joking about not having his, but I’d that had been the case he would have needed some alternate documents which he absolutely wouldn’t have had.

30 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

Founded by an Iolani classmate David "Junior" Yamashiro. 

You went to Iolani?   Small world.  Someday we will have to trade stories (off line).

He just opened one between Leonards and Waiola Shave Ice in Kapahulu.

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You went to Iolani?   Small world.  Someday we will have to trade stories (off line).

He just opened one between Leonards and Waiola Shave Ice in Kapahulu.

I grew up 2blocks from Lenny Rego of Leonard’s bakery. Did a lot of stuff together as kids.😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Do you know how to get the shuttle to Hilo Hatties from the ship?

HA!!!  There are ALWAYS FREE Shuttles to Hilo Hatties.  BUT, Hattie's is WALKING distance from the Tender drop off point.  It's located in Lahaina Town in an OUTLET shopping center.  At least it was in FALL 2019.  

Edited by mikjr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikjr said:

HA!!!  There are ALWAYS FREE Shuttles to Hilo Hatties.  BUT, Hattie's is WALKING distance from the Tender drop off point.  It's located in Lahaina Town in an OUTLET shopping center.  At least it was in FALL 2019.  

Well, now you have confused me.  LOL  Easy to do.  Is Hilo Hatties not in Hilo?

3 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

It’s not in Hilo. On the Big Island it’s in Kona. On Maui it’s in Lahaina and Kaanapali. On Kauai it’s in Lihue. On Oahu it’s in the Ala Moana shopping center in Honolulu. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Every Island has a Hilo Hatties... it's the Walmart of the Hawaiian Islands!!  AND, they have Walmarts and Costco also on every Island

52 minutes ago, mikjr said:

Every Island has a Hilo Hatties... it's the Walmart of the Hawaiian Islands!!  AND, they have Walmarts and Costco also on every Island

Not every island.  None on Lana'i or Moloka'i (no Walmart/Costco).  Hilo doesn't have a Costco or Sam's Club.  They closed the Hilo Hattie in Hilo (so ironic) and their very large flagship store in Honolulu.  Now, just a shell of a hallway at Ala Moana Center.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:03 AM, Bettyboop66 said:

I am absolutely loving reading your trip report!! I’ve giggled at almost every post😉 I can’t wait to hear the rest of the story…….

23 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It will be interesting if the Crown makes a stop (and anchors) in Lahaina.  You have small craft warnings until Friday.

https://weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/1ac5e176d381bf6d47b60d639826072a13dd04cc48a8902ec1ef2379ef614f21?phenomena=SC&significance=Y&areaid=PHZ118&office=PHFO&etn=0008

Don't know where you would go since Kona would be a tender port too.  Maybe you will luck out and have a sail by the NaPali Coast.  

I am so proud of you for trying surfing (the sport of the Ali'i).  Now you should try a Big Wave...40 footer!

I am sorry to disappoint everyone, but the tender ride to Lahaina this morning was the smoothest I’ve ever been on.

C7476CC3-DF01-4BB4-AE8E-261F3EB9D334.thumb.jpeg.db5e9eb1d353991fe0e50b09ee2bd990.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/22/2023 at 11:14 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

When I had my bilateral total knee replacementssss...I had a device that iced and compressed.  It was like a small ice chest.  I can't imagine taking that on a cruise with you.  Glad you do have something that works when you travel.  

Did you get to the top of Leahi?  I remember doing this in my not so younger days on unpaved path.  If my friends had told me there were 99 steps at the end, I would never have started (they knew better).  Was it worth it?  No, there are youtube videos with great aerial shots. Plus I live there.  

Yes, we made it to the top.  It was a really fun time for us both.  

• Like 3

I am disappointed as I watched the bridge cam.  We are getting battered in California.  It's cold....didn't break 60 today.  And there you are, having a warm and wonderful time in Lahaina.  Looking forward to hearing how your last port day went.  

Glad I didn't read about your rescue on your hike up Diamond Head.  At least twice a month, some senior has to be airlifted out.  

9 hours ago, mikjr said:

Oh thanks so much for clearing that up.  Now it makes perfect sense.  Bless you.  lolol

Tender tickets were superfluous yesterday morning.  

We had Grouper and were told to expect it  9-9:30 am.  We therefore took it easy in the morning and slept in.  I had to work hard at this and managed to stay asleep until 6:24.  They flew through calling the groups and Grouper was called by 8am.  It seemed like they eventually repeated group names.  We tried to hustle up which for a buttercup like me means we got to the tender around 8:30. 

We wandered around Lahaina without a plan until I asked Special Someone, “Did you research bikes here?”

(He loves riding).

I thought he said “Oh” but I think he actually said no, but moments later he was on the phone and then we were on our way to pick up bikes for the day.

Alfie met us and set us up with 7 speed cruisers.  

B0A80D72-1A5B-4F59-84E3-515217ABFBC3.thumb.jpeg.b3fe2678ec6c500b1418fad4adeb9112.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tutumomickey said:

Need help from my CC friends. Starting to pack for my upcoming Hawaii cruise. Wondering how many days out of and back into California it is cool and how cold is it? Thanks. Know I can't pack all shorts but do not want to overpack cold weather gear.

@tutomomickey I’m not the best person to ask as I think it’s all hot.  I did notice a change in the breeze from cool to warm air after about 2 days after leaving California.

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Not every island.  None on Lana'i or Moloka'i (no Walmart/Costco).  Hilo doesn't have a Costco or Sam's Club.  They closed the Hilo Hattie in Hilo (so ironic) and their very large flagship store in Honolulu.  Now, just a shell of a hallway at Ala Moana Center.

Yes, there is no Costco in Hilo, but there is one in Kona on the Big Island.