Carnival Corporation Axing Three Ships

tring

On 2/11/2023 at 11:43 AM, tring said:

I have said for a while that this cruising bubble will come to an end, is this the begining of the end which the cruise lines have brought upon themselves?  Perhaps another whole thread there, but must admit I am not particularly bothered given the chsnges.  It is very understandable that ports are wanting to restrict cruise passengers, given the effect cruising is having in quite a number of places.

The "luxury ships", which all seem to be about 60,000 ton, are big compared to what we have mainly travelled on pre pandemic.  Two of those in the same port is still a whole load of people and many of the itineraries are still fairly "run of the mill" for those of us who have been cruising for a while.  It is probably only the expedition ships that will continue to go to really less well trodden places, and even then the environmental restrictions are increasing all the time and I understand quite a number of those ships are currently being built, so what happens with them in a few years?

I agree. Iona this last week didn’t really impact Hamburg or Rotterdam. They’re big, busy cities. The terminals aren’t geared towards casual shopping either - no newspapers or souvenirs for instance. I imagine it will be a very different experience in places like Olden. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I agree. Iona this last week didn’t really impact Hamburg or Rotterdam. They’re big, busy cities. The terminals aren’t geared towards casual shopping either - no newspapers or souvenirs for instance. I imagine it will be a very different experience in places like Olden. 

I agree there wouldn't be a major impact but ships of that size do impact. I called into Hamburg in December the day after Iona had been there. There was an excellent guide on one of my shuttle buses who remarked that the previous day had been a nightmare as a huge ship had been in town. She said they struggled to provide enough shuttle buses and she wasn't able to give pax the service she wants to.