Carnival Corporation Axing Three Ships

tring

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But P&O were still selling future cruises on her, right up until the day her sale was announced! 

Yep same with other cruise lines. Same with Airlines, hotels it’s a common thing to do. 

Companies need to earn money along with interest. I believe the main reason is because the deal could fall through at the very last minute. SeaJets are known for pulling out last minute etc but if they are going to get a good sale then needs must.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Yep same with other cruise lines. Same with Airlines, hotels it’s a common thing to do. 

Companies need to earn money along with interest. I believe the main reason is because the deal could fall through at the very last minute. SeaJets are known for pulling out last minute etc but if they are going to get a good sale then needs must.

Agreed.

A US poster implied that if cruises were being offered for sale on a ship, that ship would be "safe".

That is patently not the case.

• Like 2

Re Volendam: Could be various reasons, dry dock uncertain, sale, schedule not yet agreed. QE didn’t go on sale for Summer 2024 with the rest of the fleet but she’s not being sold (afaik) but her Alaska voyagers we’re not yet finalised. I don’t see the ship going unless they have a plan to get rid of Zaandsm too as it’s expensive to only keep one ship in class.

Re Costa Magica: It won’t be $200m to bring back in service but would be $200m to implement the Sunshine improvements. As all the same class ships with Carnival have had these improvements, I don’t see her going to Carnival.

I agree Carnival may continue to receive ships from Costa to increase their net capacity but think Carnival will continue to exit their two smallest, fantasy class, ships.

I agree Costa will continue to shrink. I think it will be fully part of CCL in five years. Either that or CCL will take the new Excel class ships and sell the rest (mainly Concordia class) to someone like SeaJets.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happy afloat said:

Loved the one cruise we had on Oceana. Thought the sale of her was agreed well before covid?

No one knew anything about them selling. I think Covid came along and well I guess Carnival said lets get rid of Oceana and SeaJets took the offer.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:45 AM, ace2542 said:

So who is the average cruiser then?...

Not sure there is an average P&O cruiser any more due to the diverse nature of the ships. I've not been on either of the two new ships but looking on social media, those posting seem to be quite different to the average Aurora cruiser...

• Like 5

On 12/28/2022 at 2:59 PM, Josy1953 said:

Perhaps a bad experience driving to or from Southampton. 

We always drive down the day before the cruise after sitting in the car on 1 occassion worrying whether we would make departure time because of 2 accidents ahead of us on the motorway on the way down we decided it is too stressful to take the chance. It is not usually so bad coming home but in October this year it took us over 5 hours to get home ( usually just over 3 hours ) due to getting stuck on the A34 not moving because of an overturned lorry a few miles in front of us.

Tiredness might be a problem driving and my sense of direction is not the best. We have tried National Express, but that means changing in London (Not us, the coach) and then getting a taxi to the port in Southampton. We have tried the train and staying in an hotel the previous night. Neither times a very good experience as one hotel we didn't arrive at until early hours of the morning and the other hotel, unknown to us, was on a very busy road where police cars with sirens wailing regularly passed during the night. That's without the general traffic.

On 12/30/2022 at 12:39 PM, molecrochip said:

Re Volendam: Could be various reasons, dry dock uncertain, sale, schedule not yet agreed. QE didn’t go on sale for Summer 2024 with the rest of the fleet but she’s not being sold (afaik) but her Alaska voyagers we’re not yet finalised. I don’t see the ship going unless they have a plan to get rid of Zaandsm too as it’s expensive to only keep one ship in class.

Re Costa Magica: It won’t be $200m to bring back in service but would be $200m to implement the Sunshine improvements. As all the same class ships with Carnival have had these improvements, I don’t see her going to Carnival.

I agree Carnival may continue to receive ships from Costa to increase their net capacity but think Carnival will continue to exit their two smallest, fantasy class, ships.

I agree Costa will continue to shrink. I think it will be fully part of CCL in five years. Either that or CCL will take the new Excel class ships and sell the rest (mainly Concordia class) to someone like SeaJets.

I agree with most of this except the Fantasy class ships. I think they are needed in places with height restrictions, and those places are worth keeping.

On 12/29/2022 at 10:49 PM, carlanthony24 said:

Ambience cruise was cancelled when people were in dinner. Lifeboat issue

But that wasn't because they were selling her. Mechanical/safety issues are different.

• Like 5

On 12/30/2022 at 6:36 PM, carlanthony24 said:

No one knew anything about them selling. I think Covid came along and well I guess Carnival said lets get rid of Oceana and SeaJets took the offer.

Pete14 has recently sent me info that she may be for sale again. Anyone fancy joining together to buy her?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Pete14 has recently sent me info that she may be for sale again. Anyone fancy joining together to buy her?

I will see how I go on tonight's lottery, if I get 3 numbers I will chip in, 4 numbers and I will by her outright.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I will see how I go on tonight's lottery, if I get 3 numbers I will chip in, 4 numbers and I will by her outright.

Us too .... but we don't do the lottery .............. if anyone mentions bean cans they will be deleted (a la Dr Who!)

On 1/3/2023 at 6:29 PM, Presto2 said:

Us too .... but we don't do the lottery .............. if anyone mentions bean cans they will be deleted (a la Dr Who!)

Does the same sanction apply if I mention dog food cans? By the way, it was Mrs pete14 who texted the link to you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

As I suspected in my previous post.

Sad about this one.  Pre-covid, she had been a regular to us in Edinburgh, and I've worked aboard her a few times.   Happy little ship, lovely crew and a diverse passenger demographic.

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

As I suspected in my previous post.

Sad about this one.  Pre-covid, she had been a regular to us in Edinburgh, and I've worked aboard her a few times.   Happy little ship, lovely crew and a diverse passenger demographic.

Sad yes - but at least it isn't Aurora, yet...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Sad yes - but at least it isn't Aurora, yet...

True.  I wasn't a fan of Aurora's layout when I was on board, but I do recognise a fine looking ship when I see one, and she is one.

Arcadia.  I have a much more emotional attachment going on with her.

18 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

True.  I wasn't a fan of Aurora's layout when I was on board, but I do recognise a fine looking ship when I see one, and she is one.

Arcadia.  I have a much more emotional attachment going on with her.

I would happily sail on Arcadia but prefer Aurora's Crows Nest and Carmen's Show Lounge. Aurora also has free sauna & steam rooms...

• Like 3