Cruising without Passport

schultz572

11 hours ago, Tatka said:

Me? I only lived here for 27 years.

This is the comment of yours I was referring to:

"However US is the only country where people don’t get passports in some weird reason."

Your having made such a sweeping generalization - not factually based IMO - causes me to believe you do not know what you're speaking about.  

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!

22 minutes ago, Longford said:

"However US is the only country where people don’t get passports in some weird reason."

Your having made such a sweeping generalization - not factually based IMO - causes me to believe you do not know what you're speaking about.  

Only 37% of Americans have a passport; that is a fact as published by the US State Department 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Longford said:

My disagreement is that I don't believe the reason is weird. Most travel that requires a passport is far away and expensive. In the USA we have sea shores, mountains , lakes, a great National Park system, resorts, vineyards,  California, Florida and Disney World.  And you can cruise the Caribbean without a passport.  A passport is nice to have but not necessary to have for travel for most people.Also a $100 or whatever the fee is now does not sound like much but multiply that by the number of family members and it adds up. In addition unfortuayly unlike Europe and other countries Americans don't get much vacation time. So not weird at all. 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

My disagreement is that I don't believe the reason is weird. Most travel that requires a passport is far away and expensive. In the USA we have sea shores, mountains , lakes, a great National Park system, resorts, vineyards,  California, Florida and Disney World.  And you can cruise the Caribbean without a passport.  A passport is nice to have but not necessary to have for travel for most people.Also a $100 or whatever the fee is now does not sound like much but multiply that by the number of family members and it adds up. In addition unfortuayly unlike Europe and other countries Americans don't get much vacation time. So not weird at all. 

This.

Between my kids' activities and school schedules, and my husband and my careers, we don't get much vacation time. The longest we can squeeze away at a time is a week, and most of the time that's REALLY pushing it and my husband would prefer 4-5 days max. So grand overseas vacations requiring passports just aren't in our plans for the time being, even though I do love to travel.

Most of our "vacation time" is actually allotted to travel for our kids' sports - figure skating competitions, hockey tournaments, much of which is out of state but not out of the country, so doesn't require a passport.

The last "big vacations" we've taken have been a drive over the border to Rocky Point in Mexico or a cruise to Mexico, both of which can be done with a birth certificate and ID.

Is it cheap enough to new a passport for me and my husband (both our passports have expired before the kids were born) or get passports for the kids? Sure, in the great scheme of things. But that $520 for the 4 of us can be spent on other things. That's airfare to synchronized skating Sectionals. Or 10 3-on-3 tournament entry fees, or 10 half-hour ice dance lessons.

It's just another $500, but if it isn't actually needed for our trip...

I would prefer to wait on getting passports until it's actually needed. I know that "it lasts 10 years" (5 for kids) but if we aren't going to use it again during those 10 years, why not wait until we actually do need it?

We do plenty of travel in the US. I do miss international travel (had extensively traveled in Europe in my 20s) but that will have to wait until the kids are out of the house.

Edited by DukeASUGirl
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Can you drive into Mexico without a passport?

To Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco), yes. We have never used passports. They don't check at all going into Mexico, and they do check on the drive home to Phoenix, but a birth certificate and driver's license has always been sufficient to reenter the US.

Confirmed by call to border control station literally every time we go (which admittedly has not been many times, but when we do go, it's a relatively spur of the moment thing, so no time to get a passport for a trip for which a birth certificate is totally fine).

Edited by DukeASUGirl

23 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

To Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco), yes. We have never used passports. They don't check at all going into Mexico, and they do check on the drive home to Phoenix, but a birth certificate and driver's license has always been sufficient to reenter the US.

Confirmed by call to border control station literally every time we go (which admittedly has not been many times, but when we do go, it's a relatively spur of the moment thing, so no time to get a passport for a trip for which a birth certificate is totally fine).

You need to purchase a FMM(tourist visa) when driving into Mexico.  Even though they just wave you through, does not mean you don't need a passport and FMM in Mexico.  Has nothing to do with coming back into the US.  If you don't have a passport and FMM you are breaking the law in Mexico.

The guys waving you thru at the boarder are customs, not immigration.  You need to stop and buy the FMM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Longford said:

Generalization? Less than 50% of American citizens have passports. Many got passports after they became mandatory to fly to Mexico/Canada/Caribbeans. 
I’m not generalizing … 

Happy New Year!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Generalization? Less than 50% of American citizens have passports. Many got passports after they became mandatory to fly to Mexico/Canada/Caribbeans. 
I’m not generalizing … 

Happy New Year!!!

Passports are sought when individuals expect to travel outside the USA.  Such as the 152 million Americans holding passports in 2022.  Not as you assert ... some weird reason.  Actually, an understandable reason.  Not only generalizations.  Pejorative suggestions.  

Edited by Longford

27 minutes ago, artvlay said:

I have a New Jersey driver's license that says, "not for real ID purposes"

Will this be acceptable as the picture ID to board?.

You don’t need Real ID as picture ID to cruise. You will need Real ID if you use a drivers licence for ID on domestic air flights in May 7 of 2025. So you don’t actually need Real ID for anything right now. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 1/1/2023 at 5:38 PM, Longford said:

Passports are sought when individuals expect to travel outside the USA.  Such as the 152 million Americans holding passports in 2022.  Not as you assert ... some weird reason.  Actually, an understandable reason.  Not only generalizations.  Pejorative suggestions.  

Passport takes time to process. Sometimes a very long time. Makes sense to have it and use it when needed. Numerous people get driver license even while aren’t planning to use it right away. 

You suddenly want to have a vacation in Cancun to where you need to fly with a passport, you are out of luck. Anyways … people are doing stranger things. 

39 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Passport takes time to process. Sometimes a very long time. Makes sense to have it and use it when needed. Numerous people get driver license even while aren’t planning to use it right away. 

You suddenly want to have a vacation in Cancun to where you need to fly with a passport, you are out of luck. Anyways … people are doing stranger things. 

DLs are:

A) Cheaper

B) Easier to carry

C) Quicker to obtain

I have never in my life thought "oh, let's go on vacation overseas" and NOT had time to get a passport.  If you're in a spot in your life that you can all of a sudden go on an international trip, good for you.  The MAJORITY of people in the US don't have the time or money to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

DLs are:

A) Cheaper

B) Easier to carry

C) Quicker to obtain

I have never in my life thought "oh, let's go on vacation overseas" and NOT had time to get a passport.  If you're in a spot in your life that you can all of a sudden go on an international trip, good for you.  The MAJORITY of people in the US don't have the time or money to do so. 

Nothing weird about travel habits of Americans.

"Whether before or during the pandemic, international travel is something a 71% majority of U.S. adults have done at some point in their lives, according to a June Pew Research Center survey. By contrast, around a quarter (27%) have not traveled abroad."

Source:  

Most Americans have traveled abroad, but this varies by income, education, race | Pew Research Center

" ... at some point in their lives ... " can mean some of the travel was to countries when, in years past, a Passport was not mandatory.

Compared to Europeans and nationals of some other countries, USA residents do not enjoy similar vacation and time-off benefits and the less days available to travel coupled with the vast vacation opportunities in the USA for which the cost of that USA travel can be less expensive and easier to accomplish than going international ... somewhat explains travel habits.  For someone who understands the cultural differences between nationals of different countries ... there's nothing weird about this.

I don't know what first-time passport applicant timeline is in the USA.  When I renewed earlier this year the renewal process took less than 10 days.  In the USA, given the limit on vacation days for adults and children in school ... advance planning is typical and impulsive travel is not the norm.  These have been my experiences. 

On 1/1/2023 at 11:15 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

Only 37% of Americans have a passport; that is a fact as published by the US State Department 

In 2022 there are approx. 152 million valid US Passports in circulation.  

Source:  Reports and Statistics (state.gov)

January 1, 2022 the population of the USA was 332,403,650.

Source:  Happy New Year 2022! (census.gov)

The facts published by the U.S. Government agencies illustrate that the % of Americans who hold valid Passports is 46%.

On 1/2/2023 at 9:44 AM, Charles4515 said:

You don’t need Real ID as picture ID to cruise. You will need Real ID if you use a drivers licence for ID on domestic air flights in May 7 of 2025. So you don’t actually need Real ID for anything right now. 

Read this:

"The REAL ID Act establishes minimum security standards for license issuance and production and prohibits certain federal agencies from accepting for certain purposes driver’s licenses and identification cards from states not meeting the Act’s minimum standards. The purposes covered by the Act are: accessing certain federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and, boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft."

Source:  About REAL ID | Homeland Security (dhs.gov)

On 1/1/2023 at 1:03 PM, DukeASUGirl said:

"Travelers entering Mexico by land should have a valid passport book or card.  If you enter Mexico by land and plan to travel beyond the immediate border area (approximately 12 miles or 20 kilometers into Mexico), you must stop at a National Migration Institute (INM) office to obtain an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM), even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials. INM may opt to allow tourists entry of up to 180 days without a visa or may limit authorized stays to shorter periods at their discretion; visitors should confirm the specific length of authorized stay written on the entry permit (FMM). Mexican immigration authorities could ask you to present both your passport and entry permit at any point and may detain you while they review your immigration status if you are not carrying your passport and proof of legal status in Mexico, or if you have overstayed your authorized stay. Immigration check points are common in the interior of Mexico, including in popular tourist areas far from the border."

Source:  Mexico International Travel Information (state.gov)

On 1/1/2023 at 11:44 AM, Charles4515 said:

Actually, it can be more expensive to fly across the US than it can be from the US to Europe or the Caribbean.   Why do you keep saying Americans don't get much vacation time as an excuse.  On average they don't, but they get enough to travel overseas if they choose to.  The reality is, American's don't use all their vacation time, but Europeans do.   Before I retired I got 5 weeks of annual leave a year and almost everyone I know gets 4 or 5 after a few years of employment.   Iran actually gets the most.  Want  to live there?

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2023 at 3:51 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

DLs are:

A) Cheaper

B) Easier to carry

C) Quicker to obtain

We travel internationally from the time we were 30 with 10 years old kid. Europe, Caribbeans.

Maybe it’s more about priorities. 

When I check hotels on Cape Cod (near us) … people can travel internationally. All inclusive  in Cancun (or other places) with flights are cheaper.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:33 PM, BND said:

Actually, it can be more expensive to fly across the US than it can be from the US to Europe or the Caribbean.   Why do you keep saying Americans don't get much vacation time as an excuse.  On average they don't, but they get enough to travel overseas if they choose to.  The reality is, American's don't use all their vacation time, but Europeans do.   Before I retired I got 5 weeks of annual leave a year and almost everyone I know gets 4 or 5 after a few years of employment.   Iran actually gets the most.  Want  to live there?

I agree. Our first cruise in Europe was when we were 31-32 and had 10 days of vacation each. We combined week cruise and long weekend and had a nice cruise out of Barcelona. On our way back we even had 1 full day in London.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 12:21 PM, Tatka said:

We travel internationally from the time we were 30 with 10 years old kid. Europe, Caribbeans.

Maybe it’s more about priorities. 

When I check hotels on Cape Cod (near us) … people can travel internationally. All inclusive  in Cancun (or other places) with flights are cheaper.

On 1/11/2023 at 12:25 PM, Tatka said:

I agree. Our first cruise in Europe was when we were 31-32 and had 10 days of vacation each. We combined week cruise and long weekend and had a nice cruise out of Barcelona. On our way back we even had 1 full day in London.

Good for you?  I personally would rather have multiple small vacations than one longer one (not against long vacation, I just don't want it taking up all of my vacation time).  

My point was I've never had an opportunity/desire to say "let's go to Mexico (or Caribbean or Europe or anywhere requiring a passport)" and NOT have time to get a passport.  So those who argue "with a passport, you can just pick up and go don't have much of an argument IMO.  YMMV. 

We had 2 vacations back then.  5 days each. One we used for European cruise, another for domestic cruise.

We do not tie getting passports for specific vacations. Got them right after we were naturalized and just renewed every 10 years (twice so far). It is not only for Cancun or Europe... There is Canada 5 hours from us too. Once every 10 years ....

I got your point, it is just so easy to obtain it and it solves so many problems.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:34 PM, schultz572 said:

Many of these travelers in my group have not travelled outside the USA. Sounds odd to us on these message boards but many people have not left the United States. I agree obtaining a passport is easy but helping and hoping 12-15 people submit proper documents and receive their passports before mid March is what I’m referring to as “frustration”. 

While I agree that every adult that travels, plans on traveling and has children that may travel with them, SHOULD have a passport.  No doubt about it.  

Having said that, I was an Army Recruiter stationed in Flint, MI and Lapeer, MI.  You'd be surprised at the number of folks between the ages of 15 - 20 that have never, NEVER, traveled out of those cities.  And as a recruiter, that's part of the job, prequalifying people for security background checks, foreign and travel in general was part of the process.  It always amazed me.  But, not everyone had the same youthful experiences I was privileged to have had.