Why cant I choose a specific cabin?

christybell

6 hours ago, christybell said:

Hello, after many cruises but none with Princess we fancy giving the line a try. My issue is every cruise I look at I do not have an option to choose my own cabin, the only option is Guarantee. Is this normal?  Our cabin is important to us (we love an aft) so not willing to settle for a guarantee. Any /all info appreciated

Thanks

I noticed the same thing. This seems to be a new thing for Princess and very frustrating. We have cruised with Princess 8 times. If I am serious about selecting an itinerary, I go to my TA website to see if the cabin I want is available. Then I book with our TA.

Keep in mind, that it is not typically cheaper to book directly with the cruise line, which is why we book through a TA and get benefits with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christybell said:

Yep, but I specifically want an aft facing, thanks anyway appreciate your help

Just did a bit of research.  The category you want is D4.  There are 4 on each deck from 8 -14 and 2 on deck 15, so 26 total on board.   I just went on a third party cruise website and under the D4 category, it was listed as guarantee only.   The problem is that if you went with it you could get a free upgrade to a mini suite, which would result in putting you in an area where you don't want to be since I will infer you want the aft view from your balcony and the mini suite would be on the side of the ship. If you want this particular cabin category, it looks like you'll have to change ships or change dates.

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Like 1

I have heard Princess reps, as well as some TAs, say that they don't see any of these Deluxe Balcony Cabins.    This could apply to any Deluxe balcony.   Not just those Premium Deluxe Balconies.     Try telling them that they WILL see them if they pull it up, with more than two passengers if needed.

If this is still the only answer you can get,  then you would really have to do your own research...   Do supposed bookings for 3 or 4 passengers.   Choose one that you do see available.  Then find a rep or TA who knows how to help you.

This might also be done by booking the GTY,  and then requesting that the booking be assigned one of these cabin numbers.   (would then not be GTY, once assigned)

OR:   On your own, you could book that cabin, online, with the so called extra passenger.  (could be anybody)  And then turn around at some point, and cancel that person.

The real problem with booking as a GTY is far greater that you would be assigned to a non-Aft facing deluxe balcony, on ships where those are on the deck plans.   Then, there is the lessor chance that you could be assigned an upgrade to a mini-suite.  Maybe one that is not in a great location.

Odds are that by the time Princess gets around to assigning GTYs, those few aft facing deluxe minis are all taken, by people who do not want to be moved.  They are very popular.

NOTE to Christy, or to anyone:   IF YOU DO HAVE A SPECIFIC CABIN THAT YOU REALLY WANT TO KEEP,  DO MAKE SURE THAT YOU OR YOUR TA HAS THE BOOKING MARKED AS 'DO NOT UPGRADE'. 

Unwanted changes or so called micro 'upgrades' might not be as common with the new bidding for upgrade system now in place.  But it seems to be reported that this can still happen.   Check your booking frequently.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, christybell said:

Thanks, I am looking at November 2023 on Caribbean Princess.

since this is your first time with Princess, I would highly recommend to go with a much newer ship....

Caribbean Princess was old even back in 2016 when we were on her....

ETA: continued reading and saw that it's not Caribbean Princess. 🙂 Good!

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

It seems that basically the OP wants a wake view balcony cabin.

The problem is this:

-Wake view cabins are highly sought after

-There are only 26 such cabins available 

-This particular cruise has been on sale for almost a year

To expect to be able to book this cabin category now is just unrealistic. 

17 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Not true....

There are still some of these open, a year out now.

These will be showed when you select to book for more than 2 people in the cabin.

In which case, I am surprised.  I booked the last available wake view balcony cabin for a December 2023 cruise, (different ship) but booked in July this year !

12 hours ago, christybell said:

Hello, after many cruises but none with Princess we fancy giving the line a try. My issue is every cruise I look at I do not have an option to choose my own cabin, the only option is Guarantee. Is this normal?  Our cabin is important to us (we love an aft) so not willing to settle for a guarantee. Any /all info appreciated

Thanks

I have been seeing this more recently. When I tried to get a Lido deck cabin a year out all I got was guarantee. I emailed my PVP and she gave me a choice of several cabins to choose from. So.....it appears there was availability but not showing up online. Not sure why, but ask your TA or PVP to check or call Princess. 

Nini,   well, you can call it personal preference, or whatever.   But, I simply would prefer a much newer ship.  The older smaller ships do have some good things for those that want that.   But, for me the actual newer ship, and the other things that I like on a cruise are on the newer ships.   And, while most people would not see this, there are too many reports of things like plumbing issues on this older ship.

I think they made a big mistake on the newer Royal Class ships, when they took away that adult pool deck space and view, and closed in the Retreat Pool.   Not good. : ( 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Nini,   well, you can call it personal preference, or whatever.   But, I simply would prefer a much newer ship.  The older smaller ships do have some good things for those that want that.   But, for me the actual newer ship, and the other things that I like on a cruise are on the newer ships.   And, while most people would not see this, there are too many reports of things like plumbing issues on this older ship.

I think they made a big mistake on the newer Royal Class ships, when they took away that adult pool deck space and view, and closed in the Retreat Pool.   Not good. : ( 

Thanks for your comment. We will be on the CB in November 2024 for a TA, so I was curious. We loved the Golden and enjoyed the Grand, but not the Emerald (internal issues?) and will not book that ship.

We also very much loved the Regal , so we will see.

19 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I really like Regal!

I have been on Coral, but actually have not been on Caribbean.

Enjoy the cruise!

I also forgot to include our "not crazy" about the Coral either.

9 hours ago, nini said:

Thanks for your comment. We will be on the CB in November 2024 for a TA, so I was curious. We loved the Golden and enjoyed the Grand, but not the Emerald (internal issues?) and will not book that ship.

We also very much loved the Regal , so we will see.

Since when has November of 2024 sailings opened up?  I assume it's November of 2023.

• Haha 1