Connecting Staterooms with Children???

teacherman

I have purchased a cruise for my family.  We have 4 staterooms and 2 of them are connecting.  The connecting ones are for 2 parents and their 2 children, ages 12 and 15.  When I booked, I was told that there had to be one parent in each stateroom with one of the children, per RCCL policy.  So that is how we booked it.  I was also "told" that once we got on the ship, the two parents could simply sleep in one of the rooms and the two children in the other.  Have any of you done this previously?  If so, then why do we have to book it as though it is different than what will actually happen?  I don't want anyone getting into some "glitch" once we board.

You should have been able to book the kids in their own room.  RCL allows it as long as the rooms are next to each other (don’t even have to be connecting).  However we often book one adult and one child in each room because only my husband likes to get the drink package.  This way I do not have to get it.  Once we are on board we go to guest services and have new cards made for the correct rooms in which we are actually sleeping.  Honestly, sometimes we don’t even bother with that since the rooms are connecting you can enter either room and get to the other.  Enjoy!

Not sure the point of having it booked that way, maybe it gets them off the hook.

But we have put our kids in another room every trip since they were 4 and 8.

Depending on the deal they could be in rooms next door or across the hall in an inside.

We do have the balcony divider open.

Never put them in connecting rooms because that door in between does not lock.

44 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Not sure the point of having it booked that way, maybe it gets them off the hook.

But we have put our kids in another room every trip since they were 4 and 8.

Depending on the deal they could be in rooms next door or across the hall in an inside.

We do have the balcony divider open.

Never put them in connecting rooms because that door in between does not lock.

How could it not lock? Many times total strangers are in connecting rooms. We are a family of 7 so have stayed in connecting rooms many times all over, we could lock the connecting doors.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

How could it not lock? Many times total strangers are in connecting rooms. We are a family of 7 so have stayed in connecting rooms many times all over, we could lock the connecting doors.

From my past experience.

The room comes locked.  You can request it to be opened if you have both rooms.

After that it can only be opened or closed, but not lockable.

That is the way it used to be, but maybe things have changed in recent years since I no longer book them........

2 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

From my past experience.

The room comes locked.  You can request it to be opened if you have both rooms.

After that it can only be opened or closed, but not lockable.

That is the way it used to be, but maybe things have changed in recent years since I no longer book them........

I’m in agreement. We were recently on the Ovation TP and no physical way for us to lock the doors. When we boarded, the rooms were locked and we had to ask our stateroom attendant who called his manager to come and unlock it with a special key. Once unlocked we could open and close them but no way to lock them.

I've switched rooms from the one I was booked in with my daughter. Not a big deal. I went to guest services and got an extra key for each room. But I was in her room on the booking and she was in mine because no one in her room was 21 (they were 19, 19 and 20) and were weren't adjacent to them. Our rooms weren't even on the same floor. Not sure why they made you do that with this reservation though.