Ahhhhh-laska. Think I need help!

VelvetSkeeter

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

If you go with Celebrity - the cruise ends in Seward. Seward is great to spend 2 days there. Lots of things to do there. Great train to go from Seward to Anchorage. Or you can rent a car and drive around the area. I would do this if you only had 3 days.

With Celebrity only the north or south bound one way routes end or start in Seward.  X also does M

RTs out of Vancouver and Seattle.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Coral said:

If you go with Celebrity - the cruise ends in Seward. Seward is great to spend 2 days there. Lots of things to do there. Great train to go from Seward to Anchorage. Or you can rent a car and drive around the area. I would do this if you only had 3 days.

I was literally just looking at some of the Itineraries from Celebrity (comparing with Princess). I did see the 7 night Northbound that ends in Seward. Would be cool to spend a couple days there then take a the train to Anchorage, just need to plan more for the flights and a place to stay.  I also saw a few 7 nights that they offer that are  Round trip from Vancouver.  

31 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

With Celebrity only the north or south bound one way routes end or start in Seward.  X also does M

RTs out of Vancouver and Seattle.

Correct-  he indicated he wanted to do a land trip in Alaska so I mentioned the one way.

• Like 1

All the advice and information everyone has provided is awesome and greatly appreciated! It really helped me look at different things I wasn't looking at ,  and helped me to  determine what I am looking to get with this trip. I am sure this won't be my only trip to Alaska!

Based on my time frame and budget I think I am leaning towards Celebrity but still checking into Princess. Celebrity just seems like they have a few more dates and options for  one way or RT routes. They also have some nice offers that I can take advantage of. 

I am looking to see if I can swing the One Way from Vancouver to Seward because I think it would be fun to spend a couple days in Seward , take the Train to Anchorage, stay in Anchorage a night to not have to be stressed about catching a plane, then catch the flight back home. Based on the added Flight and lodging prices.

If that doesn't work then I will probably just do one of their 7 day Round Trip options from Vancouver and bookend the Pre and post cruise in Vancouver by a day or two.  Looking online it  seems that there are plenty of activates and sites to see  in Vancouver for a couple days post cruise should I do the RT route. 

For the Dates I am thinking June (my Birthday month!)  or August (can do July but keep seeing that is the busiest time) 

Still taking all the advice anyone is willing to give, and will update with a final decision - if I can make one!

Edited by VelvetSkeeter

Have been spending summers (and some winters) in Alaska for 25+  years. Bear in mind that the cost of living is higher than down in the lower states. Excursions, food, hotels,etc. are a bit pricey. Also if you need a rental car reserve early as they go fast. You will certainly enjoy Alaska as it is a wonderful state!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

Unfortunately I can't take off too much time for work so I would only have time for an added 3 or so days for a land tour (if I go that route) but maybe it would be better to just add a few days somewhere on my own after the cruise. 

With only "3 or so" days in addition to the week's cruise, it's important to deconstruct things a bit.

Coming from Florida, you'll need a day in each direction to a departure/arrival point.  Air departures from Alaska to eastern destinations are almost all overnight ("redeyes") due to the time difference - 4 hours - to eastern time.  Departures from Seattle or Vancouver are almost all in the early morning, too early to get from the dock to the airport on the same day, so there's another day shot.

If you do a one-way cruise to Seward (most lines) or to Whittier (Princess and a couple of HAL ships) you lose half a day (or a full day) getting to Anchorage and its airport.  Same in reverse if you sail southbound from those two ports.  

One of the principal destinations for cruise tours (before or after the cruise) is Denali National Park.  This incredible destination is several hours' drive (or a longish and rather boring train ride) from Anchorage.  The problem for 2023 (and possibly 2024) is that the road serving the interior of the park is closed around halfway between the park HQ and the main visitor center within the park.  (It's subject to landslides and unstable conditions, and needs to be rebuilt or re-routed.)  So visits to Denali are very limited compared to what was, or will be, the case.  You still might see some wildlife, or might not, but the benefit-cost equation needs to be evaluated.

But with only "3 or so" days, a cruise tour really seems like a no-go, given all the other logistical issues before and after the actual cruise.

So if it were me (and of course it's not) I'd look at a seven-night round-trip cruise out of Vancouver and use any extra days to explore the Vancouver area.  Fortunately, this area is stunning in its beauty, and diversity.  Just for an exercise, google the following, just as examples of things you could do.

- Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler

- Richmond Night Market

- Bard on the Beach Shakespeare festival

- Queen Elizabeth Park gardens and Bloedel Conservatory

- Lynn Canyon suspension bridge

- Stanley Park

- BC Sunshine Coast

- Fraser Valley wineries

- Granville Island market

... just to start.  

Note the main reason to sail on round trip itineraries out of Vancouver is that the ships stay on sheltered Inside Passage waters far longer than Seattle departures, which travel on open ocean west of Vancouver Island in one or both directions.  Bumpy big water, that.

• Like 2

@Gardyloo

Thanks for taking the time to give me all that information, it is appreciated!  

Agree, planning on 1 full day (at least) travel buffer to and from Vancouver, and then 2 to 3 exploring days post cruise so I guess I really need to at least 11-12 days (depending on flights) - 7 for cruise, 2 for travel buffer, 2 to 3 full days to explore.

Everything you mentioned about the travel times from Seward or Whittier to Anchorage has me convinced I just need to scratch the one-way cruise off my list for this one.  I didn’t know about the road to Denali National Park being closed so that is also a big factor and important to know, so thanks. Also wasn’t sure how long the train ride was but I see it is 4+ hours.

I think you are 100% correct. What would be best for me on this first trip to Alaska sounds like 7 night round-trip to Vancouver with a few days to explore. Just feels like it fits better and I feel calmer already 😊 .

I Googled the things you listed to do in Vancouver – Wow! As you said, stunning! I want to do all of it lol. I also saw a Gondola that looked amazing. I am looking forward to spending some extra days in Vancouver! I know we will love it.

So now here is where I am:

95% think I am going to book with Celebrity, 7-nights, Round-Trip from Vancouver. A few exploring days in Vancouver.

As far as exploring Vancouver Pre or post cruise - I was originally thinking post but now it may be more convenient to get to Vancouver a few days early, rest up from flight while also exploring the next few days, no rush or stress to make the ship’s departure port, enjoy 7 nights on cruise, disembark, stay as needed in Vancouver till flight home.

Thanks!

The Crown Princess has great 10-11 night itineraries RT out of Vancouver. Goes to the usual ports and a few more ones that most ships don't go to.

I went to Whistler one fall and it was one of my favorite places to visit. Such a beautiful drive and beautiful area (from Vancouver).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

The Crown Princess has great 10-11 night itineraries RT out of Vancouver. Goes to the usual ports and a few more ones that most ships don't go to.

I went to Whistler one fall and it was one of my favorite places to visit. Such a beautiful drive and beautiful area (from Vancouver).

Cool, I will look at that , I am making a list to pick from

Hi everyone,  thanks for all the help and advice! 

I booked it!  Based on my timeframe I went with;  

• Cruise Line: Celebrity
  • Ship: Eclipse
  • Duration: 7 nights
  • Port: RT from Vancouver
  • Sailing date: June 4th. 
  • Cabin: Balcony Aquaclass  -have to have a balcony,  and I like that the Aquaclass has access to Blu and the spa. 
  • Includes - gratuities, wifi, beverage package and OBC

I plan to arrive in Vancouver early and spend at least 2 -3 full days (not including the travel day) exploring! 

Can't wait!!!!

Now I just have to plan out some awesome excursions! More Decisions I will spend far too long trying to make 🙂

Edited by VelvetSkeeter

I would definitely check out Oceania! Long port days! Great excursions! 
Also American Cruise Line!

Smaller ships are great!

I have been on many cruise lines big to small!

I did American Cruise Line American Spirit Puget Sound cruise September 2022! Amazing ship, cruise and people! I’m booked for June 2024! That was the first available solo cabin otherwise it’s 175%!

I’m a fan of Holland America but port days in Alaska just too short! I find Princess and Celebrity not solo friendly! As a couple Celebrity was amazing! Solo no!

But I can’t wait that long! So after a lot of research I found Oceania Regatta! Now solo cruise program for obstructed ocean view cabins on a great deck! 

I’m booked for July 21,2023! Round trip Seattle which I like!

Ketchikan 9-5, Sitka 9-6,Juneau 7a-8p, Icy Straight 7a-6p,Wrangell 9-6, Prince Rupert 9-6, Victoria 8a-11p! I like the long port days!

The ports I miss in 2023 I’ll get to in 2024!

I am currently exploring shore excursions!

I’ve never been on Oceania but because of the small ship, 650 passengers, solo program, long port days and round trip Seattle I booked it!

I’m staying at the Waterfront Marriott for three nights prior to the cruise! I’ll be able to explore the beautiful waterfront area!

September 2022 I stays three nights at the Marriott Renaissance in Seattle prior to the Puget Sound cruise. 

Edited by Wasasalad

2010 , We did  a Celebrity cruise first and tour for a total of 10 days. Fantastic , I wouldn’t travel all that way without the land tour. Go early before the pests are out. We are returning in May , 2023 starting in Fairbanks and cruising to Vancouver on Holland America. 

On 1/8/2023 at 11:44 AM, Wasasalad said:

I would definitely check out Oceania! Long port days! Great excursions! 
Also American Cruise Line!

Smaller ships are great!

I have been on many cruise lines big to small!

I did American Cruise Line American Spirit Puget Sound cruise September 2022! Amazing ship, cruise and people! I’m booked for June 2024! That was the first available solo cabin otherwise it’s 175%!

I’m a fan of Holland America but port days in Alaska just too short! I find Princess and Celebrity not solo friendly! As a couple Celebrity was amazing! Solo no!

But I can’t wait that long! So after a lot of research I found Oceania Regatta! Now solo cruise program for obstructed ocean view cabins on a great deck! 

I’m booked for July 21,2023! Round trip Seattle which I like!

Ketchikan 9-5, Sitka 9-6,Juneau 7a-8p, Icy Straight 7a-6p,Wrangell 9-6, Prince Rupert 9-6, Victoria 8a-11p! I like the long port days!

The ports I miss in 2023 I’ll get to in 2024!

I am currently exploring shore excursions!

I’ve never been on Oceania but because of the small ship, 650 passengers, solo program, long port days and round trip Seattle I booked it!

I’m staying at the Waterfront Marriott for three nights prior to the cruise! I’ll be able to explore the beautiful waterfront area!

September 2022 I stays three nights at the Marriott Renaissance in Seattle prior to the Puget Sound cruise. 

Those are great Port times, luckily the Cruise I am on has some long Port times as well thanks to advice I got on this forum, but not as many ports. I will look into Oceania and American as I start planning for my for my next cruise! Sounds like you have a great cruise booked for July – hope you have an amazing time!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 3:53 PM, MickeyP said:

2010 , We did  a Celebrity cruise first and tour for a total of 10 days. Fantastic , I wouldn’t travel all that way without the land tour. Go early before the pests are out. We are returning in May , 2023 starting in Fairbanks and cruising to Vancouver on Holland America. 

I am looking forward to the Celebrity cruise, have never been on a cruise with them, the ship we are on - the Epic ,  look nice! I am interested in Holland America and was on my list so def one I may try next time. If you remember report back on how you liked your cruise in May on Holland!

4 hours ago, misguy said:

Here is a playlist of 60+ videos about cruising in Alaska, I am sure you will find it helpful,

Great Thanks for that link, a lot of good information!

So far I am thinking 

• Vancouver - explore 2 full days
  • Icy Strait Point - Whale Watching with Glacier Wind Charters (smae 12 person 3rd party tour)
  • Hubbard Glacier - only option is the Hubbard Glacier Wilderness Exploration. Just trying t figure out if it is worth 340 per person vs just staying on our Balcony on the ship. 

• Juneau - Helicopter / Dog Sledding tour with extra landing via Alaska Shore Tours or Alaska Shore Excursions -  but seems like they all use Costal for the Helicopter. 

• Ketchikan - TBD

22 minutes ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

I am looking forward to the Celebrity cruise, have never been on a cruise with them, the ship we are on - the Eclipse ,  look nice! I am interested in Holland America and was on my list so def one I may try next time. If you remember report back on how you liked your cruise in May on Holland!

Edited by VelvetSkeeter

18 hours ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

Great Thanks for that link, a lot of good information!

So far I am thinking 

• Vancouver - explore 2 full days
  • Icy Strait Point - Whale Watching with Glacier Wind Charters (smae 12 person 3rd party tour)
  • Hubbard Glacier - only option is the Hubbard Glacier Wilderness Exploration. Just trying t figure out if it is worth 340 per person vs just staying on our Balcony on the ship. 

• Juneau - Helicopter / Dog Sledding tour with extra landing via Alaska Shore Tours or Alaska Shore Excursions -  but seems like they all use Costal for the Helicopter. 

• Ketchikan - TBD

In my opinion, there is no comparison between looking down at a glacier from far away on a big ship to looking up at a glacier from relatively close on a small boat. I’d say go for it with the small ship excursion at Hubbard.

18 minutes ago, Bella0714 said:

In my opinion, there is no comparison between looking down at a glacier from far away on a big ship to looking up at a glacier from relatively close on a small boat. I’d say go for it with the small ship excursion at Hubbard.

Our small ship excursion at Hubbard last summer was stunning. We had a lot of calving and it was so exciting to be up close and personal.  I realize that this excursion is not everyone's cup of tea --- I am glad that we did it and will be repeating it again in July.

1 hour ago, Bella0714 said:

I would agree, my concern was the Mainship getting close enough to where the small boat didn't matter much - I am going in July, I think I will book it. AT least it gets me off the ship for a bit that day, albeit to another boat lol

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Our small ship excursion at Hubbard last summer was stunning. We had a lot of calving and it was so exciting to be up close and personal.  I realize that this excursion is not everyone's cup of tea --- I am glad that we did it and will be repeating it again in July.

Good to know! And it got much closer than the main ship? I really want to do it so I think I will just book it! at 340 pp I was just concerned because some folks said the Main ship they were on got really close anyway. I didn't want to spend $700 to get 50 feet closer 🙂

Edited by VelvetSkeeter

11 minutes ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

Good to know! And it got much closer than the main ship? I really want to do it so I think I will just book it! at 340 pp I was just concerned because some folks said the Main ship they were on got really close anyway. I didn't want to spend $700 to get 50 feet closer 🙂

Yes, we got much closer than the cruise ship.  Booking this excursion is a tough decision especially since there is a high price attached to it.  Our Princess price for this excursion was/is $299.95 per person.  I don't know why Celebrity charges more but they do.  We know there is a risk when booking this excursion:  might be cancelled due to fog or not see any calving at all.  However, it is a risk that we are willing to take --- again, not everyone feels the same way and that is OK --- you have to do what is most comfortable for you.  The thrill for us is being up close and hearing the loud thunderous cracks as the ice breaks away and falls into the water.  In our case, the calving hit the water so hard that it created a wave and we had to move the boat a bit -- it was very exciting.  I am attaching a few pictures for you to see what happened during our visit to Hubbard.  Probably not typical, but we were thrilled to be blessed with such a wonderful event that day.

DSC_8930.JPG

• Like 1