Texting on Nieuw Statendam

CruiserKris34

I've tried searching for this topic, but I find it confusing.  Does texting work on the ship & do you need to have wi-fi to use it?  I have Verizon & found on their website that they have a "pay as you go" plan.   My niece is not getting wi-fi, but we need to be able to text/communicate with her on board.  I have heard that we should put our phones on Airplane mode, but then that blocks texts, correct?  Thanks!  Kris

If you use an Apple device, iMessage worlds, but you need an internet account.

HALs chat tool doesn’t do the best Jo. Of notifying you if you have a new message, but is pretty easy to use. It does NOT transmit messages outside of the ship’s network (eg, can’t text to anyone not on the ship/registered with the ship).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 0106 said:

You can message people through the Navigator app.  You do not need a wifi plan to use the Navigator App on the ship.

Thanks for the info.....I just read the reviews and they are horrible 😞  Sounds like it is not reliable.

52 minutes ago, CruiserKris34 said:

Thanks for the info.....I just read the reviews and they are horrible 😞  Sounds like it is not reliable.

The text notifications via WiFi on the Navigator (at zero cost) are as reliable, visually and audibly, as regular texting.  This is completely different than relying on the internet if it’s slow or unavailable in some locations (i.e. a trans-Atlantic).  In other words, it will still work if the internet is out of satellite range.

I posted a description with screenshots here:

Edited by *Miss G*

1 hour ago, CruiserKris34 said:

I've tried searching for this topic, but I find it confusing.  Does texting work on the ship & do you need to have wi-fi to use it?  I have Verizon & found on their website that they have a "pay as you go" plan.   My niece is not getting wi-fi, but we need to be able to text/communicate with her on board.  I have heard that we should put our phones on Airplane mode, but then that blocks texts, correct?  Thanks!  Kris

You put your phone/tablet on airplane mode then turn on WiFi and connect to the ship’s WiFi.  Make sure you download Navigator before you board.  Once you are connected to the ship’s WiFi you open Navigator and everything works, even with airplane mode on.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CruiserKris34 said:

Chat messaging through the HAL Navigator app is a totally different thing than your phone's normal SMS texting feature.  This chat feature has nothing to do with your normal phone texting service.

The Navigator app allows you to message other passengers on the ship that have the Navigator app installed on their devices.  It works through the ship's wifi system and is free to anyone onboard.  You do not need to buy internet access to use this chat feature--it is on-ship only.  As others have said, you set your phone to airplane mode and turn on wifi to connect to the ship wifi system.  Once you do that, select the chat icon at the top right of the Navigator app page.  From there you set up the chat to identify on-ship contacts you know....they need to do the same too.  If I recall correctly, you need to know their name and cabin number (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

This chat feature works pretty well but you need to understand its limitations.  You have to have the Navigator app running and you have to check the chat icon for messages.  You won't get any notifications other than the chat icon showing a number of messages.  If you shut down the Navigator app, you won't get any of these chat messages.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CruiserKris34 said:

You can text with Verizon on SMS using Celluar at Sea but it will cost you 50 cents a text to send and 5 cents to receive.   So better off using ships wifi and the navigator chat feature - I found notifications to work if you have your phone set up to display them.

image.png.3334210673eef593760d461c35bd6ef6.png

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I’ve just checked my link and it is no longer going to that specific post so I’m copying it here to save anyone from having to search that entire thread.

The Navigator app now notifies you if there is a chat message, a new charge has been applied to your account, or it’s time for a scheduled dinner reservation or an excursion.  It is not perfect, by any means, but it’s a good start.  It’s not specific in its notifications, as yet, so you have to figure that one out for yourself.  For example, if there’s a new chat message you will be able to see it in your inbox on the top right-hand side of the screen.  But if it’s for something else you will have to use intuition, like noticing an additional charge on your statement.  I appreciate progress, even if it’s slow.

These are the notifications you will see on an iPhone/iPad screen, complete with the regular audible ping that you get with iOS.

321BE775-81DC-4AF2-8DEC-04BD1B23F48E.thumb.jpeg.6e64ead5221ee5fdaa6f0835d938b0a6.jpeg

When you launch the Navigator app you will see the “Chat” notifications if you have any messages.  If you don’t see a superscript number next to the icon/chat then that means there is probably a change to your onboard account.  Go to your statement and you will see any new credits or debits.  Other alerts include excursions or dinner reservations.

47B4944E-7D33-43E4-A09D-2D7031BE683E.thumb.jpeg.85bad23febe9ca5f16f94372316d146e.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

The Navigator app allows you to message other passengers on the ship that have the Navigator app installed on their devices.

Also available to those with a laptop. We don't have smartphone but were able to chat with DD and DS when they were on a July cruise with us.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Sorry, I’ve just checked my link and it is no longer going to that specific post so I’m copying it here to save anyone from having to search that entire thread.

The Navigator app now notifies you if there is a chat message, a new charge has been applied to your account, or it’s time for a scheduled dinner reservation or an excursion.  It is not perfect, by any means, but it’s a good start.  It’s not specific in its notifications, as yet, so you have to figure that one out for yourself.  For example, if there’s a new chat message you will be able to see it in your inbox on the top right-hand side of the screen.  But if it’s for something else you will have to use intuition, like noticing an additional charge on your statement.  I appreciate progress, even if it’s slow.

These are the notifications you will see on an iPhone/iPad screen, complete with the regular audible ping that you get with iOS.

321BE775-81DC-4AF2-8DEC-04BD1B23F48E.thumb.jpeg.6e64ead5221ee5fdaa6f0835d938b0a6.jpeg

When you launch the Navigator app you will see the “Chat” notifications if you have any messages.  If you don’t see a superscript number next to the icon/chat then that means there is probably a change to your onboard account.  Go to your statement and you will see any new credits or debits.  Other alerts include excursions or dinner reservations.

47B4944E-7D33-43E4-A09D-2D7031BE683E.thumb.jpeg.85bad23febe9ca5f16f94372316d146e.jpeg

Wow, that is very helpful.  Thanks for taking the time to let me know that!

• Like 2

My husband and I upgrade when onboard to the premium plan so we can text each other. We both have iPhones. It’s faster than through the Navigator app.  However, we have AT&T so can’t speak for Verizon. We have signed up through AT&T for their international plan which is $10 a day for both of us. What is nice about the plan is that you only pay for 10 days per month. Maybe Verizon has something similar. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

My husband and I upgrade when onboard to the premium plan so we can text each other. We both have iPhones. It’s faster than through the Navigator app.  However, we have AT&T so can’t speak for Verizon. We have signed up through AT&T for their international plan which is $10 a day for both of us. What is nice about the plan is that you only pay for 10 days per month. Maybe Verizon has something similar. 

But to clarify Sharon's post that $10 per day is when in port. Doesn't cover the cellular at sea charges if you try while cruising on board. Navigator chat feature is nice but does have delays sometimes so you may not receive message for hours on some occasions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, REOVA said:

But to clarify Sharon's post that $10 per day is when in port. Doesn't cover the cellular at sea charges if you try while cruising on board. Navigator chat feature is nice but does have delays sometimes so you may not receive message for hours on some occasions. 

Yes, that’s correct, however we never use Cellular at Sea. Way too expensive—we text each other a lot. We always keep our iPhones on airplane mode while at sea and still get each other’s texts, but remember that I said this is on the upgraded internet package. Once docked we switch off airplane mode and use the $10 a day feature on our AT&T plan. It really is nice especially when on a port intensive cruise like we were in the Med in June on the Oosterdam. DH was in covid jail for 6 days on that cruise and we texted frequently. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Yes, that’s correct, however we never use Cellular at Sea. Way too expensive—we text each other a lot. We always keep our iPhones on airplane mode while at sea and still get each other’s texts, but remember that I said this is on the upgraded internet package. Once docked we switch off airplane mode and use the $10 a day feature on our AT&T plan. It really is nice especially when on a port intensive cruise like we were in the Med in June on the Oosterdam. DH was in covid jail for 6 days on that cruise and we texted frequently. 

Yes Iphone uses IMessage which works great with ship wifi. I have an Android so my SMS texts won't work in airplane mode so I am stuck with Navigator chat. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 7:07 PM, REOVA said:

Yes Iphone uses IMessage which works great with ship wifi. I have an Android so my SMS texts won't work in airplane mode so I am stuck with Navigator chat. 😁

I do not think this is true, I can send texts over Wifi, no problem.  Can also call over Wifi. I have no problems sending texts in airplane mode with WIFI on. 

Done it from home and from 35,000' Altitude.

Android and Samsung Galaxy S21+ Ultra.

There could be some reason that this does not work on the ship, won't know until Feb 19.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdd123 said:

I do not think this is true, I can send texts over Wifi, no problem.  Can also call over Wifi. I have no problems sending texts in airplane mode with WIFI on. 

Done it from home and from 35,000' Altitude.

Android and Samsung Galaxy S21+ Ultra.

There could be some reason that this does not work on the ship, won't know until Feb 19.

It may be specific carrier and you do have a newer phone. Or like you say difference in ship satellite and InFlight service.  I was told SMS (cell texting) is not available when airplane mode is on but could use MMS data. I couldn't get texts to go through until in port.  Also I don't remember if wifi calling was turned on when I tried. When you get on, see if there is a difference in texting with wifi calling turned off and on. 

3 hours ago, REOVA said:

It may be specific carrier and you do have a newer phone. Or like you say difference in ship satellite and InFlight service.  I was told SMS (cell texting) is not available when airplane mode is on but could use MMS data. I couldn't get texts to go through until in port.  Also I don't remember if wifi calling was turned on when I tried. When you get on, see if there is a difference in texting with wifi calling turned off and on. 

Wifi calling needs to be enabled for sure and your carrier must support SMSand/or MMS over wifi.   I will report back.