2023 Grand World Voyage with The Inside Cabin

The-Inside-Cabin

12 hours ago, bcummin said:

I thought that we were in Antarctica in March, but it was February 11 - 14, 2009 on ms Prinsendam.  The daytime temperatures then were 34 to 35 degrees.  Warmer than we expected.

Barbara

It can be much colder in Cleveland in February than in Antarctica on the Peninsula.   Not sure about early March.   Crossing the Drake Passage is what can get more exciting than lower temps in Antarctica.  Here is website that talks about visiting Antarctica in March.   Antarctica in March | Swoop Antarctica (swoop-antarctica.com)

They are selling Antarctica Tours in March - so FWIW..

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pete:

Hope you're enjoying your Day At Sea.

Wanted to Update you on San Diego Local TV Fox News -- Re: HAL that aired today, Tues Jan 31st.

HAL Officials were in San Diego Today at Cruise Pier - With Koningsdam docked in the background of newsclip.

HAL Officials had a HUGH $450,000 Check displayed - the kind of Check used when Large $$ are won/donated.

TV Coverage - Announcement of HAL donating $450,000 to Ukraine.

HAL officials explained how the $450,000 was raised via HAL passengers participating in the

"Walk for a Cause" while On Board a Cruise.

So, a BIG THANK YOU SHOUT OUT to all 2023 GWV passengers - that may be participating in the "Walk For a Cause".  Know that your efforts do make a significant difference & are recognized.

Edited by CruisingGrandmaW
correct grammar
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 8

5 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

Hi Pete:

Hope you're enjoying your Day At Sea.

Wanted to Update you on San Diego Local TV Fox News -- Re: HAL that aired today, Tues Jan 31st.

HAL Officials were in San Diego Today at Cruise Pier - With Koningsdam docked in the background of newsclip.

HAL Officials had a HUGH $450,000 Check displayed - the kind of Check used when Large $$ are won/donated.

TV Coverage - Announcement of HAL donating $450,000 to Ukraine.

HAL officials explained how the $450,000 was raised via HAL passengers participating in the

"Walk for a Cause" while On Board a Cruise.

So, a BIG THANK YOU SHOUT OUT to all 2023 GWV passengers - that may be participating in the "Walk For a Cause".  Know that your efforts do make a significant difference & are recognized.

Thanks for sharing.   We will probably have one Walk for a Cause toward the end of the cruise

Wow!! 

I have done dozens of "Walks for a Cause" on various ships, but I would have never imagined that they could raise that much $$! Kudos to HAL, their ships, and the participants who donated their time and money.

• Like 1

WHEN IS A WORLD CRUISE A WORLD CRUISE? (POST #30)

FEBRUARY 1, 2023
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2023 World Cruise
Show More Posts

Stephen Barry 1080

What makes a World Cruise a World Cruise? and Meatloaf makes an appearance on the Mainstage

When you think of a World Cruise, do you expect the cruise to circumnavigate the earth?  Some cruise lines have labeled their long cruises as World Cruises, even though they may remain in one ocean or one hemisphere.  The definition of a World Cruise in these cases appears to be any long cruise – say of over 100 days or so.  

After a little google research, I came across this definition of what it means to circumnavigate the earth.  These definitions became important when people sought to establish records for going “around the world” faster than anyone else in a particular category.  

You could go “around the world” in less than 100 feet if you drew a small circle around one of the poles.  But going around the world exactly at the equator is not very practical either.  

For a World Cruise to be considered a circumnavigation of the earth, many people have established the following criteria.  

• Start and finish at the same point, traveling in one general direction
  • Reach two antipodes (Two diametrically opposite places on Earth)
  • Cross the Equator
  • Cross all longitudes
  • Cover a minimum of 40,000km or 21,600NM (a great circle)

Everything on this list is pretty straightforward except for the antipodes.  

What is an Antipode?  

An antipode is a point on the exact opposite side of the earth (or other sphere) from a given location.  If you drew a line (vector) from your location to the center of the earth and continued that line until it emerged from the other side of the earth’s surface, that point of intersection on the other side is the antipode.  

There are several websites (HERE and HERE) that are useful for calculating the antipodes for any point on earth.  

Of all the criteria for circumnavigating the earth, the most difficult to achieve is reaching two antipodes.  Many previous World Cruises never quite get there – but we will in 2023 as we approach Auckland for our first antipodes and Malaga for the second.  

With the above in mind, our 2023 Grand World Voyage will meet the criteria for a circumnavigation of the earth or a true World Cruise.  

Antipodes.jpg Here are the locations of the two Antipodes we will cross on this Grand World Voyage

I shared this information with Capt Friso and he said he wasn’t previously aware of this information and announced that we would be receiving a special certificate as we cross our second Antipodes near Malaga in April.  

Stephen Barry rocked the Mainstage this evening in his final show.  He performed a wonderful mix of Broadway hits from Les Misérables and Phantom, along with an amazing medley of Meatloaf hits.  

Stephen-Barry.jpg

Stephen shared that while performing on the streets of London in 2016, he sang a duet with West End Star Celinde Schoenmaker.  Watch this amazing video of their performance of “All I Ask of You” with over 500K views!  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

"For a World Cruise to be considered a circumnavigation of the earth, many people have established the following criteria.  

• Cross the Equator
  • Cross all longitudes
  • Cover a minimum of 40,000km or 21,600NM (a great circle)"

We learned this on the 2016 World Cruise (which I believe you were on) when Capt. Mercer informed us we had made a true circumnavigation because we had hit antipodes near New Zealand and near Gibraltar.  I agree that a "World Cruise" should at least go around the world and end where it started, even if it doesn't quite meet this criterion for a true circumnavigation.  Labeling any long cruise as a "World Cruise" is deceptive advertising in my view.

Rick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RBB said:

"For a World Cruise to be considered a circumnavigation of the earth, many people have established the following criteria.  

• Cross the Equator
  • Cross all longitudes
  • Cover a minimum of 40,000km or 21,600NM (a great circle)"

We learned this on the 2016 World Cruise (which I believe you were on) when Capt. Mercer informed us we had made a true circumnavigation because we had hit antipodes near New Zealand and near Gibraltar.  I agree that a "World Cruise" should at least go around the world and end where it started, even if it doesn't quite meet this criterion for a true circumnavigation.  Labeling any long cruise as a "World Cruise" is deceptive advertising in my view.

Rick

I wrote a similar letter to Capt Mercer in 2016 when we were on the 2016 World- I was his source then!  2018 and 2020 never hit the Antipodes.   You really have to hit the Med and New Zealand to have chance, otherwise too much land gets in the way.

My 2016 Post on this subject is HERE

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I wrote a similar letter to Capt Mercer in 2016 when we were on the 2016 World- I was his source then!  2018 and 2020 never hit the Antipodes.   You really have to hit the Med and New Zealand to have chance, otherwise too much land gets in the way.

I should have known you would be a likely source for this information, even for Capt Mercer!  But I didn't remember him crediting you for it (although I have no doubt he did).  Senior moment, I guess.

56 minutes ago, REOVA said:

But at least we hit 0' 0' in 2018 thanks to Capt Jonathan. 🤣 

Capt Friso said we will hit 0 0 once again this cruise.   

this video is from 2018 prime meridian party     Emerald shellbacks! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, REOVA said:

But at least we hit 0' 0' in 2018 thanks to Capt Jonathan. 🤣 

Yes, we did.  And we did it again about 7 weeks ago on the Grand Africa voyage.  Almost 5 years later and there is still no sign or monument there!

Rick

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RBB said:

Yes, we did.  And we did it again about 7 weeks ago on the Grand Africa voyage.  Almost 5 years later and there is still no sign or monument there!

Rick

You have to look up. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AT SEA – DR. KAREN WOODMAN, LINGUIST, GUEST LECTURER (POST #31)

FEBRUARY 1, 2023
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2023 World Cruise
Show More Posts

Karen Woodman feature

I sat down with Karen Woodman for a brief chat

Our first two guest lecturers, Mike West, and Dr. Andy Fletcher left the ship in Papeete after the first three weeks of the cruise.  Linguist, Dr. Karen Woodman, and Geologist, Dr. Bruce Nocita, joined us in Papeete and have been presenting interesting lectures every sea day since.

I sat down with Karen for a brief chat after one of her Q and A periods.

Karen-Woodman-770-2.jpg Karen Woodman

Karen is from Cochrane, a small town in northern Ontario, where she grew up before attending the University of Toronto, majoring in Psychology.  After graduation, she headed off to Greece, where she started teaching English as a second language.  This experience sparked her interest in languages and linguistics, and she continued her graduate education, earning a Master’s degree at St Michael’s College in Vermont.

Moving west to the Pacific Coast, Karen attended the University of Victoria, where she received her PhD in Applied Linguistics.  She continued working in Victoria until moving to Australia in 2000 to help create the University of New England’s online program in Applied Linguistics.

After retiring from the Queensland University of Technology, Karen volunteered to work in Bali, helping several different Hospitality Colleges develop training programs.  These Colleges, such as Mediterranean Bali, are affiliated with cruise lines and hotels and help train students for success in these industries.  You can learn more about Med Bali HERE and look at some training videos they make available to potential cruise ship employees.

image.png

One of many issues facing cruise ship crewmembers is understanding what constitutes “good service” for guests of various nationalities.  What may be good for a US national may not be as good for a German citizen.

She started cruising in 2014 as a passenger. She was later able to use her experience teaching Tango Dancing on a cruise from Sydney to Santiago, where she learned more about enrichment speaking.  Karen connected with various cruise lines using agencies such as Cruise Ship Enrichment and Sixth Star.

You can read her bio on Cruise Ship Enrichment’s website HERE

Sixth Star’s website has interesting information about becoming an enrichment speaker and some interesting behind-the-scenes tips and tricks.  More Here.

Below is a list of the lectures Karen has presented to date.  She has about 20 lectures ready to go and much more available with a little tweaking to get them updated.  While she has done both enrichment and destination lectures, Karen prefers enrichment lectures to destination lectures as staying current with all the various destination issues is always more challenging.

• Do Languages Change Over Time?
  • Difference Between Spoken & Written Language
  • Dos and Taboos
  • Kia Ora: Maori Language & New Zealand History
  • Language Learning and Technology
  • How Ya Going? Australian and New Zealand English

Karen has traveled extensively worldwide and lives in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.  She will be with us thru Sydney, Australia, on February 9th.

BARRY SEACROFT

Barry Seacroft returned to the Mainstage and is now billed as  “MORE SAX ON STAGE”.   Once again, he put on a masterful performance that we enjoyed very much.

Seacroft.jpg

Seacroft-2.jpg Barry Seacroft

We will be in Auckland tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 3:24 PM, RBB said:

Rick

I think there is a marker on google maps!  that's as good as it is going to get!

AUCKLAND YARN CRAWL (POST #32)

FEBRUARY 4, 2023
Show More Posts

Welcome to Auckland Feature 1080

We visit four local yarn shops and get a haircut

Auckland, New Zealand

We arrived around 6 am and moored at Princes Wharf, across from the Hilton Hotel.  In the past, we have moored at the Queens Wharf, which is a couple of hundred yards to the east and is home to the Auckland Ferry Terminal.  

Rain was in the forecast, and Auckland had experienced extremely heavy rains over the last week.  The Auckland airport was closed, and several low-lying areas in Auckland had severe flooding, with many homes and businesses destroyed.  

Our plan for the day was to visit the same 4 yarn shops we visited in March of 2020 using Uber.  

Here is a Google Map showing the locations of the 4 yarn shops (red stars) along with the location of Princes Wharf and the Barbershop I visited.

New Zealand is strict about not allowing food to be taken off the ship.  Normally dogs that are trained to detect any food will sniff passengers’ bags as they leave the ship.  When we left the Zuiderdam at 11:30 am, the agricultural inspectors were gone, and no one was having anything inspected.

welcome-to-auckland.jpg Welcome to Auckland!

Right inside the terminal, there is a vendor with a small shopping area and some chairs set off to the side for people to use the WiFi that is available in the Terminal.

shops-in-terminal.jpg A small area on the second floor of the terminal

We walked down to Quay Street to get an Uber as we weren’t sure how close Ubers could get to the ship.  There was a taxi stand close to the terminal if you didn’t want to walk to the end of the pier to catch an Uber.  We walked thru the large HBSC building across the street and requested an Uber to pick us up on Lower Albert Street.  As it turns out, this street is for busses only, so we had to walk to corner the of Lower Albert and Customs Street to find a spot where we could meet our driver.

Uber in Auckland is very efficient.  We never waited more than 8 minutes for a car, and all the drivers were experienced and pleasant.

Whenever we travel around a port, we go to the furthest location first.  This way, we are always getting closer to the ship and will have less distance to cover as the day goes on in the event we might encounter traffic or delays.

Wild and Wooly

Wild and Wooly is in Milford, about 12 miles from Princes Wharf, and the Uber ride cost $24.99 NZD.  The Proprietor, Bronwen, is from South Africa and has been in New Zealand for about three years.  She bought the shop seven months ago and has been improving Wild and Wooly’s online presence and web sales.  You can find her website HERE

The shop is light and airy and has a nice selection of yarns, including possum and possum blends.

WW-outside-wild-and-wooly-yarns.jpg Wild and Wooly is in Milford WW-Inside.jpg Inside Wild and Wooly WW-Bronwen.jpg Bronwen is increasing her shop’s online presence

NZ Fabric and Yarn

NZ Fabric and Yarn was a favorite among cruisers for years as it was located in the Queens’ Arcade, an easy walk from the Auckland Cruise terminals.  During the COVID Pandemic, most of central Auckland was closed, and the shop lost over 90% of its business, forcing a relocation to Birkenhead on Auckland’s north shore.  It costs $19.62 NZD to travel from Wild and Wooly to NZ Fabric and Yarn.  Tracey is proud to feature yarns and fabrics native to New Zealand.  You can find her website HERE.

NZ-F-and-Y-outside.jpg NZ Fabrics and Yarn is now in Birkenhead NZ-F-and-Y-Tracey.jpg Tracey used to work in IT before opening her shop that specializes in local NZ products NZ-F-and-Y-inside.jpg Inside New Zealand Fabrics and Yarn

Knitnstitch

After NZ Fabric and Yarn, we headed back across the bridge to the southern side of the harbor to visit our third yarn shop: Knitnstitch.   The Uber fare was $29.22 NZD

KNS-Outside.jpg Knitnstitch is now located in Kingsland

Beth is the owner of Knitnstich and she moved her shop to Kingsland since we last visited in 2020.  The shop is in a commercial area that doesn’t have much else of interest in the area so this isn’t a good spot to browse other businesses in the area afterward.  

KNS-beth-knitnstitch.jpg Beth is the proprietor of KnitnStitch

This shop has local yarns and a big selection of Malabrigo and the recently discontinued Shibui.  You can find her website HERE

KNS-Inside.jpg Inside Knitnstitch

Loopine

Loopine was our final stop.  Alanna Penk, formerly from Wisconsin, is the proprietor.  She moved her shop a few doors down the street since our last visit in 2020.  She also owns Black Cat Knitting a design company, and you can find her on Ravelry and Instagram.  Her shop is cozy and very welcoming, with a nice selection of local New Zealand yarns and popular yarns from around the world, such as Brooklyn Tweed, Knit Circus, and Spincycle Yarns.  The Uber fare was $12.12 NZD.  

Loopine-Outside.jpg Judy showing off the yarn she purchased in Loopine loopine-inside.jpg Inside Loopine – Their motto is:  “Yarn is cheaper than therapy. loppine-back-room.jpg Here is the backroom where they offer classes and hold a twice-weekly crafting meet-up loopine-alanna.jpg Alanna is from Wisconsin

Alanna offers twice-weekly knitting/crafting groups; Thursday Mornings from 10am-2pm and Friday Nights 4-8pm.  They have a nice room in the back of the shop where they host the knitting group meetups and give lessons.  You can find her website HERE

Haircut

It has been a month since my last haircut and I was due for a trim.  The “Ultimate Barber” shop is located close to Loopine and was open with no waiting when we walked by.  Shah is very friendly and he gave me a nice haircut before we headed back to the Zuiderdam.  Check out his facebook page HERE

haircut.jpg

Pete-and-Shah.jpg Pete with Shah after his haircut

The haircut cost $40 NZD and the Uber fare back to Princes Wharf was $18.42 NZD

The forecasted rain never materialized during our visit, and we enjoyed a wonderful day in New Zealand.   

auckland-skyline.jpg It was cloudy all day, but we stayed dry Welcome-to-Auckland-Feature-1080.jpg Fun times at the Auckland Sailaway party!

We will be in Tauranga tomorrow.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 12:52 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If I am understanding correctly, the '24 WC doesn't meet these qualifications but the proposed "pole to pole" '25 WC would?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Thanks for the heads up on the move of NZ Fabrics and Yarn. It is one of my planned pre-cruise stops in a couple of weeks. Hopefully Auckland will have dried out by then.

if you start earlier and have a nice day - stop by Loopine last - and then walk down Parnell Road back to the ship....it's a nice area full of interesting shops

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Pete & Judy - so appreciate your wonderful, upbeat WC coverage!   Notice you're 'getting around' on land seems to be via, Ubers, taxis' walking etc as you obviously know what/where/ & how you want to go from experience & research.    Question for you, back when you were newer travelers on cruise ships & did tours, did you tour via private tours or did your do HAL tours.   Just wondering - if you don't mind.   

mooseridge 

(FYI 30 degrees & snowing - yes brrrr but beautiful!)

• Thanks 1