2023 Grand World Voyage with The Inside Cabin

The-Inside-Cabin

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Our Kroger used to carry them but I haven't looked lately.  They put them on the very top shelf so you have to hunt for them.  All the mainstream brands of cookies are eye level and below it appears.

They are available on Amazon.com.

On 5/13/2023 at 9:24 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We used Luggage Forward both ways.  

We broke down the four Home Depot boxes and laid them flat under the bed.   There was still room for our suitcases on top.   Two of the boxes were damaged en route TO the ship.   The damage occurred when people tried to lift the box using only one of the built-in handholds.    I recommend tape over those handholds so they can't be used.    They are convenient when YOU move them inside your house - but when the crew grabs boxes, they grasp the handhold and yank - then RIP...

We bought two more new boxes from the ship for $10 each.    We repaired the damaged handhold boxes and could have used them again in a pinch, but we didn't have to.

I am confused about the various luggage services.  Is LF the service that HAL provides for early, bookings; or is the expense solely that of the cruiser?  If the latter, I thought that it was available only with service to certain cities and was only for disembarkation purposes.  No?

4 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I am confused about the various luggage services.  Is LF the service that HAL provides for early, bookings; or is the expense solely that of the cruiser?  If the latter, I thought that it was available only with service to certain cities and was only for disembarkation purposes.  No?

Luggage Forward is a shipping service that you can privately use or, on Grand Voyages it can be offered as a free perk. It involves sending your luggage to the ship about a week prior to boarding. And, for return, it will be picked up at the ship and returned home to you about a week later.  (Cost us $500 for 2 suitcases round trip.)The other service you refer to is just a one-day service where your luggage is picked up at your cabin and you are given your boarding pass at the same time and you will get your luggage off the carousel at home…this service costs about $25 and is only available from Ft. Lauderdale and 2 others, I believe…and also only certain flights/airlines qualify.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, janmcn said:

Luggage Forward is a shipping service that you can privately use or, on Grand Voyages it can be offered as a free perk. It involves sending your luggage to the ship about a week prior to boarding. And, for return, it will be picked up at the ship and returned home to you about a week later.  (Cost us $500 for 2 suitcases round trip.)The other service you refer to is just a one-day service where your luggage is picked up at your cabin and you are given your boarding pass at the same time and you will get your luggage off the carousel at home…this service costs about $25 and is only available from Ft. Lauderdale and 2 others, I believe…and also only certain flights/airlines qualify.

Thank you for clarifying this.  When we took the 2018 Grand Asia, HAL paid for the shipping but it was picked up, stored, delivered to and retrieved from the ship by FedEx.  HAL has apparently switched to LF.  Good info for use when sailing long cruises R/T from the U.S.  

Luggage Forward used UPS for the actual shipment for the recent World Cruise.  LF sent us the UPS tags and UPS picked up our suitcases at home. The luggage went to a warehouse in Florida near the cruise terminal. I believe that LF dealt with the luggage storage and delivery to the ship.

And the same in reverse. LF picked up all the luggage, stored it in their warehouse as they sorted it and dealt with the pickup by UPS. I don’t think UPS picked up all the luggage simultaneously as we are all getting deliveries at various times. For example, I shipped 3 pieces. I got 1 yesterday, 1 is scheduled for Mon and the last one on Tue. Others (who live in FL) have already received all of their stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Thrilled to see the Inside Cabin's blog post on Casablanca to Marrakech, Morocco.  I also took that Across Africa Tour last fall on the 2022 Grand Africa Voyage.  Surprised that some of the sites that we each saw were different.  My highlight was the meal and entertainment in the same restaurant.

Thank you, Pete, for taking me back to Marrakech.

Barbara

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
47 minutes ago, sasgraph said:

My cousin was on this cruise. Unfortunately he became ill in Africa and was taken off the ship. Shortly after that he died in threat country. Unbelieveable Holland did not help him.

Sue, it is sad to hear that a relative died while on the World Cruise.  But a few details might make us understand what happened.  Saying "ill in Africa" is like saying "ill in North America".

Where did this happen?  Apparently HAL helped get him to a hospital.  What other help could HAL have provided him?  Was he sailing alone or did he have a spouse with him?

Ray

On 8/15/2023 at 1:16 PM, USN59-79 said:

Sue, it is sad to hear that a relative died while on the World Cruise.  But a few details might make us understand what happened.  Saying "ill in Africa" is like saying "ill in North America".

Where did this happen?  Apparently HAL helped get him to a hospital.  What other help could HAL have provided him?  Was he sailing alone or did he have a spouse with him?

Ray

I am so sorry for your loss, and being away from home has to make it worse. Yes, we have been with or have have had friends that were very sick. Everything  they told us was that HAL was very responsive in getting them to a hospital as well as hotel accommodations, if needed, for their significant other. 

There was a thread by the granddaughter of a gentleman that died while in Africa.  She was requesting info on getting his remains sent home.  He apparently was not in great health when beginning the cruise, loved cruising, and wanted to give it a go since the 2020 WC was cut short.  Possibly this is the same gentleman.  The granddaughter and others on the cruise who knew him said that he died doing something he loved.  I can't find the thread.  Thinking of your loved one in a hospital in a foreign country by themself is so difficult.  Cherie

• Like 1