Got Covid from NCL Breakaway 12/23-30 from NOLA

Medgirl2001

I’ll try to write a detailed review later, but we were a party of 15, 7 adults and 8 kids, ranging from 7-70 something.  Half of us starting feeling sick on 12/30, after disembarking.  Some had GI symptoms, and others had stuffy nose and sore throat while in airport.  We got back around midnight.  Tested ourselves the next day, and half of us got Covid from the cruise.  I’m not surprised with how crowded the ship is.  😟 

What do you propose to avoid this though?   You go on a cruise ship, you need to accept the chance of getting covid at the moment.  Hopefully the vaccine means you don't get seriously ill (and sounds like you didn't which is great), and you had a good cruise!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, nclsuncruiser said:

What do you propose to avoid this though?   You go on a cruise ship, you need to accept the chance of getting covid at the moment.  Hopefully the vaccine means you don't get seriously ill (and sounds like you didn't which is great), and you had a good cruise!

I completely agree.  You have to expect to get Covid if you go on a cruise.  I caught it on the Joy in September.  My son caught it on a Virgin ship in August.  My husband caught it on a Virgin ship three weeks ago.  Ironically it hit our  22 YO son much harder than it did my husband and I. We’re all vacated and boosted.  My husband I had a headache and a stuffy nose for 24 hours.  Neither ever had a fever.  Tested negative five days later.  Our son was miserable for a week.

• Like 3

I have gotten sick so many times over the years,  i wonder why i keep coming back.  Cruise ships are simply a petri dish.  I try not to touch anything and wash hands often,  but to no avail.  You would think they would do a better job to avoid getting shut down again.  Soon you will see on the news,  cruise ship is in quarantine of coast due to too many covid cases.  Ncl has like zero precautions.  I went to the group activity on escape last month.  They had an activity girls vs boys which was over a half hour long with everyone touching everything and everybody.  They ended it by seeing how many people each sex could jam into a circle made of the 12 or so hilding hands.  The girls had 63 i think in their circle counting the 12 its 75 people you could not put a toothpick in between for over 5 min.  Just stupid imo.  Disclaimer.  I am not a covid worrier.  I do not wear masks,  etc.

Edited by resetjet

22 minutes ago, resetjet said:

I went to the group activity on escape last month.  They had an activity girls vs boys which was over a half hour long with everyone touching everything and everybody.  They ended it by seeing how many people each sex could jam into a circle made of the 12 or so holding hands.

I love that competition.  It's hilarious to watch.  Lots of laughs for the audience.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nclsuncruiser said:

Agreed, I was worried we would get it, and we did. Just stating facts, and not placing blame.  Maybe. 5% of people were masking.  (We did not…). Maybe just a warning for high risk people to vax, mask, and/or don’t go.  It’s just a very high risk that you’ll get Covid, or the flu, or a GI bug, on a cruise, especially when they crowd people in like they did, 

2 hours ago, Medgirl2001 said:

I’ll try to write a detailed review later, but we were a party of 15, 7 adults and 8 kids, ranging from 7-70 something.  Half of us starting feeling sick on 12/30, after disembarking.  Some had GI symptoms, and others had stuffy nose and sore throat while in airport.  We got back around midnight.  Tested ourselves the next day, and half of us got Covid from the cruise.  I’m not surprised with how crowded the ship is.  😟 

It's a risk of an endemic virus now.

I was on the Caribbean Princess for 2 weeks in July--definitely not full. 

Was quite tired the last day but assumed it was just 2 weeks of fun vacation getting to me.

Disembarkation day I had a lot of throat drainage. Wore a mask for my travel home JUST in case.

Took a test when I get home as I have an elderly father.

Yep, COVID. 

Rested the next day. 

Cleaned the garage the next!

I keep up on my shots, wash my hands a lot, but I'm not giving up travel!

• Like 5

We've been on three NCL ships in the past year-and-a-half and never got covid, but I think that it's just something we have to live with, like norovirus or the common cold. We did both catch covid right here at home last summer and, after returning from a cruise on the POA last fall, we both came down with RSV (respiratory virus) right after we got home. I really think we caught it on one of the excursions when a woman sitting across from us on the bus kept coughing our way!

Edited by NikiPinkston

You “got Covid from the cruise”? What makes you so sure one of your 15 family members didn’t bring it on, or catch it in an airport, or on an island…etc? Bottom line is anyone traveling anywhere has to expect to get Covid, or stay home.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nclsuncruiser said:

The cruise ship does not have to be the source of the illness. If a large number in their party got sick around the same time, the common denominator is their group, not the ship. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, resetjet said:

I have gotten sick so many times over the years,  i wonder why i keep coming back.  Cruise ships are simply a petri dish.  I try not to touch anything and wash hands often,  but to no avail.  You would think they would do a better job to avoid getting shut down again.  Soon you will see on the news,  cruise ship is in quarantine of coast due to too many covid cases.  Ncl has like zero precautions.  I went to the group activity on escape last month.  They had an activity girls vs boys which was over a half hour long with everyone touching everything and everybody.  They ended it by seeing how many people each sex could jam into a circle made of the 12 or so hilding hands.  The girls had 63 i think in their circle counting the 12 its 75 people you could not put a toothpick in between for over 5 min.  Just stupid imo.  Disclaimer.  I am not a covid worrier.  I do not wear masks,  etc.

"Ncl has like zero precautions."

Absolutely ridiculous statement.

Is said statement a recent observation or just a broad sweeping statement said for effect of the narrative? 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, kollegekreed said:

You “got Covid from the cruise”? What makes you so sure one of your 15 family members didn’t bring it on, or catch it in an airport, or on an island…etc? Bottom line is anyone traveling anywhere has to expect to get Covid, or stay home.

Yes I’m certain we got it on the cruise due to the timing of the symptoms. I work in healthcare and I have a lot of experience dealing with and treating Covid. My post was just an FYI, and obviously anyone traveling, but especially cruising, has to expect a high chance of getting Covid or some other virus. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Medgirl2001 said:

Yes I’m certain we got it on the cruise due to the timing of the symptoms. I work in healthcare and I have a lot of experience dealing with and treating Covid. My post was just an FYI, and obviously anyone traveling, but especially cruising, has to expect a high chance of getting Covid or some other virus. 

So, you stayed on the ship the entire time? No getting off in ports, shopping or excursions? You said you got it "on the cruise"...so  just wondering if you ever got off of the cruise.

Edited by schmoopie17

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The cruise ship does not have to be the source of the illness. If a large number in their party got sick around the same time, the common denominator is their group, not the ship. 

I’m fairly certain it was. We live in 4 different households, came on different flights, due to NCL air, and were perfectly fine until day 8-9. It rained for most of the cruise, so we didn’t do excursions like we had planned.  We got off in Cozumel, day 6, so while it’s possible we picked it up there, that incubation period would be rather short. (Anyway, when I say we got it on the cruise, I mean the whole thing—cruise and ports)  I’m not sure why you are all having a hard time believing we got it on the cruise, when that is the likely source. It’s generally transmitted when people are in close range with other people, and for more than a few minutes, like on a crowded ship.  I’m not blaming anyone!

Edited by Medgirl2001
  • Like 2

About 50% of the time I travel south, whether to a resort or a cruise, I come home with either a gastro problem or bad cough.  This has happened for the last 20 years - not a Covid thing. 
I take reasonable precautions, wash my hands, get vaccinated & boosted. 
I’m otherwise very healthy and I have made a conscious decision to keep travelling.  In fact, I came home from Cuba in September and tested positive for Covid 2 days later.  My 3 travelling companions did not.  I was moderately ill for 3 days. 
We are cruising in a month and I have minor Covid, gastro, and rsv concerns but not enough to keep me home. 
Everyone has to review their own risk tolerance.  I paid a few more $ to get travel insurance that covers Covid, just in case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JGmf said:

I love that competition.  It's hilarious to watch.  Lots of laughs for the audience.

I love it to.  But if you were at the helm would you allow it,  or perhaps substitute something else equally as fun?  

2 hours ago, WexIrl said:

Is said statement a recent observation or just a broad sweeping statement said for effect of the narrative? 

Zero is a rediculous statement.  A better way to put it is they are taking unnecessary chances,  and are not doing enough to prevent illness.  When i have been on cruises that had issues,  you could immediately see the teams go into action.  Wiping stair rails,  sanitizng everything,  washy washy staff being very particular.  I saw little of that.  If i were in charge,  i would have guys walking around in red vests with a squirt bottle everywhere.  Whatever you are doing,  make it known.  I am not saying go back to where we were.  But sooner rather then later its gonna make front page news.  Use a little Common sense.  I can’t imagine how the mask wearing covid afraid people

view it.  They may never cruise again.

Most of my party got COVID on an RCCL ship in June (those of us who didn’t had just recovered from it before the cruise). I’ve gotten sick on many cruises (and land based trips) over the years. I’ve had whooping cough, strep throat, colds, flus and even a probable parasite (i link that to my tendency to eat as local as possible). I’ll keep vacationing. It’s a risk I take. Interestingly enough when I vacationed when masks were required I did not ever get sick. So probably they do work pretty good but I’m also not willing to wear one all day, every day so I take the risk 

• Like 1

I tested positive for Covid after my last cruise.  I'm glad I did!!  I had very minor symptoms (I only tested because I felt congested and had a bunch of those free tests).  Now, I've added natural immunity to my vax status.  Bring on the next cruise!!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kollegekreed said:

Knew this would be a post. Its highly highly highly likely it was from the cruise.

Is it 100% chance? No but its highly likely and the best explanation.

• Like 3

I got COVID twice, probably from work, so I'll take my chances with travel. At least I'll get to have some fun before getting sick, unlike work. 

Does anyone know if they still move COVID cases to a separate isolation area? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My family and I all caught covid on our April 22

cruise. It was the first cruise we took with no precautions and we really noticed a difference. We enjoyed cruising right after the restart when ships were empty and everyone had to test prior to arrival and again at the pier. Even with prior testing, there were over 100 people who tested positive at the pier (and were identified and removed) prior to boarding for our December cruise last year. We are cruising again in a few weeks and will wear masks unless we are actively eating/drinking. Personal preference. I appreciate the update about your experience. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, WexIrl said:

It's actually not a ridiculous statement. I'm onboard now. I've cruised three times in the last year. Crew are doing their general cleaning of handrails, and other high touch surfaces. I never cruised NCL pre-COVID, but I have to imagine that was in place way back then. 

Washy washy lady is at the buffet. Wasn't she there pre-COVID too? 

Otherwise, to the passenger's eye, there are no protocols. I'm not complaining, btw. I very much agree with going back to how things were before. 

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's actually not a ridiculous statement. I'm onboard now. I've cruised three times in the last year. Crew are doing their general cleaning of handrails, and other high touch surfaces. I never cruised NCL pre-COVID, but I have to imagine that was in place way back then. 

Washy washy lady is at the buffet. Wasn't she there pre-COVID too? 

Otherwise, to the passenger's eye, there are no protocols. I'm not complaining, btw. I very much agree with going back to how things were before. 

That's exactly what makes it ridiculous IMO - to imply that NCL is doing nothing even if they are doing nothing different than before.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Medgirl2001 said:

Agreed, I was worried we would get it, and we did. Just stating facts, and not placing blame.  Maybe. 5% of people were masking.  (We did not…). Maybe just a warning for high risk people to vax, mask, and/or don’t go.  It’s just a very high risk that you’ll get Covid, or the flu, or a GI bug, on a cruise, especially when they crowd people in like they did, 

I've been on 3 cruises post COVID and surprisingly have not gotten sick after any of them.  As much as people will disagree, I do think the additional sanitizing measures that the industry has put in place are working as well as they can.

• Like 2