Considering a last minute Saga cruise

Jammy Bun

Regular Viking cruisers, but the thought of indirect flights from where we live is deterring us from booking an extra February cruise.  I've decided this might be the time to try a Saga cruise to the Canaries.  We've done similar cruises many times in the past, with P&O, so know we can cope with the potentially rocky seas!

I also know I'm going to have to suffer formal nights... hate all that pretentious dressing up.  It's OK, we'll grit our teeth and do it.  Could someone please tell me what the dress code is in the restaurants on non-formal occasions.  Does my OH have to take another jacket - or a tie?  I don't remember when he last wore a tie!  

We have Saga shares - is there any perk for being an investor (OBC on Cunard/Princess/P&O if shareholder)?

And we'll celebrate a big wedding anniversary while we're away - should we tell Saga, do do anything?

Thanks for any more tips... I'll probably ring them later today, there's loads of availability on the one I'm looking at.

Hello Jammy Bun.  The topic of jacket and tie for formal nights has been discussed ad infinitum on here. Some people are for and others against.

My advice is: Don’t worry about the formal nights.  We have been on several Saga cruises.  There are a few formal nights and jacket and tie is required if you want to eat in the Dining Room, but if you don’t want to dress up smart casual  is acceptable in the buffet.  
On all other nights, smart casual is fine in all the restaurants.  

I don’t know if shareholders get a discount but definitely worth mentioning when you ring them, and do let them know about your big wedding anniversary  - they usually deliver something special to your cabin.

I’m sure you will enjoy Saga, and will be interested to hear how it compares with Viking if you decide to book.

Edited by LandC
Addition
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, LandC said:

Hello Jammy Bun.  The topic of jacket and tie for formal nights has been discussed ad infinitum on here. Some people are for and others against.

My advice is: Don’t worry about the formal nights.  We have been on several Saga cruises.  There are a few formal nights and jacket and tie is required if you want to eat in the Dining Room, but if you don’t want to dress up smart casual  is acceptable in the buffet.  
On all other nights, smart casual is fine in all the restaurants.  

I don’t know if shareholders get a discount but definitely worth mentioning when you ring them, and do let them know about your big wedding anniversary  - they usually deliver something special to your cabin.

I’m sure you will enjoy Saga, and will be interested to hear how it compares with Viking if you decide to book.

Thanks for your prompt reply - I'm just weighing up the available cabins - and then need to decide whether it's worth going into the local travel agents to see if there's any benefit to booking through them. 

Just be aware that if you book through a travel agent you can’t access your booking on My Saga and use the online facilities available there. Definitely no jackets or ties required on non formal evenings, also definitely worth mentioning your wedding anniversary.

• Like 1

Having been on 20+ Cruises with P&O we tried Saga post Covid when some restrictions were still  in place & thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a big step up in Service & Food quality & Choice provided by P&O. We went on Ventura last March (booked before Covid) & were very disappointed with poor service & the cut backs so P&O is in the past for us!. Enjoyed 7 nights to the Fjords on Spirit of Discovery last October & have 2 more Cruises with Saga booked for 2023. As others have pointed out you will find no issues with Dress Codes & you wont see the like of Track Suits & T Shirts/Shorts in the evenings on Saga.

26 minutes ago, Kohima said:

Just be aware that if you book through a travel agent you can’t access your booking on My Saga and use the online facilities available there. Definitely no jackets or ties required on non formal evenings, also definitely worth mentioning your wedding anniversary.

Thank you! 

Not sure what the advantage of having access to My Saga is... can you elaborate?  

7 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

Having been on 20+ Cruises with P&O we tried Saga post Covid when some restrictions were still  in place & thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a big step up in Service & Food quality & Choice provided by P&O. We went on Ventura last March (booked before Covid) & were very disappointed with poor service & the cut backs so P&O is in the past for us!. Enjoyed 7 nights to the Fjords on Spirit of Discovery last October & have 2 more Cruises with Saga booked for 2023. As others have pointed out you will find no issues with Dress Codes & you wont see the like of Track Suits & T Shirts/Shorts in the evenings on Saga.

Thanks... yes, I'm aware that Saga is better than P&O.  😊  We've cruised a lot, many different cruise lines - gave up on P&O in 2015, the cut backs had started and they were getting larger and larger ships.  The last 5 years have been purely Viking, as their product suits us perfectly - no formality and an elegant Scandi ship full of light, top class friendly crew and delicious food at all hours of the day.  

Whilst I wouldn't want to see track suits in the dining room, I think the dressing up on all the British cruise lines is one of their worst features (just my opinion).  People acting out a bye-gone era I suppose...  Hey ho, better go and see if OH can get into his old DJ.  And dust off the diamante 🤣

We've cruised many times with P&O since 2007 and have become progressively disillusioned with the service and the "nickel and diming" that has been a feature in recent years. We have also cruised with Viking on their river cruises and on 3 ocean cruises.

We did our first Saga cruise in August 2022 and my initial impressions were excellent. The boutique nature of the ships and the other "included" services meant that Saga won hands down over what P&O is now offering. Many hard and fast P&O supporters balk at the headline price of a Saga cruise but my opinion is that they don't do the sums and really cost out what extras they pay for on P&O that are included in the price of your Saga cruise. For example WiFi, Shore excursions, specialty dining, included drinks packages are all added costs on P&O but are included with Saga.

Turning to Viking, we love the Scandi ambience of their ocean ships and, like Saga, there are included excursions, wifi, drinks and specialty restaurants. Viking don't have any formal dining nights so that removes one potential headache from the "what to pack" list. The major drawback in our view is the need to fly to the start point of most of their cruise itineraries. There are a limited number that either start or end in London(Tilbury) but you still have to fly at the end or beginning of your cruise. If they offered round trip UK cruises then we would be sorely tempted but until that happens (if ever) we will now be opting for Saga as our provider.

Just waiting for the Summer 2024 itineraries to be released (we have pre-registered)

Edited by arlowood
spelling
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, arlowood said:

We've cruised many times with P&O since 2007 and have become progressively disillusioned with the service and the "nickel and diming" that has been a feature in recent years. We have also cruised with Viking on their river cruises and on 3 ocean cruises.

We did our first Saga cruise in August 2022 and my initial impressions were excellent. The boutique nature of the ships and the other "included" services meant that Saga won hands down over what P&O is now offering. Many hard and fast P&O supporters balk at the headline price of a Saga cruise but my opinion is that they don't do the sums and really cost out what extras they pay for on P&O that are included in the price of your Saga cruise. For example WiFi, Shore excursions, specialty dining, included drinks packages are all added costs on P&O but are included with Saga.

Turning to Viking, we love the Scandi ambience of their ocean ships and, like Saga, there are included excursions, wifi, drinks and specialty restaurants. Viking don't have any formal dining nights so that removes one potential headache from the "what to pack" list. The major drawback in our view is the need to fly to the start point of most of their cruise itineraries. There are a limited number that either start or end in London(Tilbury) but you still have to fly at the end or beginning of your cruise. If they offered round trip UK cruises then we would be sorely tempted but until that happens (if ever) we will now be opting for Saga as our provider.

Just waiting for the Summer 2024 itineraries to be released (we have pre-registered)

You sound just like us!  Hooked on Viking... apart from the flights.  We've done one which sailed from Greenwich, one which ended in Greenwich, and one which ended in Tilbury...  Bliss

Fingers crossed we enjoy Saga almost as much,

1 hour ago, Jammy Bun said:

Thank you! 

Not sure what the advantage of having access to My Saga is... can you elaborate?  

I'm booking direct probably anyway - we just went to the travel agents and were told the price will be identical if we book with them.  No OBC, no nothing!  So I may as well DIY.  

1 hour ago, arlowood said:

Saga and Viking similar in many respects, but like you we don’t want to fly at the moment.

We prefer the Viking ships design, especially the Winter Garden and Explorers lounge.

Staff on both ships are a delight.

The cabins are very similar.

Love the heated bathroom floor on Viking and hate the so-called fridges in the standard Saga cabins 😅

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Love the heated bathroom floor on Viking and hate the so-called fridges in the standard Saga cabins 😅

We've just booked!  What on earth is unusual about the fridge?  😁 No Mini Toblerones ?  (I will miss the heated floor - it was great to dry smalls overnight. 🤣)

When you log on to My Saga you can see the excursions when they become available and book online. Your car pick up time will also be shown. There used to be an option for special requests there too (where you could mention your wedding anniversary) but that seems to have disappeared so you would need to mention it on the phone or at reception.

Don’t worry about the formal dress…….while some ladies love to dress up, many just wear something a little extra smart. As for the men…….some go the whole peacock, others just wear a suit and tie. Alternatively you can dine informally on the same menu in the Grill. 
Hope you have a lovely time.

ps yes the fridge is one of a kind!

8 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

I also know I'm going to have to suffer formal nights... hate all that pretentious dressing up.  It's OK, we'll grit our teeth and do it.  Could someone please tell me what the dress code is in the restaurants on non-formal occasions.  Does my OH have to take another jacket - or a tie?  I don't remember when he last wore a tie!  

There can be some pretty offensive and arrogant attitudes to Formal Evenings in some quarters but SAGA have dining on formal evenings off to a tee and we've always found the whole experience very civilised.

The Grand Dining Room welcomes those who dress for formal evenings and the Grill welcomes those that prefer to were casual attire... both restaurants serve the menu.

On other evenings many men dine without a jacket... the ships are warm and it's often more comfortable to do so. The "Dress Code" is resort casual... just be smart... "this runs from jumpsuits and cocktail dresses to skirts and tops" or slacks and a shirt to a lounge suit. In our experience ties are optional.

If you use a travel agent... have a word with them. Someone from the office will have the latest guidance and may have travelled recently.

From our recent personal experience, we don't think that your choice to opt for more casual attire will impinge on the enjoyment of your holiday.

Hope that you have a great time.

Thanks for all your responses.  We've booked the cruise, and whilst I don't think we'll love it as much as Viking, it certainly seems like we'll find lots of things to enjoy!  I think we'll end up dining in the Grill and speciality restaurants most of the time - just don't like the look of the Grand Dining Room. 

Looking forward to art and craft sessions, and hopefully some interesting speakers.   

Only six weeks to wait!

• Like 1

Re dress code.

I am sailing with Saga again next month, having sailed with them for the first time last year. THe following is an extract from a document I received recently by email.

The dress code
A dress code applies from 1800.
Evening
The dress code is smart-casual each
evening. Ladies may wish to wear
a smart dress, or top/blouse with
trousers or a skirt. Gentlemen can
wear a smart, open-neck shirt and
trousers, with jackets optional.
Please note: Polo shirts, t-shirts,
shorts and denim are not
considered smart-casual attire in
the evenings.
Formal evenings
The perfect opportunity to enjoy
a little glamour, ladies can choose
an evening gown, cocktail dress, or
dress suit. Gentlemen can wear a
smart suit with a tie, or preferably a
dinner jacket.
Formal evenings
A longstanding cruise tradition,
formal evenings are one of the
many highlights of our cruises. The
number of formal evenings varies
depending on the length of your
cruise:
Four to seven nights – one formal
evening
Eight to 11 nights – two formal
evenings
12 to 21 nights – three formal
evenings
For cruises of 22 nights or more,
there will be one additional formal
evening per week.
For entry into The Playhouse theatre
on formal evenings, you will need to
follow the formal evening dress code.
If you prefer not to take part in
formal evenings, you are welcome to
dine in The Grill or take advantage of
the complimentary room service.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

Thanks for all your responses.  We've booked the cruise, and whilst I don't think we'll love it as much as Viking, it certainly seems like we'll find lots of things to enjoy!  I think we'll end up dining in the Grill and speciality restaurants most of the time - just don't like the look of the Grand Dining Room. 

Looking forward to art and craft sessions, and hopefully some interesting speakers.   

Only six weeks to wait!

Have a great time! After the last few years we all enjoy every pleasure that we can find! We're also travelling with SAGA again in a couple of months!

• Like 1

Try the Dining Room occasionally for breakfast or lunch as it can be a lot less busy than the Grill at those times and does have a buffet element as well as waiter service. Also in the Canaries you should be able to enjoy some outdoor dining……enjoy!

• Like 2

Hi Jammy Bun and Glendale, I think our paths have crossed on Viking, nice to hear from you.  As a non flyer I’ve been waiting to see if Viking start ex uk sailings, but in the meantime have tried Cunard Grills which was great, and have just booked a last minute Saga one as well.  Maybe see you on board?

18 hours ago, Kohima said:

Try the Dining Room occasionally for breakfast or lunch as it can be a lot less busy than the Grill at those times and does have a buffet element as well as waiter service. Also in the Canaries you should be able to enjoy some outdoor dining……enjoy!

Thank you - that's a good tip.  (And I don't suppose diamante is essential at breakfast 🙃)

17 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Jammy Bun and Glendale, I think our paths have crossed on Viking, nice to hear from you.  As a non flyer I’ve been waiting to see if Viking start ex uk sailings, but in the meantime have tried Cunard Grills which was great, and have just booked a last minute Saga one as well.  Maybe see you on board?

If you're on this cruise would definitely plan to meet up for a drink and compare Viking v Saga thoughts!  

We've only done a transatlantic on Cunard - wasn't my cup of tea (though the afternoon tea was pretty memorable 😆)   

JammyBun,  If you think you may like to cruise with Saga in the future, I do advise early booking to get the best discount. Ideally, pay £90pp to register to get these prices before a tranche of cruises is released to the general public. The £90pp is refundable if you don't book, or can be carried forward to the next season/year. We do this and book about 18 months in advance, and have seen prices increase drastically as the cruise date nears. We only book short cruises and, for example, our next one is now about £700pp more than we are paying, for a standard balcony. So, well worth doing if you can commut well in advance.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Wacktle said:

JammyBun,  If you think you may like to cruise with Saga in the future, I do advise early booking to get the best discount. Ideally, pay £90pp to register to get these prices before a tranche of cruises is released to the general public. The £90pp is refundable if you don't book, or can be carried forward to the next season/year. We do this and book about 18 months in advance, and have seen prices increase drastically as the cruise date nears. We only book short cruises and, for example, our next one is now about £700pp more than we are paying, for a standard balcony. So, well worth doing if you can commut well in advance.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind, but I hate booking anything so far in advance - circumstances change - and we will have to see what we think of Saga first.  In my head it's too formal and old-fashioned for us.  OH hasn't taken a jacket or tie on holiday for 6 years!  We've got away from the regular conversational topics of "I'm on such-and-such a tier" and "I only paid £xxxx" of the British cruise lines, and have very much loved the Viking approach where loyalty tiers are non-existent and the price of your cabin remains the same whenever you purchase.  Sorry, I sound like a Viking rep 😆.  Other cruise lines are available 🤣

• Haha 1