Real Time Upgrade Bidding

fordpickup

This is the first time I've seen ebay style bidding for a cruise - is this a new thing? Is this for real or is this a way to try to get me to bid more on the same amount of available space (or both)? The T&C say that they can take whatever bid they want. It kind of stresses me out!

image.png

Edited by fordpickup

5 minutes ago, fordpickup said:

This is the first time I've seen ebay style bidding for a cruise - is this a new thing? Is this for real or is this a way to try to get me to bid more on the same amount of available space (or both)? The T&C say that they can take whatever bid they want. It kind of stresses me out!

image.png

This has been reported multiple times. This is not the "normal" bidding. Must be something that they are trying on selected sailings to see if people will up their bids. 

16 minutes ago, fordpickup said:

image.png

This is for real and has been going on for a short time (iow, it isn't really "new"). FWIW, the stress you are feeling over this is part of the design...stress will force people to bid higher.

When NCL considers accepting bids for cabins, there is an unpublished amount at which they would like the bids to be at or above. As long as the bids come in at or above this level, the automated billing process takes care of everything. However, there are instances where everyone is just putting in minimal bids that are below this unpublished goal threshold. The only way to get people to then up those bids to a level acceptable to the cruise line is through "live bidding". Using this method, they can instill bidders with a sense of urgency and play on their desires by telling them "you have been outbid" (even if you actually haven't). This is solely designed to drive up the bid amounts...its up to you to decide if you're going to let this influence your bid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, grozzy1 said:

My bid for a suite on Spirit just went live about 11 days out. The hard part will be trying to avoid getting caught up in the excitement and paying "overs"

If you've upped your bid as a result of the live bidding, then you are already "caught up in the excitement" and you're doing exactly what they want you to do...pay more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

If you've upped your bid as a result of the live bidding, then you are already "caught up in the excitement" and you're doing exactly what they want you to do...pay more.

FOR THE RECORD: I'd like to point out that in my post above (and also in post #5 of this thread), I've plainly accused NCL of manipulating people through the bid process just to get more money out of them. Clearly these statements are NOT something supportive of the cruise line, yet many people on this forum still try to label me as a "cheerleader". 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
17 hours ago, Finally solo cruiser said:

Hey fordpickup,

Just curious, what ever happened with your real time bidding?  I sail on the Jewel on Oct 3 and have gotten the email.  How long was your bidding period?

I can't find any emails about the real time bidding. It looks like about 10 days out from when I posted the comment to sail date. We didn't bid successfully on any upgrades (we still had a great time though!).

On 1/3/2023 at 2:03 PM, SeaShark said:

FOR THE RECORD: I'd like to point out that in my post above (and also in post #5 of this thread), I've plainly accused NCL of manipulating people through the bid process just to get more money out of them. Clearly these statements are NOT something supportive of the cruise line, yet many people on this forum still try to label me as a "cheerleader". 

Is there actual evidence they say you've been outbid when you haven't?

Otherwise, I have always assumed the purpose of bidding was to get the most possible money out of people. If they really just wanted to free up lower price cabins to resell them, they could upgrade people, get this, FOR FREE.  

17 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

Otherwise, I have always assumed the purpose of bidding was to get the most possible money out of people. If they really just wanted to free up lower price cabins to resell them, they could upgrade people, get this, FOR FREE.  

The cruise lines are in business to make a profit. 

How does giving away free  upgrades contribute to profit?

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The cruise lines are in business to make a profit. 

How does giving away free  upgrades contribute to profit?

I'm not saying they SHOULD do it. Just that OF COURSE the purpose of bidding is to get the most money out of people. 

However, free upgrades contribute to profit, if analysis shows that for a particular cruise higher level rooms are not selling, but this is still demand for lower level rooms- moving people from booked, but in-demand, rooms to the rooms that have a lower demand means they can resell the room.  Cruiselines used to do this all the time.  But then they figured out upgrade bidding, so now they figured out a way to make people pay for the upgrade, AND are able to resell the lower level in-demand room.   

1 hour ago, skittl1321 said:

Is there actual evidence they say you've been outbid when you haven't?

Just an FYI, but the post you're questioning is nearly 9 months old. In case the poster doesn't return to address your question, here are a couple of posts confirming that this actually does happen.