Specialty Dining 1-1-1

BirdTravels

Curious if anyone agrees with me that this latest change is a complete blow beneath the belt? The ala carte prices are at all time highs and then they update the T&C on the main website, yet didn't communicate this important update to customers that have already purchased cruises in addition to the upgraded SDP meals along with separately purchased SDP packages for guests 3 and 4. This will have a huge impact on our overall bill for our upcoming Jan 22nd cruise by itself. Then there's the added punch that they have downsized all the appetizer and other meal portions via their "sail and sustain" excuse. Check out a recent cruise where a $9 sides charge for Zucchini resulted in 3 whole pieces! What a disgrace. That comes out to $3 per slice! What a complete bait and switch!

I think this is a completely sleezy way to treat past guests and future cruisers. So far I've been in the middle with all the changes including increased gratuities, ala carte menu items, decrease of included spirits/liquors on the UBP etc. but I am well beyond upset with this latest NiCkeL and dime change!

Old Cagneys Menu.jpg

Three Bites of Zucchini for Cagneys ala carte side.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Curious if anyone agrees with me that this latest change is a complete blow beneath the belt? The ala carte prices are at all time highs and then they update the T&C on the main website, yet didn't communicate this important update to customers that have already purchased cruises in addition to the upgraded SDP meals along with separately purchased SDP packages for guests 3 and 4. This will have a huge impact on our overall bill for our upcoming Jan 22nd cruise by itself. Then there's the added punch that they have downsized all the appetizer and other meal portions via their "sail and sustain" excuse. Check out a recent cruise where a $9 sides charge for Zucchini resulted in 3 whole pieces! What a disgrace. That comes out to $3 per slice! What a complete bait and switch!

I think this is a completely sleezy way to treat past guests and future cruisers. So far I've been in the middle with all the changes including increased gratuities, ala carte menu items, decrease of included spirits/liquors on the UBP etc. but I am well beyond upset with this latest NiCkeL and dime change!

Old Cagneys Menu.jpg

Three Bites of Zucchini for Cagneys ala carte side.jpg

It’s even worse than you think. This below seems to be the newest Cagney’s menu. Not able to eat fish or seafood? Too bad, no appetizer for you then and with the 1-1-1-1 you cannot take a soup and salad instead of the 1-1-1-1 rule’s appetizer + soup or salad. 

E2A00129-46BF-488F-A7F8-0BF12662A649.jpeg

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 2

Completely agree European Cruise Gal; that just adds insult to injury!

NCL clearly does not care about past guests or future cruisers. Bottom line all they care about is "Revenue" which is a dangerous thing to play when us cruisers have many other choices besides giving our hard earned $$ to NCL.

FDR and co better wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do you think it is a reaction to people always looking for loop holes?  People ordering one of every app and sides just to try them all, which I have seen reported on here.  It only takes a few people to ruin things for everyone.  I personally don’t see how anyone could (or should) eat more than 1-1-1-1.  

• Like 2

I’m with you on the app selection though.  As someone who does not eat seafood, I will have to skip this too. One non-seafood choice would be nice.  I was always too full for dessert though, so maybe this time I will have room for it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shidah said:

Do you think it is a reaction to people always looking for loop holes?  People ordering one of every app and sides just to try them all, which I have seen reported on here.  It only takes a few people to ruin things for everyone.  I personally don’t see how anyone could (or should) eat more than 1-1-1-1.  

The problem for most is that they don’t want to eat 1-1-1-1. They want to eat for example 2-0-1-1 or 0-2-1-0 or whatever. So it’s not about eating more - it’s about being able to choose what you want to eat. 

My dear father for example never eats dessert and rarely an appetizer at a restaurant. He however always, and I mean always, wants to eat a soup and a salad at a restaurant. This is the main gripe for people I suspect. They want to decide what to include. NCL would have been wiser to say ”your meal includes 4 courses (1 main max) + sides” and then each pax could choose which four those are. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 5

I really think this would be allowed.  If someone asked if they could have a soup instead of an app, I can’t see them turning that down. I have never been told no to anything I have asked for like that, being a super picky eater I sub things all the time.  But I have never said give me one of every app you have.

• Like 5

I love food, not sweets so much. So for me I enjoyed several appetizers, not one of each item on the menu, just a few. I rarely eat soup/salad because I have that often at home. And I almost NEVER order dessert.

So see it isn't that I'm actually eating more food and costing NCL more $$, it's really about the lack of being to be able to order what I prefer. NCL updating the T&C to just 111 is just infuriating and really does not work for me and is going to be a major cog in my book for future NCL cruises.

• Like 1

I am getting ready to leave (2 weeks from today) on a 15 day Joy cruise through the Panama Canal. I feel I got a great price on a Haven Cabin , yet I still consider this trip to be a "final splurge" before I go on a fixed income! I added the Free at Sea Plus - so I have the upgraded drink package and 5 speciality dinners. I will admit being nervous that the alcohols I would like to try may not be available and that the quality and or quantity of food may be diminished. However, I'm going into this eyes wide open and I don't understand the complaints here! Especially from anyone living in the United States -what hasn't become more expensive, what service hasn't become diminished if not more expensive or worse diminished and more expensive here in the US?

I have retired to a Major US Island that is considered to be one of the top vacation spots in the US and everything costs more. I will limit my comments to entertainment and food- every restaurant costs more- every excursion costs more, most of the restaurants are charging a 3% add on fee to use a credit card, food and service are inconsistent, some restaurants changed the quality of items being served down to now very obviously serving more processed and institutional type food so much so that I no longer eat there. Fast food restaurants are closing because no one will work. Grocery store shelfs are empty, people started eating eggs as their protein more often so for 3 days there were no eggs on the shelf!

Understanding all of this I have zero expectations that my cruise experience will be anything like my last cruise pre-covid. I will go on it excited as always - eyes wide open- and I will enjoy it immensely!  I will go and hope to get more than one appetizer at Speciality Restaurants, I will ask for multiple lobster tails at dinner in the Haven, I will expect bagels, cream cheese and fresh lox on the Haven breakfast buffet, I will hope to drink top shelf Bourbon all week just to name a few wish list items I have - but if any of my wish list items are not available I will indulge the best that I can! If too many are not I will reevaluate if my next vacation will be a cruise. If any one would want to hear it I will report back on my experience after my return on Feb. 6th and let you know what changes had a good or bad effect on my experience - but one thing I won't do is complain about NCL or any other company trying to deal with changes placed on this world that they had nothing to do with. 

I would say Cruise Well everybody but I will change it to Vacation Well Everybody! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

It’s even worse than you think. This below seems to be the newest Cagney’s menu. Not able to eat fish or seafood? Too bad, no appetizer for you then and with the 1-1-1-1 you cannot take a soup and salad instead of the 1-1-1-1 rule’s appetizer + soup or salad. 

E2A00129-46BF-488F-A7F8-0BF12662A649.jpeg

Woah woah woah... no Tomahawk, and the PORTERHOUSE has an upcharge now?  Yikes.  Guess I either won't be going to Cagney's next time or will get to try the prime rib.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

The problem for most is that they don’t want to eat 1-1-1-1. They want to eat for example 2-0-1-1 or 0-2-1-0 or whatever. So it’s not about eating more - it’s about being able to choose what you want to eat. 

My dear father for example never eats dessert and rarely an appetizer at a restaurant. He however always, and I mean always, wants to eat a soup and a salad at a restaurant. This is the main gripe for people I suspect. They want to decide what to include. NCL would have been wiser to say ”your meal includes 4 courses (1 main max) + sides” and then each pax could choose which four those are. 

Completely agree with this. I would much rather have soup and salad than any of the appetizers at Cagney’s because no appetizers are seafood/fish free. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shidah said:

No, no, no, no.  Not going to blame this on the guests.  This is just one more example of NCL's core competency (nickel and diming).

3 hours ago, Shidah said:

I personally don’t see how anyone could (or should) eat more than 1-1-1-1.  

Have you seen how small the appetizers have become?  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

No, no, no, no.  Not going to blame this on the guests.  This is just one more example of NCL's core competency (nickel and diming).

Have you seen how small the appetizers have become?  

Spot On! I'm not taking the "it's the cruisers' fault" crap...  🙂

• Like 2

wow. it seems like getting a better than life bargain on a cruise ship is going away. I couldnt believe the cost of the brazilian steakhouse moderno chiarascurra.. it has doubled per person since our last cruise. 

Edited by v3cruiser
refined description of restaurant

4 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

This!

My husband had gastric sleeve surgery.  He physically can not eat a lot of food at one sitting. He would be a 2-0-0-0 person. Maybe a 0-0-1-0 person.  I would be more of a 1-0-1-0 or 0-1-1-0 person.  Occasionally adding a dessert, but rarely and it's shared (we get our sweet tooth a few hours later.)

I get the need to dial back, food costs are out of control.  But this isn't the right way, they need to be a little more flexible in the offerings. 

One question...  Does anyone know for sure that they won't allow no app, soup, salad, entree, no dessert 0-2-1-0 or another combination?  Naturally, only 1 entree but there's a lot of speculation here with no verification.

Sounds like many here are okay with 4 items just not how they're listed.  Why not wait to see how it's actually working?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phoenix1181 said:

One question...  Does anyone know for sure that they won't allow no app, soup, salad, entree, no dessert 0-2-1-0 or another combination?  Naturally, only 1 entree but there's a lot of speculation here with no verification.

Sounds like many here are okay with 4 items just not how they're listed.  Why not wait to see how it's actually working?

That would make too much sense and people would have less to complain about. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Exactly this.  I strongly dislike all forms of seafood and almost never eat sweets.  All I want from Cagney's is a good steak, soup and a salad.  I hope there will be some flexibility in actual practice or the specialty restaurants will be drastically reduced in value for me.  I really can't imagine though that you will still be able to order as you please in the MDR but not in a specialty restaurant.  That makes no sense at all.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Exactly this.  I strongly dislike all forms of seafood and almost never eat sweets.  All I want from Cagney's is a good steak, soup and a salad.  I hope there will be some flexibility in actual practice or the specialty restaurants will be drastically reduced in value for me.  I really can't imagine though that you will still be able to order as you please in the MDR but not in a specialty restaurant.  That makes no sense at all.

We order as we please in specialty restaurants and just pay the up charges/additional charges. Always have. 

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We order as we please in specialty restaurants and just pay the up charges/additional charges. Always have. 

I'm with you!  After spending thousands, it makes no sense to worry about another few dollars for something I want.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, you do understand that FDR is not the CEO of NCL. Harry is. And Harry is calling the shots. 

FDR, Mr. Sommer. Bird; It really doesn't matter who's name is at the helm, what matters to me is what they're sheepishly doing behind their customers backs, all in the name of maximizing revenue at any cost. FDR started the whole NiCkeL and diming and it appears that Mr. Harry is continuing that trend.

I thought I've read a recent post that stated you've ordered multiple apps etc. at the Specialties however were never charged for the extra items (you replied that you just pay the extra charges)? Maybe I'm mistaken. Just to confirm I'm not really complaining about the "up" charges for select cuts of steak or other entree as I never have and never will pay extra for those items; that is a completely separate issue. I simply wont order the specialty items.

I'm standing by my humble opinion, there's no way NCL should expect me to now limit my specialty restaurant items, restrict the number of items in each menu category (1,1,1) or pay extra for the those items that I've normally received at no charge, when I originally paid for these packages in full (extra SDP plans, upgraded SDP plans etc) without these restrictions 6 months ago (T&C had 0 restrictions regarding multiple apps etc for FAS and SDP packages other than the usual only 1 entree permitted; perfectly fine with that one). The issue is exacerbated with the ironic and timely "shrinking" of multiple appetizers and sides. I also have a hard time believing "anyone" would be happy with paying $3 for a mere slice of Zucchini.

Just pointing out that it seems I am not alone in my opinion from the responses within the thread..

Edited by Warm-Water Diver
  • Like 3