Diff. between OLife & CruiseOnly - help save me from another 30min call to Oceania

dcsam

Hello from the coast of Washington Coast.  We're looking at a Regatta, Alaska cruise.  I called Oceania today (30 min. hold time), so I'm hoping you can offer advice without me calling them back.  

We don't need air (just a drive to Seattle).  And was told a $600 credit per person.  BUT is that only if we book the 'OLife' rate or is it also deducted if we book just the 'Cruisefare' rate?  I see two different rates listed on the Oceania website.  

Thanks so much.

You can do

1) cruise only or

2) add air or

3) add O-Life (a whole nother kettle o' fish) or

4) add air and O-Life

You can add/subtract until final payment, so get cruise only and you can decide about O-Life later.

Instead of calling O, find a travel agent with O experience (so they have a clue about O-Life mostly, but also for additional perks).

Enjoy!

You "prepay" the $600 credit.   So it is not "free".   Then you are "forced" to spend it onboard.   Those who don't want to do private excursions will often say take the shore excursions as you can book excursions up to a certain dollar amount, which can be a substantial savings.

We always book cruise only fare.

Joe

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dcsam said:

Hello from the coast of Washington Coast.  We're looking at a Regatta, Alaska cruise.  I called Oceania today (30 min. hold time), so I'm hoping you can offer advice without me calling them back.  

We don't need air (just a drive to Seattle).  And was told a $600 credit per person.  BUT is that only if we book the 'OLife' rate or is it also deducted if we book just the 'Cruisefare' rate?  I see two different rates listed on the Oceania website.  

Thanks so much.

The cruise only fare is the fare with no OLife and no air.  There is no further reduction.  The other fare listed includes OLife and air, and you can chose to opt out of either or both.  If you chose OLife only, the cost is the pp cruise only fare plus the 1/2 the amount that is listed as onboard credit per cabin...i.e the pp onboard credit.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

you can do  a mock booking online  & just check the O life  perk or none  plus no air  & see what works for you

Getting  a TA that knows Oceania & how it works  is the best  way to go 😉

When I go to Oceania website from France, I cannot find any fare with cruise only. What they call the standard fare always includes the Olife option. Do you know whether the Olife option can be removed? I still have the final payment to make next March so I would be glad to opt out before that deadline. Thanks for your input.

Remember my first time call direct to O in late Jan '21. Booked within a few minutes. Walked thru the options and quickly knew wanted just cruise only fare, no airfare or OLIFE. Was simple and easy. Never used a TA yet. Booked 2nd cruise while on Riviera in late 2021. Then booked 3 more cruises direct thru O in early 2022.

Pay attention to O sales. The big Presidents' Day sale next month!

45 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Remember my first time call direct to O in late Jan '21. Booked within a few minutes. Walked thru the options and quickly knew wanted just cruise only fare, no airfare or OLIFE. Was simple and easy. Never used a TA yet. Booked 2nd cruise while on Riviera in late 2021. Then booked 3 more cruises direct thru O in early 2022.

Pay attention to O sales. The big Presidents' Day sale next month!

Always use a TA. Mine rebates between 8 and 11% of the cost of the cruise either in the form of a check sent 2 weeks before the cruise or prepaid gratuities. Cannot see paying a significantly higher price for my cruise by not using my travel agent.

25 minutes ago, edgee said:

Always use a TA. Mine rebates between 8 and 11% of the cost of the cruise either in the form of a check sent 2 weeks before the cruise or prepaid gratuities. Cannot see paying a significantly higher price for my cruise by not using my travel agent.

Since I book mine at O sale prices or while on board, not an issue for me. Tell me, will your TA reduce the price of your room when you see it on sale say in the upcoming Presidents' Day sale? I book the inside G or F when I first see the itinerary I want and then use the sales to upgrade.

32 minutes ago, edgee said:

Pulled out the old file folder for my first O cruise. Riviera 12/13-23/2021. Booked it initially as a C-Deluxe Outside at $1899 pp. When the Presidents' Day sale dropped a couple weeks later, changed it to an A4-Concierge Veranda for $2099 pp. And cruise only for us. We can save on our own excursions. (We drove to Miami for this cruise.) 

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

"Pay attention to O sales. The big Presidents' Day sale next month!"

In your experience, which sale during the year is usually O's best sale?

We are thinking about giving O a whirl in '24 and knowing the best time to buy would be very helpful. Thank you very much, indeed.

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Pulled out the old file folder for my first O cruise. Riviera 12/13-23/2021. Booked it initially as a C-Deluxe Outside at $1899 pp. When the Presidents' Day sale dropped a couple weeks later, changed it to an A4-Concierge Veranda for $2099 pp. And cruise only for us. We can save on our own excursions. (We drove to Miami for this cruise.) 

11 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Since I book mine at O sale prices or while on board, not an issue for me. Tell me, will your TA reduce the price of your room when you see it on sale say in the upcoming Presidents' Day sale? I book the inside G or F when I first see the itinerary I want and then use the sales to upgrade.

Absolutely.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I'm not edgee, but yes, our TA will reprice our booking for a sale.  Also I sometimes book on board and have the ambassador on board transfer it to our agent who provides our perks.

• Like 1

Good for both of YOU and your ANONYMOUS TAs (1985rz1 & edgee), but we have no idea how much you spend annually with them. As I learned with my MBA, TANSTAAFL when someone is getting paid to do something. Just curious, mind telling us how much business in $s you've booked thru your TA in the past say 3-5 years?

When I've asked this of others, they've admitted their TA wouldn't rebook at the lower price.

Just good to know what works for us works for us. 

3 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

When I go to Oceania website from France, I cannot find any fare with cruise only. What they call the standard fare always includes the Olife option. Do you know whether the Olife option can be removed? I still have the final payment to make next March so I would be glad to opt out before that deadline. Thanks for your input.

Can you do a test booking on their website ?

If so just uncheck the boxes for O life & air if allowed

You may have to call your TA or O  to find out  how it works there

In North America  we can  remove air & O life perks

2 hours ago, no1talks said:

We are thinking about giving O a whirl in '24 and knowing the best time to buy would be very helpful. Thank you very much, indeed.

it varies  but if you want  a specific  cabin category   or  a unusual itinerary book early

If the cruise goes on sale  they will usually allow you to get the sale price

IME

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Good for both of YOU and your ANONYMOUS TAs (1985rz1 & edgee), but we have no idea how much you spend annually with them. As I learned with my MBA, TANSTAAFL when someone is getting paid to do something. Just curious, mind telling us how much business in $s you've booked thru your TA in the past say 3-5 years?

When I've asked this of others, they've admitted their TA wouldn't rebook at the lower price.

we probably spend less than you & yes my TA will reprice our cruises if a better price happens

do not play the "poor me" game  when you are cruising several times a year

BTW  as you well know Cruise critic does not allow  us to share the TA information here

2 hours ago, no1talks said:

It depends on what cruise you are interested in. Not all cruises are included in these sales. Also worth mentioning is that when they advertise "up to a 4-cabin category upgrade", that might mean you can only upgrade to an A1 at the highest. When I inquired during a President's Day Sale a few years ago, I was told I couldn't upgrade to a PH. That was for the specific cruise that I was calling about.

When the President's Day Sale is advertised on the website, check the details and the list of cruises eligible and you will know more then.  At this point it's hard to say how that would compare to, for example, the Labor Day sale. 

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Oh good grief! Volume with my TA is irrelevant to the service/ rebates I get. My TA always moves mountains for me when re pricing is possible and I have done varying amounts of business with them over the years. Sometimes I have given them zero business for a few years and then I will book three or four cruises within a year. Always a good rebate...always great service. 

Just curious, mind telling us how much business in $s you've booked thru your TA in the past say 3-5 years?

We've used our current TA since 2010, and through 2022 we booked 8 cruises through her...that is less than one per year.  No,  we do not book top suites.  Even if you include what we reserved for 2023 and 2024 (some of which will likely be canceled)  , it's  just over an average of 1 per year.

I'm sorry those others don’t have TAs that are as flexible as ours, but that's their choice.

If what you are doing works for you, and you don’t see any advantage of a TA for you, then stick with what you are doing.  I'm not trying to convince you to change, just responding to questions about our experiences. 

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Oh good grief! Volume with my TA is irrelevant to the service/ rebates I get. My TA always moves mountains for me when re pricing is possible and I have done varying amounts of business with them over the years. Sometimes I have given them zero business for a few years and then I will book three or four cruises within a year. Always a good rebate...always great service. 

32 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

We've used our current TA since 2010, and through 2022 we booked 8 cruises through her...that is less than one per year.  No,  we do not book top suites.  Even if you include what we reserved for 2023 and 2024 (some of which will likely be canceled)  , it's  just over an average of 1 per year.

I'm sorry those others don’t have TAs that are as flexible as ours, but that's their choice.

If what you are doing works for you, and you don’t see any advantage of a TA for you, then stick with what you are doing.  I'm not trying to convince you to change, just responding to questions about our experiences. 

There's no point, some people already know everything, so it's a waste of keystrokes. Some folks simply have no clue what a good TA can do for you. It's the old, you can lead a horse to water.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just went through this exercise yesterday.  I wanted the O-Life perks without air.  The upcharge was $300 per person to the Cruise Only fare.  This did me no good because the perk I wanted was $600 OBC so there was no benefit.  I called my travel agent and got an additional $200 OBC for the same fare + upcharge.  Net result... I paid an additional $600 in upcharges for $800 in OBC that I will definitely use.  I had to prod my travel agent to get the extra $200.  I tried for more but to no avail.  Hopefully you can do better with your travel agent.

2 minutes ago, chrisbu315 said:

Just went through this exercise yesterday.  I wanted the O-Life perks without air.  The upcharge was $300 per person to the Cruise Only fare.  This did me no good because the perk I wanted was $600 OBC so there was no benefit.  I called my travel agent and got an additional $200 OBC for the same fare + upcharge.  Net result... I paid an additional $600 in upcharges for $800 in OBC that I will definitely use.  I had to prod my travel agent to get the extra $200.  I tried for more but to no avail.  Hopefully you can do better with your travel agent.

or you could have taken NO O LIFE  & just paid the $600  if you used it all at the end of the cruise

The OBC perk is NON REFUNDABLE

Enjoy the cruise