Current Cagney's Menu

kjquilts

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Hope you like liver.  The Le Bistro filet is served with a slice of foie gras on top.  Ruins it for me.

I think you can ask for it without the liver.  Husband and I both did the second time we ate at Le Bistro.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meglet said:

I think you can ask for it without the liver.  Husband and I both did the second time we ate at Le Bistro.

Well, I'm sold.  Foie gras and fillet mignon are two of my favorite things!  Everybody is different and that is absolutely fine.  I don't eat many things that people are crazy about (sweets, seafood) but I do love these two.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Well, I'm sold.  Foie gras and fillet mignon are two of my favorite things!  Everybody is different and that is absolutely fine.  I don't eat many things that people are crazy about (sweets, seafood) but I do love these two.

I would really love some foie gras as an appetizer (since I would rather order duck or lamb) but I don't see it on the Bistro menu.  Would a premium restaurant serve something like that upon request?  I am aware of its expense and would be willing to pay an upcharge if necessary.

1 minute ago, zzdoug said:

I would really love some foie gras as an appetizer (since I would rather order duck or lamb) but I don't see it on the Bistro menu.  Would a premium restaurant serve something like that upon request?  I am aware of its expense and would be willing to pay an upcharge if necessary.

It seems reasonable that a restaurant would be willing to serve you anything they have for sale if you are willing to pay for it.  That would be the essential relationship between buyer and seller, right?  But all hinges on the word "reasonable".  Remember that scene in the movie Easy Rider, lol?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Hope you like liver.  The Le Bistro filet is served with a slice of foie gras on top.  Ruins it for me.

As long as that Foie Gras is still available on top of the steak. Hey- I’d pay $100 for the Foie alone. 

Sorry, birds, you just taste too good. Nothing more amazing than Foie Gras!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I too remember when Cagneys was "don't miss" but sadly those days are over. We may make it there on our trip next week, but we haven't reserved it.  Last time I ordered onion rings and got 3 sad little completely unseasoned things that had clearly slid right out of a freezer bag into the fryer. School cafeteria level stuff, as was the baked potato I got a different night (incredibly cold sour cream on a wee potato that had been sitting a while under a lamp.)

Also agree about the fish issue - they don't really pretend to be a proper steakhouse any more.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

I too remember when Cagneys was "don't miss" but sadly those days are over. We may make it there on our trip next week, but we haven't reserved it.  Last time I ordered onion rings and got 3 sad little completely unseasoned things that had clearly slid right out of a freezer bag into the fryer. School cafeteria level stuff, as was the baked potato I got a different night (incredibly cold sour cream on a wee potato that had been sitting a while under a lamp.)

Also agree about the fish issue - they don't really pretend to be a proper steakhouse any more.

This was my experience in Cagney's too. We went once. Have never been back. The onion rings we received, I think it was four, were cold, bland, and ridiculously plated in those little dishes. I'm actually not a fan of baked potatoes anywhere on NCL. They're always small (probably better for me, but I like a big tater) and always seem to be not quite cooked. On last week's cruise I didn't even bother with the baked potato.

We also ordered the potatoes au gratin, as the macaroni and cheese was sadly taken off the menu. I didn't finish these. They were way overcooked, the cheese tasted weird, and they just didn't make for a pleasurable eating experience.

My husband's steak (filet) was overcooked, then under cooked, then overcooked, but only slightly so he ate it at my insistence. BTW, he ordered his steak medium. Not sure why that was so hard for the cook to do. My steak (rib eye) was a wee bit tough and had nary a fleck of salt or pepper on it.

It's really unfortunate as I had heard so many delightful reviews of Cagney's.

• Like 1

Pull out more photos from DW's SS Galaxy - just to illustrate ...

and, that's the Grilled Fisherman's Platter - a la carte priced now at $45 + 20%, of course, few pay "full" price & dine with the package, except, some do ...

We are going to use these to compare, later this month onboard - stay tuned for it. 

20220511_1930C.jpg

20220511_1929C.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Pull out more photos from DW's SS Galaxy - just to illustrate ...

and, that's the Grilled Fisherman's Platter - a la carte priced now at $45 + 20%, of course, few pay "full" price & dine with the package, except, some do ...

We are going to use these to compare, later this month onboard - stay tuned for it. 

20220511_1930C.jpg

20220511_1929C.jpg

Great pics!

On 1/9/2023 at 12:48 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Thanks for the head's up ... foie gras is one of the very few foods I don't eat for ethical reasons. Unless someone's come up with a more humane way to produce it, because the traditional method just seems cruel. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, pookel said:

Thanks for the head's up ... foie gras is one of the very few foods I don't eat for ethical reasons. Unless someone's come up with a more humane way to produce it, because the traditional method just seems cruel. 

Good for  you.  One wonders how many are familiar with the process of force feeding geese until their liver swells to the point of almost bursting?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Good for  you.  One wonders how many are familiar with the process of force feeding geese until their liver swells to the point of almost bursting?

I did a little research after posting and it does seem that some farmers have developed methods that are less cruel (essentially allowing geese to gorge themselves voluntarily) so it may be possible to get ethical foie gras at some restaurants. I would expect a cruiseline to just get the cheapest mass-market/factory-farmed stuff, though.

On 1/10/2023 at 10:22 AM, cruiseny4life said:

This was my experience in Cagney's too. We went once. Have never been back. The onion rings we received, I think it was four, were cold, bland, and ridiculously plated in those little dishes. I'm actually not a fan of baked potatoes anywhere on NCL. They're always small (probably better for me, but I like a big tater) and always seem to be not quite cooked. On last week's cruise I didn't even bother with the baked potato.

It's really unfortunate as I had heard so many delightful reviews of Cagney's.

Agree, I've tried Cagney's twice, with multiple sailings in between just to give it another shot, and I just can't do it.  It's just not good.  Steaks for the most part are just not NCL's thing.  I've only ever really liked the Filet at Teppanyaki, and the Haven restaurant had a special menu insert during the Dec 2021/New Years 2022 sailing with a prime new york strip that was actually really good. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 5:10 AM, zzdoug said:

How is the creamed spinach?  It's my favorite side item at a steak restaurant. 

I think the quality of the creamed spinach has declined in recent years. 
Most upscale steakhouses I have gone to the creamed spinach is made with cream cheese, a bit of garlic and heavy cream and just a touch of nutmeg which is perfection. NCL uses none of those, and the taste is bland  imo.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I went to Cagney's once, August on the Bliss.  I got the ribeye, and my wife ordered the fillet, both were fantastic!  

Glad to hear this.  We're on the Bliss in two weeks and I have Cagney's booked for the first sea day.  Always enjoyed it in the past but lately it seems to depend on what ship you are on maybe?

3 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Glad to hear this.  We're on the Bliss in two weeks and I have Cagney's booked for the first sea day.  Always enjoyed it in the past but lately it seems to depend on what ship you are on maybe?

I can't honestly say because this was the first time we went to Cagney's.  I have had good steaks and I have had bad.  For the most part I am not picky but this time it checked all the boxes: good flavor, good texture, not over/under cooked.

We have the 2 "free" specialty meals on our Bliss sailing next week and have reserved at Cagney's. We already paid $20 in gratuities when we booked our cruise.

Do we have to pay more gratuities/20% service charge or was that it?

Also, I assume our 4 year old son can just eat off the regular kids menu there for no charge?

Thanks

Edited by SuzieQ521

51 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

We have the 2 "free" specialty meals on our Bliss sailing next week and have reserved at Cagney's. We already paid $20 in gratuities when we booked our cruise.

Also, I assume our 4 year old son can just eat off the regular kids menu there for no charge?

Thanks

You do not need to pay more in gratuities.  You'll get a receipt to sign, and I usually do put $10 down, but it isn't required.  Kiddos can eat off the kids menu for free.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Ah, the French claim that geese essentially enjoy getting fattened to death…

Admittedly, I don’t believe a word of it. But it gives me an excellent excuse to continue enjoying such a delicious piece of torture meat up in a while 🙂

4 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

My understanding is that certain menu items carry a dining plan supplement or surcharge.  The printed menu is in this thread. If you select one of the surcharge items, you will be charged the supplement price as stated on the menu. For your convenience, NCL will also add an additional 20% gratuity or service charge on top of the 20% you've already paid pre-cruise.

Edited by luv2kroooz

3 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

My understanding is that certain menu items carry a dining plan supplement or surcharge.  The printed menu is in this thread. If you select one of the surcharge items, you will be charged the supplement price as stated on the menu. For your convenience, NCL will also add an additional 20% gratuity or service charge on top of the 20% you've already paid pre-cruise.

But they will only add an additional 20% gratuity (above what we already paid pre-cruise) to SURCHARGE ITEMS, not what would be included under the FAS items allowed, correct? 

Edited by SuzieQ521
  • Like 1