Which cruise lines charge in US dollars in Australia?

55 minutes ago, lissie said:

Becareful of that - in the fine print I found you still have to pay gratuities on the  "free" elements of the have it all package ie 20% on the dining, drinks so-called value - it added up 

Not true. The only time we were charged gratuities was when we ordered a drink above the limit and the gratuity was only on the extra charge. We did not get charged a gratuity on our "free" speciality dining.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:55 PM, Chiliburn said:

I thought the Carnival brands use local currency.

Just to note RCG only give a exchange rate of 51 cents . So if you go to guest service and say I want to settle my account with $AU they are only going to give you US 51 cents to a $AU..

Charge it to your credit card and get your credit card to convert it.

Good to know. Thanks. 

On 1/6/2023 at 12:48 PM, MMDown Under said:

Thank you everyone.  I just don't want to be tempted.  I will peruse Princess and P&O Cruises from Aust/NZ.  Lucky I enjoyed my cruise on Carnival's Luminosa, so I'd like to cruise with them again.

I'd rather pay US$ than cruise with P&O. 

Just do the conversion. It's not any cheaper because they charge in AUD$. They just change the bar menus. Tempted? You think you'll spend more becuase you think it's cheaper? How do you cope going overseas?  

35 minutes ago, sayaguru said:

Just do the conversion. It's not any cheaper because they charge in AUD$. They just change the bar menus. Tempted? You think you'll spend more becuase you think it's cheaper? How do you cope going overseas?  

The difference is that you aren't at the mercy of exchange rate fluctuations on an AUD cruise. You can budget on exact pricing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sayaguru said:

Good to know. Thanks. 

I have coped very well travelling overseas all my adult life, until the pandemic.  When I cruised overseas, the cost was the currency of the country the cruise was cruising from (not US$). 

On 1/6/2023 at 2:46 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

And the exchange rate for the prepaid gratuities was very favourable. Around 0.70 instead of the 0.65 at the time.

That's what I found when i prepaid with  HAL