“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

Had this the other night, in the MDR, “chef’s special”.  “roadhouse chili, guacamole, and a baked potato”.  It was tasty and all, but….seems to me these three things cry out for accompaniments - guacamole needs fresh chips, chili needs, well, lotsa stuff…and baked potato is pointless without butter, sour cream, ground pepper & crumbled bacon, or whatever you, dear reader, prefer.  The combo is nice in theory (although seems just a little like “tonight we’re going to be ‘déclassé-chic’ by lowering our standards to this sort of food”) but I think the overall presentation could have been better thought out.  Just me.

B44F18C7-B1E4-47E4-8FCA-9B12781B79D1.thumb.jpeg.35bd5d907fe70c1712d8022f089592ae.jpeg

• Like 4

Unfortunately, for the second time, Cairns weather has conspired against us.  I recounted our previous snorkeling “Catamaran Trip From Great Barrier Reef To Hell and Back” a few days ago, and today the stormy weather wiped out our anticipated train journey (“heavy rains have presented flash flood and landslide warnings”)  *However*, the substituted shore excursion turned out to be great - we took the Kuranda Skyrail trip over the tropical rainforest.  Very impressive, and I don’t quite know why Barron Falls aren’t (“isn’t”?) more widely known.  Amazing.

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:27 PM, frantic36 said:

…..curtains closed….. @shark b8have you had any comment onboard Sojourn regarding this?

Have not followed up on this but have not forgotten, we’ve done a few days of non-MDR dining.  But for frantic36 and anyone else following the thread, I will try to be an intrepid investigative journalist, and with any luck I’ll be able to blow the whistle on Big Window-Cover-Up.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

Had this the other night, in the MDR, “chef’s special”.  “roadhouse chili, guacamole, and a baked potato”.  It was tasty and all, but….seems to me these three things cry out for accompaniments - guacamole needs fresh chips, chili needs, well, lotsa stuff…and baked potato is pointless without butter, sour cream, ground pepper & crumbled bacon, or whatever you, dear reader, prefer.  The combo is nice in theory (although seems just a little like “tonight we’re going to be ‘déclassé-chic’ by lowering our standards to this sort of food”) but I think the overall presentation could have been better thought out.  Just me.

B44F18C7-B1E4-47E4-8FCA-9B12781B79D1.thumb.jpeg.35bd5d907fe70c1712d8022f089592ae.jpeg

I agree with you.  Guacamole requires chips and I've never heard of baked potato with chili.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SLSD said:

I agree with you.  Guacamole requires chips and I've never heard of baked potato with chili.  

I would have put the chili *on* the baked potato.  That's a meal!  But guac without chips? Nah.

• Like 3

Saminia 

In the past few weeks we have not much visited the Obs Bar because we made a habit of the Club where we enjoyed the 70s style music of the trio. Also, people in the post “expo” segment seem to dress with more care and of course cannot holler across its straight line bar “hey where are you guys from” etc. Anyway, with this different crowd from Buenos Aires onward the Obs Bar is now more dignified IMO. The pianist is Filippo Favretta and we like what he does.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markham said:

Saminia 

In the past few weeks we have not much visited the Obs Bar because we made a habit of the Club where we enjoyed the 70s style music of the trio. Also, people in the post “expo” segment seem to dress with more care and of course cannot holler across its straight line bar “hey where are you guys from” etc. Anyway, with this different crowd from Buenos Aires onward the Obs Bar is now more dignified IMO. The pianist is Filippo Favretta and we like what he does.

Sorry if we offended you in the OBS by sitting by a window and enjoying our caviar and drinks! 😉 And yes, there were evenings that we found the bar area loud, especially when two men are sitting right next to one another at the talking in VERY loud voices. I can only assume hearing issues.........

Enjoy the rest of you voyage without us "expo" folks........and yes, Filippo was pleasant listening as is the Club Bar. We sometimes left OBS to go to the Club before dinner when the crowd was a bit much there

19 hours ago, florisdekort said:

There is an arts & crafts person on board that hosts 2 get togethers a day, painting and other crafts, at 10 am and 2 pm. And Cruise Director Ross hosts a needlepoint social at 4 pm on most days. There’s mahjong on the program (un-hosted). And from memory I have indeed seen bridge lessons advertised occasionally. 

16 hours ago, markham said:

On Quest there is a robust Bridge program, judging by the numbers in attendance during the Miami to Buenos Aires segments (which included some bad weather cancelled landings days in Antarctica). Now that we are in the warmer climes with fewer sea days I am not sure.

The earlier segments’ art classes were well attended, often twice a day. There are far fewer participants now overall, and that may be due to better weather for deck time, but also the instructor brought/has the wrong type of paper for watercolours. In the meantime some made Carnevale masks.

As an aside, we are now in hot Rio and have our first overnight since Lima. Consensus among us is we certainly would have enjoyed an overnight in beautiful Buenos Aires a few days ago too since much was closed on our single day there. 

Thank you both.

Sharkb8,

Those circled howlers on your Sojourn cruise are pathetic.

The errors in Quest Heralds and menus are not less laughable. It is weird to pretend to be 5 stars with so little regard for details and improvement. Honestly. The product has been dumbed down literally.

• Like 1

@shark b8 We'll be boarding Sojourn in late May in Barcelona (with a group of 5 other couples, several new to Seabourn) — which I think is the first cruise after the end of your world cruise. (Didn't realize that when we got our group to book this cruise.)  I'm a little concerned that a the crew 'A' team from the world cruise will all head home in Barcelona when your cruise ends, and we'll have the 'B' team with a lot of new/inexperienced staff. Hopefully it won't be too much of a step down. Whenever you have a chance, could you find out who will be cruise director starting on the May 27 cruise, and if a lot of senior staff (e.g Hotel Director, F&B manager, head chef) will all be changing on that cruise? Thanks.

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

@shark b8 We'll be boarding Sojourn in late May in Barcelona (with a group of 5 other couples, several new to Seabourn) — which I think is the first cruise after the end of your world cruise. (Didn't realize that when we got our group to book this cruise.)  I'm a little concerned that a the crew 'A' team from the world cruise will all head home in Barcelona when your cruise ends, and we'll have the 'B' team with a lot of new/inexperienced staff. Hopefully it won't be too much of a step down. Whenever you have a chance, could you find out who will be cruise director starting on the May 27 cruise, and if a lot of senior staff (e.g Hotel Director, F&B manager, head chef) will all be changing on that cruise? Thanks.

We’ll still be here, as we’re on until Monaco, 6 June - so see you then 🙂 Officers and crew change continuously. Our current Captain is leaving in Melbourne, Hotel Director Luca is leaving in the Seychelles, TKG has new leadership as of yesterday, there’s new people in The Square, etc. etc. There won’t be an “everyone leaves” event in Barcelona. Some will go, some will stay, and the same will happen in the next turn-around port, and so on. But yes, Cruise Director Ross is leaving in Barcelona. I’ll see if they already know who is scheduled to replace him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little down-thread on this (still recovering from trying to snorkel the GBR in 2 meter swells!), but there are art classes every sea day both morning and afternoon, and a daily 4 pm sewing/crafting session in the O-Bar, hosted by Ross whenever he's available.

Goaliemom has been a regular, and raves about both.

• Like 2