“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

1 hour ago, goaliedad30 said:

we Ubered out to Costco ... 

Ahh!  Brilliant!  I wish I would have thought of it…I have wondered about trying to find my beloved Zaya rum along the way, as well as the “Terroir” gin from St George.  I shall have to do more “due diligence”.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shark b8 said:

So, since we’re speaking about adult beverages…..riddle me this, Batman.   I’m not remotely a serious beer-enthusiast, I have maybe one a month or so, usually with Indian food.  So for you diehard beer-ers:    It strikes me as odd, that when you ask for a beer onboard, they bring you….a glass of beer.  I mean, no bottle, just the glass of beer.  I would equally wrinkle my brow if you asked for a specific wine label/varietal and they just brought a glass of wine…..obvs with wine they pour it from the requested bottle, at the table.  Now, I’m not remotely suggesting Seabourn has devised a diabolical scheme to substitute cheap beer and save $0.14 per bottle, just seems like it would be proper (and easy) to bring the bottle & glass, and pour/serve at the table.  Yes?  No?

First, I want to say how much I look forward to reading your posts and pictures everyday. I get a little jealous 😂, but enjoying greatly.

As a beer connoisseur, I agree that the beer should be poured from the bottle at the table, and left for your perusal. I’ve had it done both ways at Seabourn, but like to see the bottle. Especially if it’s a new beer to me,as in many different ports

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shark b8 said:

just seems like it would be proper (and easy) to bring the bottle & glass, and pour/serve at the table.  Yes?  No?

Yes. I expect to see the bottle when I order a bottle of beer. Sometimes the barman will pour it, sometimes just uncap it. On the Quest in 2020 the bartender uncapped bottles with the rim of his stainless steel shaker.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shark b8 said:

What other sailaways do CC-ers rate near the top, any takers?  I’d put Sydney, Malta, Dover up there.

Rio de Janeiro and Stockholm were additional favorites of mine.

Keep up the excellent reporting, shark b8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 2:19 AM, Mauzac said:

am in sporadic contact with the Assistant CD and his wife from our Grand Pacific Voyage end of last year, and … he told me he is joining Sojourn at the end of March to finish up the WC, Bali to Barcelona and is very excited to be doing this.  I am so jealous, you are all so lucky! 

@Mauzac Is he leaving in Barcelona? That's when we board. :classic_sad:

On 3/6/2023 at 12:10 AM, Mr Luxury said:

That'll take the enamel off your teeth.

Another reason to buy wine from the list.

This is just a temporary replacement because they ran out. Montaudon will be loaded again in Sydney. 

• Thanks 1

Seems to me a little while back, someone posted that the turnover in Sydney would be a net pax gain of 20-25.  I was talking to an officer this morning, asked, and got essentially the same answer - about 100 leaving, 120 boarding.  So the net number is only slightly higher, and we’re still not much over 75% capacity.

8 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

…like to see the bottle. Especially if it’s a new beer to me,as in many different ports

That’s another thing - for a long while I’d ask if there was a beer matching our present port or country - Indian or Thai or whatever.   I have only been told about essentially the same labels - Stella, Heineken, mostly internationally-well-known stuff.  Like I said, I don't have beer too often, but I’d be interested in trying more local, obscure brews, if such were available. 

• Like 2

Had a pretty impressive “Aussie Burger” for lunch yesterday.   But on closer inspection, I had to deduct points for the big slab of (*shudder*) beet therein.  Assuming y’all agree with me that beets are inescapably evil. 😱

EAE8EDE4-5E5C-459F-A5A9-ED532588F337.thumb.jpeg.cd8c4c04786d5ef16d8ffd0d84f3b065.jpeg

1B450E9C-1E0F-4192-A8E2-0B75AACD5E5B.thumb.jpeg.40058f57e21e2546a989f535d31e5d72.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

a pretty impressive “Aussie Burger” for lunch 

“ ‘Stralia, ‘Stralia, ‘Stralia, ‘Stralia, we love you, amen!”     (If you get it, you get it.  If you don’t, you won’t).     😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, shark b8 said:

But on closer inspection, I had to deduct points for the big slab of (*shudder*) beet therein.  Assuming y’all agree with me that beets are inescapably evil. 😱

Beets are literally the ONLY food I do not eat.  I am shuddering.  Quite a burger though.  I'm enjoying your commentary.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1