“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

On 1/6/2023 at 7:37 PM, shark b8 said:

Aloha, everybody.  If you ever lived in SoCal like we did, “the big one” always referred to earthquakes, but for us right now, it’s the WORLD cruise on the Sojourn, 140 days. We sailed out of Miami about an hour ago (90 min’s late, the usual sailaway festivities around the pool had long since ended).  Anyway, I obvs have read some disquieting things about the Sojourn on this board recently, and have also read those who had pretty much the opposite view.  I’ll try to call balls & strikes, although I will readily confess up front that I’m pretty biased in Seabourn’s favor…..otherwise we wouldn’t keep sailing with them, & this is #14.  As always, would love to field any questions and I’ll do my best to answer honestly.  Woohooo, here we go! 

Can i ask a favor please? I need to get a message to Ryan, the CD, about some photos he promised to send me. Would you pass a message along please? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, breadandbutter said:

Can i ask a favor please? I need to get a message to Ryan, the CD, about some photos he promised to send me. Would you pass a message along please? 

I answered your request a couple of weeks ago when I was on Sojourn.  This is a copy of my answer, which apparently you didn't read:

On 12/19/2022 at 2:43 PM, breadandbutter said:

Is anyone going on Sojourn soon, and would be willing  to pass a message along to Ryan (cd) for me please?

It's nothing nasty, he was supposed to send me some digital photos, but I haven't received them. I'm thinking maybe the file size is too big. 

I spoke with Ryan this morning.  He’ll look into it if he can get your name, email address and which cruise this is about.  
I guess you can either post that information here and then I can pass it on to him, or you can email him directly if that is possible.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

I answered your request a couple of weeks ago when I was on Sojourn.  This is a copy of my answer, which apparently you didn't read:

I spoke with Ryan this morning.  He’ll look into it if he can get your name, email address and which cruise this is about.  
I guess you can either post that information here and then I can pass it on to him, or you can email him directly if that is possible.

10 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Thank you so much for replying, I'm sorry I didn't see your reply. 

20 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

I am assuming , with your love of Indian cuisine, that you suppport the Bengals...?

hahaha, hadn’t thought about it that way.  Football is #3 for me, I’m a baseball guy and hockey is my winter sport, but we’ll enjoy whatever sport is seasonal.  I don’t really have a favorite football team, other than whichever team is playing the Raiders.  😱

The switchover from printed stuff to all digital on the Seabourn app is one of those pesky things that works for some but not for others, there has been a fair amount of back-and-forth about it.  I know there has been some criticism leveled at Seabourn about it, and it appears they may have backtracked - we are getting the printed Herald in our door-clip each night after dinner, and no, we didn’t specifically request it, so maybe Seabourn heard enough woofing about it, and relented.  I don’t mind the digital change particularly, although for me the app is still anything but perfect - the “My Itinerary” page, if you are scrolling through it it, snaps back to “today” every few seconds.  The hours for the dining venues aren’t on the dining venue pages, they’re to be found on the itinerary, stuff like that - maybe not super-serious but annoying enough to warrant some additional tinkering, seems to me.  And the folks who would scan the digital shore excursion tickets at the buses have taken to scanning cruisers’ ship cards instead, which registers the same result - I’m guessing that most people have the physical ship card at their fingertips and displayable more easily and quickly than drilling down into the app for the digital ticket, so loading the bus is quicker that way.

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

And the folks who would scan the digital shore excursion tickets at the buses have taken to scanning cruisers’ ship cards instead, which registers the same result - I’m guessing that most people have the physical ship card at their fingertips and displayable more easily and quickly than drilling down into the app for the digital ticket, so loading the bus is quicker that way.

Also, if they are in the sun, it makes it difficult to use the scanners on the phones.........at least in our experience. We find them having to angle themselves and the phones around to avoid the direct light.

The other night we docked next to this beauty. Turns out it’s the Evrima, the first of several mega-yachts built for the Four Seasons company.  I hoped to get a better look at it in daylight, but the next morning she had departed.

https://www.ritzcarltonyachtcollection.com

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ritz-carlton-cruise-evrima-photos/

85C27FE1-76E0-489E-B307-0E4086EEFFC2.thumb.jpeg.b3f5c68212e41e46a818befa3ef247b3.jpeg

• Like 2

So……….the Panama Canal.  The experience-level of so many folks on this board is so high that I suspect that an elaborate presentation of the experience would be like preaching to the choir.  Anyway, it was fun to do it again - Mrs Sharkbait and I did a transit way back in 1982, on our first ever cruise, on The Love Boa….. er, the then-Pacific Princess.   About 2-3 years ago she said “I think it would be fun to do the Panama Canal again someday”, which got me to looking around and….well, here we are.  Our previous transit was south-to-north, this time, of course, we departed the Caribbean/Atlantic and arrived at the Pacific.  I might have enjoyed it more this time than last - just an absolute miracle of engineering.

05EB00AB-7AEC-42E2-B1BA-029664481C2B.thumb.jpeg.7ffd1a214a1b6570ab6ff799d7e6914c.jpeg

81946856-A9EA-4861-B898-6E9612065C99.thumb.jpeg.db5e0156dc083523ee31aade73e2d970.jpeg

A1CC26B5-E2E3-4B8F-AA1B-9E9FB0AAB9ED.thumb.jpeg.1682eece3870ebe39d2c740e07cbd8ec.jpeg

C0276FF7-A020-49A6-90E8-174CF9A64BE0.thumb.jpeg.a20ab17b5dbd5fce90e0324f1b2197a8.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 5

We have an outstanding speaker on board by the name of Niki Sepsas, who did a 4-part Salon lecture series on the Canal, he was really terrific - informative, organized, thorough, and easy to listen to.  He described how the earlier French effort at building the canal failed so miserably especially at this point, below - the infamous “Culebra Cut”.  It’s a focal point of the continental divide and composed of super-dense volcanic basalt rock, which eventually took the lives of so many workers, and was so difficult, that the French essentially gave up.  

6C8B5C98-02FC-403F-8215-82F5534C1362.thumb.jpeg.cb767928b431662a0a08da184009a57e.jpeg

75818C0B-9A07-4358-ACA4-634D50CC620B.thumb.jpeg.166838de6a7353540f3faeea5ff3a6a1.jpeg

• Like 4

The iconic building at the Miraflores locks, the last ones before Pacific entry. These days there is a large Canal Visitor Center just opposite this building, which has a large viewing area for visitors to watch the ships as they pass through.

68E28C3F-6525-4E0B-BD4E-10B19983A57E.thumb.jpeg.fc39fe671b45d14afe7883da36da74d7.jpeg

AC8690C0-EA4B-4D59-8430-7D0D6922EBCE.thumb.jpeg.f788fedb9766561fc7de13920b7e926c.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, shark b8 said:

If that had been offered by Seabourn, I’d have already joined the mob with torches and pitchforks.   🤮

Now, that is an interesting comment.  What happened?   A few people heard a phony story after trying to order Caymus off the premium wine list?

• Haha 1

I'm happy to find this thread/blog! I impusively booked the last segment of this world cruise: Dakar, Senegal to Barcelona. Hopefully all the world cruisers aren't completely zonked by the time I get on board! I am curious as to how many people will actually embark in Dakar...