“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

Ok, back after a hectic 24 hours. Yes, SLSD, we were caught up in the fun and games yesterday…..while we were out and about in Panama City, the Captain had to move the ship from its position tied up at the dock, out to a quarter-mile or so away.  I overheard something about tidal stuff and currents and unusual seas, not sure precisely what the issue was.  In any case, they had to hurriedly enlist the tenders of course, and a large number of us waited patiently in the curse terminal for it all to start playing out.  Getting on the tender at the dock was fine, but getting off, at the ship, was dicey.  Seemed very strange to me….the seas appeared perfectly normal, no big waves or surge, but the tenders bobbed up and down at the ship’s tender platform like a (champagne) cork.  We’ve all had that experience where you sort of visually “time” your step onto the platform to correspond with when the tender is right there and level, but in this case (at least when we were there), the platform vs the tender itself were rising and falling fully 2-3 feet different from each other, it really was a bit tricky.  And when I got both feet on the ship’s platform, a big wave washed over it and my feet, I was soaked almost up to the knees.   (My sneakers are still drying out).   Never a dull moment….

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 5

…..and then, for those who opted for the 3-day off-the-ship excursion in the Galápagos Islands, well:   Had to wake up at 3:30 AM this morning, meet in the Club at 4:00 AM, take the tenders back to the port, get on the world’s bumpiest bus for the 4-hour drive to Guayaquil airport, wait in line to do Customs/immigration type stuff, fly 2 hours to Baltra, wait in line to do customs/immigration type stuff again, and then bus-drive to the channel, take a ferry to Santa Cruz Island, stop off for some lunch (nearly 4:00p) and do some tortoise-watching, and then take a bus to Puerto Ayora, then take another shuttle/ferry to the hotel dock, and walk ¼ mile to the hotel.  Just seemed like….a lot.

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 3

Shark b8, It DOES seem like a lot! 

I read somewhere that the lines holding the ship snapped.  And that's why the ship left the dock.  I even saw a photo.  But only that one report.  

It does sound like you world cruisers have been very busy!

My kids and young grandkids just got back from visiting Peru. To say we were concerned is an understatement. They only went out with guides and family who knew the area.They kept away from all protests. US State dept said it was and still  is a level three. They had a great time and and said  Peru tourism has been hammered. They were treated like royalty and after seeing their photos and hearing their stories, Peru is now on my bucket list. It will be too bad if you miss your stop in Lima.

1 hour ago, travelwell said:

My kids and young grandkids just got back from visiting Peru. To say we were concerned is an understatement. They only went out with guides and family who knew the area.They kept away from all protests. US State dept said it was and still  is a level three. They had a great time and and said  Peru tourism has been hammered. They were treated like royalty and after seeing their photos and hearing their stories, Peru is now on my bucket list. It will be too bad if you miss your stop in Lima.

We will definitely stop as they’re loading the next 2 weeks worth of food and supplies there, plus some crew is changing. We’re just debating with ourselves whether or not we’ll get off the ship. Sounds from your post it’s doable; thank you. 

23 hours ago, florisdekort said:

We will definitely stop as they’re loading the next 2 weeks worth of food and supplies there, plus some crew is changing. We’re just debating with ourselves whether or not we’ll get off the ship. Sounds from your post it’s doable; thank you. 

@florisdekort we used Haku Tours for both days in Lima. We had a driver and a guide both days and the cars were new and very comfortable. We felt very safe with them. 

• Like 2

Here’s the Sea Lion, the boat owned by our hotel (Finch Bay) - two levels, covered upper and lower with a/c.  The latter was appreciated, during today’s hike I started seeing a few spots from the heat, great to be able to cool down.  Typical day involves sailing about 2 hours to a nearby island, a nature walk, then a swim/snorkel, lunch, and return.  Yesterday we sailed by the Silver Origin in the Puerto Ayora harbor - knowing Silversea’s reputation, it certainly seems it would be a great way to do the Galápagos Islands in a little more depth if one had the time, they do continuous 7-day sailings.

C22DD148-2FE1-4D5A-85A5-09B399CBE56F.thumb.jpeg.9a16876ea79a75d2f135c00b1b53387c.jpeg

C4FF393D-95B1-4BD5-9E4D-9A531AF61DA3.thumb.jpeg.699422c496ba4bb910bb441eda4ff6fb.jpeg

4BAAF823-C1BB-4C20-AAA8-08B29C36FFCB.thumb.jpeg.075f59aa7d895488808d94e32091fc9e.jpeg

• Like 2