LHR to Southampton. Does this plan make sense?

emmak8

I have some minor mobility issues so less walking the better. I plan to arrive LHR day before cruise  at terminal 3. Take a taxi to Doubletree on Bath Rd overnight. Next day use International Friends transportation from Doubletree to Southampton cruise port. In the past I have flown into Heathrow on the day of cruise and used Princess' transfer and never had a problem. With current airlines situation I think same day flight might be too risky. Doubletree is 3 miles from airport. Is taxi best way to get there? Thank you all in advance for your help!

Just a thought - why not go direct to a hotel in Southampton for the night before your cruise ? Seems a bit pointless to spend a day and a night in a typical airport hotel, when you could stay in a better hotel in Southampton. 

• Like 2

T3 to Bath Road by taxi or Hotel Hoppa bus https://www.hotelhoppa.co.uk/

Can I presume that the Doubletree on Bath Road is one of International Friends' pick-up points?

And that you're planning to take a tour-transfer ? eg via a stop at Windsor or Stonehenge or Winchester.

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html

If it's a tour-transfer Windsor castle is excellent but involves some walking & some gradients, but Stonehenge and Winchester cathedral are well worthwhile, on level ground,  and involve only a little walking (Stonehenge price includes admission together with shuttles between visitor centre & stones).

It seems that you are aware that both ships' transfers and International Friends operate only on sailing day.

If you're considering a simple airport to ship transfer, at £85 International Friends' option is probably no better value than ship's transfer  altho that would involve returning to a Heathrow terminal for a ship's transfer bus

Or if you're independently-minded you can take the scheduled direct National Express bus from Heathrow central bus station to Southampton coach station for only £16.50.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

From there it's no more than £10 taxi fare to any cruise terminal. 

And if you heed wowzz's excellent advice you can travel to Southampton by National Express on the day you fly in - plenty of good-quality sensibly-priced hotels convenient for the city centre shops, pubs, restaurants and (admittedly-few) tourist sights. Way better than featureless cloned transient airport-land hotels with their boring food & over-priced drinks and surrounded by a sea of parking lots..

All those transport options need to be pre-booked.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

Just one other point. If you are flying overnight, you will probably be landing at LHR between 6am and 9am.

Therefore it is unlikely that your hotel room will be ready. Spending 3 or 4 hours in a hotel lobby with jet lag is no fun !

Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions! National Express seems best way to go. Thanks wowzz for reminding me room wouldn't be ready. I will work on this. Since I travel solo I need to analyze my options.  Any suggestions for hotels near the port?

Princess usually berth at Ocean Cruise Terminal (berth 46), and also at Mayflower (berth 106) and occasionally at other cruise terminals. Check this listing:

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

But no cruise terminal is more than a £10 taxi ride from any city centre hotel, and I suggest you choose one that's handy to the city centre shops, restaurants & pubs, and perhaps the few sights of old town and the waterfront.

A precis of the city centre hotels at 

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

That page includes this map, which shows those hotels, the cruise terminals, etc.

The National Express coach station is the green B.

The giant West Quays shopping mall (yellow c) is much bigger than it looks, it runs from Moxy's hotel (blue 4) to the main shopping street Above Bar (yellow D)

Southampton city map with cruise terminals and hotels

Ideal location would probably be around hotel nos 4,5,6,7,8, 16, 11 & 10..

And if you sail out of Ocean Terminal mebbe also Room2, which is just across a park from the terminal.

- Premier Inn is Britain' biggest & best budget chain, can only be booked direct, not available on comparison sites.  NB. Choose Premier Inn West Quay, is also popular with cruisers, other Premier Inns on the map are perfectly acceptable, but not as well-located.

- Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue is popular with those cruising from City Cruise Terminal, which it overlooks. But the city's two Holiday Inn Express's are out on the city outskirts.

- Travelodge is the UK's second-biggest budget chain - perhaps a little down-market.

All the city centre hotels are modern and look rather bland, except for boutiques  Pig-in-the-Wall (built into the city wall) and Ennios (old warehouse conversion) and the Mercure Dolphin, an old coaching inn.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/7/2023 at 9:06 PM, John Bull said:

Princess usually berth at Ocean Cruise Terminal (berth 46), and also at Mayflower (berth 106) and occasionally at other cruise terminals. Check this listing:

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

But no cruise terminal is more than a £10 taxi ride from any city centre hotel, and I suggest you choose one that's handy to the city centre shops, restaurants & pubs, and perhaps the few sights of old town and the waterfront.

That page includes this map, which shows those hotels, the cruise terminals, etc.

The giant West Quays shopping mall (yellow c) is much bigger than it looks, it runs from Moxy's hotel (blue 4) to the main shopping street Above Bar (yellow D)

And if you sail out of Ocean Terminal mebbe also Room2, which is just across a park from the terminal.

- Premier Inn is Britain' biggest & best budget chain, can only be booked direct, not available on comparison sites.  NB. Choose Premier Inn West Quay, is also popular with cruisers, other Premier Inns on the map are perfectly acceptable, but not as well-located.

- Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue is popular with those cruising from City Cruise Terminal, which it overlooks. But the city's two Holiday Inn Express's are out on the city outskirts.

- Travelodge is the UK's second-biggest budget chain - perhaps a little down-market.

All the city centre hotels are modern and look rather bland, except for boutiques  Pig-in-the-Wall (built into the city wall) and Ennios (old warehouse conversion) and the Mercure Dolphin, an old coaching inn.

JB 🙂

It would be really useful if the mods could make this post a "sticky". Can that be done ?

JB - there is a thread on the Princess forum about where to eat in Southampton.  I don't suppose you could pop over,  and give some alternatives to the chain restaurants in the West Quay shopping centre ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 1:06 PM, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

This is brilliant! Do you happen to know where NCL berths?

John Bull, thank you for all the valuable information you provide. I'm interested in booking the Premier Inn West Quay for 2 nights before our June 23 rd RCCL cruise but their website states they are currently undergoing renovation. Since it says "there is scaffolding and work begins at 8 am in the morning". I'm wondering if this would be a good choice or not. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

7 hours ago, irisbax3 said:

John Bull, thank you for all the valuable information you provide. I'm interested in booking the Premier Inn West Quay for 2 nights before our June 23 rd RCCL cruise but their website states they are currently undergoing renovation. Since it says "there is scaffolding and work begins at 8 am in the morning". I'm wondering if this would be a good choice or not. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

I can't find any reference to building work on their website - can you provide a link please?

This is a modern hotel, built about 8 to 10 yrs ago so I can't imagine any major  renovations, and I would expect any upgrades in January to be completed long before June

Searching the web the only references I found to building works in the area was on other websites and were years out-of-date.

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

I can't find any reference to building work on their website - can you provide a link please?

JB 🙂

JB, it comes up if you go through to do a dummy booking:

"Due to refurbishment work at this hotel, our rooms will have restricted views from the windows as there is scaffolding to the exterior of the building. We also expect some noise from construction work from 8am. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause during your stay.

There is no parking at this hotel.

The Ultimate Wi-Fi upgrade is not available at this hotel.

All twin rooms at this hotel consist of a double bed and a single sofa bed.

Refurbishment work is currently taking place at this hotel. Our contractors will only be working on the exterior of the building, so your stay should not be affected."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

This is a modern hotel, built about 8 to 10 yrs ago so I can't imagine any major  renovations, and I would expect any upgrades in January to be completed long before June

Searching the web the only references I found to building works in the area was on other websites and were years out-of-date.

JB 🙂

It's there clearly on the booking page, but I'd tend to agree that it's likely to be finished before June. I've seen a lot of modern buildings having to get re-work on their curtain wall exteriors.

Even if not finished, the problem will only manifest itself if you're a late riser. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay Budget wise I have booked Holiday Inn Express Adanac Park. I know you all say too far away but I have mobility issues so cant walk any distance so would need taxi or bus. In reading reviews of the hotel, customers mention a public bus stopping nearby. Can anyone verify? I would be arriving late day before my cruise so really no time to tour around and price is much lower in October than any other hotel.  My next question is regarding MSC Virtuosa docking at Horizon havent seen any discussions of MSC cruises any feedback? Thanks. I have lots of time to plan before cruise.

3 hours ago, skings said:

Okay Budget wise I have booked Holiday Inn Express Adanac Park. I know you all say too far away but I have mobility issues so cant walk any distance so would need taxi or bus. In reading reviews of the hotel, customers mention a public bus stopping nearby. Can anyone verify? I would be arriving late day before my cruise so really no time to tour around and price is much lower in October than any other hotel.  My next question is regarding MSC Virtuosa docking at Horizon havent seen any discussions of MSC cruises any feedback? Thanks. I have lots of time to plan before cruise.

It's about 300 yards from the hotel to the bus stop. The No 17 Blue Star bus goes to the city centre every 10 minutes. As city buses usually do, it goes round the houses & takes about 50 minutes (about 10 minutes by car).

The only facilities near the hotel is a family pub,  The Walnut Tree, about 50 yards beyond the bus stop.

It's not a good choice for convenience unless you have a car.

MSC's berth 102 at Horizon Cruise Terminal is only a ten-minute walk from Holiday Inn in Herbert Walker Avenue, you can probably see Virtuosa at her berth from a high room at the back of the hotel.

It's also convenient for city centre shops, pubs, restaurants, etc.

Is it possible to transfer your payment for the H.I.Express to the H.I. on Herbert Walker Avenue?  

MSC has the youngest & most-stylish fleet in the business. Beautiful ships, beautifully-maintained.

Haven't sailed Virtuosa, but sailed a similar-size ship (5.000 pax), MSC Seaside, in November.

Only problem was that we English-as-a-first-language were a tiny minority, so mixing with other guests was quite stilted - but you're sailing from Southampton so I would expect at least 50% of guests will be Brits with a smattering of Americans.

I would still expect the entertainment to be limited to song and dance, and very visual, with no stand-up comedians, etc.  -  and announcements in multiple languages can be a bore. But that's the only reservation that I'd have.

MSC have been sailing regularly out of Southampton for a year or more, but probably a different ship

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull