QV and/or QM2 World Cruise Blogs 2023

Oslo Dutch

55 minutes ago, Crofters said:

Morning everyone 

just completed my pre breakfast laps of the promenade deck so the food intake can commence in earnest!

there was only one trip to Luxor covering valley of the kings and Karnak, over one thousand people went. The other trips were to Hurghada and a hotel resort.

to give you a flavour of the wonderful people on board we have met a lady going to Sydney as a means of emigrating and starting a new life, a couple going the whole way who have never set foot on a cruise previously, and a couple celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary. We have also become close friends with a  lady who has 102 evening outfits for the 102 nights all packed into 14 pink suitcases! She is truly embracing the full experience and we are lucky to enjoy it with her.

Luxor was a great choice, in previous years it has been offered as an overnight and was great spending the night there. Good to hear the ship is full and there are some characters on board, that's why we sail Cunard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crofters said:

Morning everyone 

just completed my pre breakfast laps of the promenade deck so the food intake can commence in earnest!

there was only one trip to Luxor covering valley of the kings and Karnak, over one thousand people went. The other trips were to Hurghada and a hotel resort.

to give you a flavour of the wonderful people on board we have met a lady going to Sydney as a means of emigrating and starting a new life, a couple going the whole way who have never set foot on a cruise previously, and a couple celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary. We have also become close friends with a  lady who has 102 evening outfits for the 102 nights all packed into 14 pink suitcases! She is truly embracing the full experience and we are lucky to enjoy it with her.

Wow. Sounds like our famous 'MaggieMou' has some competition at last. 😁

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2023 at 12:47 AM, roscoe39 said:

awwww thanks John, there was meant to be a full world 2023 voyage but getting covid the day the ship departed has spoilt that. and this shot one will be a small compensation.....ah well....2024 here we come 

You're 2016 commentary from Brunei is hilarious. The Sultan’s mother dinner calling woes…still laughing! 

• Haha 1

Hi

Just a quick update on our further travels on QM2.

Yesterday was Roaring 20s night with lobster and baked Alaska on the menu, sadly still no parade of the chefs! Was a great night around the ship with lots of flapper dresses, feather boas and men wearing spats and hats. Our evening was made even more special when we returned to our states room to find our invite for the World Gala night onshore in Singapore on 23 February which is being held at Gardens By The Bay hotel, what a special night that will be🤩

We have seen people building boats over the last couple of days as today is Launch the boat competition and also the return of the guest talent show after 3 years.  So far as gifts we have received a centenary voyage pin, a specially commissioned designer tote bag in the 20s style and most importantly we have been entrusted to look after a bromeliad who we have christened Bronwyn! She loves long sunny days on the balcony, normally in the bin for her own protection as we have encountered quite a few windy days! Have attached a picture of Neil, the entertainment director who takes the Zumba gold class every sea day, who was game enough to wear my belly dancing jingle skirt as a special request from the ladies attending the class. He is really good fun.

208B0247-10B5-4606-8951-590A6FD7A8D6.jpeg

AF0F20F4-AD2C-4705-83D2-6A520D835021.jpeg

551C5237-9329-4699-A50E-82967BB2FFCA.jpeg

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Crofters said:

Hi

Just a quick update on our further travels on QM2.

Yesterday was Roaring 20s night with lobster and baked Alaska on the menu, sadly still no parade of the chefs! Was a great night around the ship with lots of flapper dresses, feather boas and men wearing spats and hats. Our evening was made even more special when we returned to our states room to find our invite for the World Gala night onshore in Singapore on 23 February which is being held at Gardens By The Bay hotel, what a special night that will be🤩

We have seen people building boats over the last couple of days as today is Launch the boat competition and also the return of the guest talent show after 3 years.  So far as gifts we have received a centenary voyage pin, a specially commissioned designer tote bag in the 20s style and most importantly we have been entrusted to look after a bromeliad who we have christened Bronwyn! She loves long sunny days on the balcony, normally in the bin for her own protection as we have encountered quite a few windy days! Have attached a picture of Neil, the entertainment director who takes the Zumba gold class every sea day, who was game enough to wear my belly dancing jingle skirt as a special request from the ladies attending the class. He is really good fun.

208B0247-10B5-4606-8951-590A6FD7A8D6.jpeg

wooohoooooo Bronwyn, love it'll....my last one was called Dusty because she never got dusted when the steward cleaned....

• Haha 1

Just sitting at the airport - champagne in hand for my flight to SFO and the QV.- she arrives in about 11 hours. Ive started the blog again for anyone interested, I don't know how the internet will fair so not sure that I will be able to regularly post on here,  but I am grateful to be able to pick up some of the sectors after all after cancelling the World this year. Covid be damned!

blog address here - knock yourself out for what its worth.

regards

Roscoe

butarewethereyet.blogspot.com

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, roscoe39 said:

Just sitting at the airport - champagne in hand for my flight to SFO and the QV.- she arrives in about 11 hours. Ive started the blog again for anyone interested, I don't know how the internet will fair so not sure that I will be able to regularly post on here,  but I am grateful to be able to pick up some of the sectors after all after cancelling the World this year. Covid be damned!

blog address here - knock yourself out for what its worth.

regards

Roscoe

butarewethereyet.blogspot.com

I am so excited for you! Deirdre and Kim are looking forward to seeing you on board 🙂

WELL, DADDIES HOME! and...its great to be back. The ship is still gorgeous, and there are still lots of the old faces still here, crew, and passengers. 1500 doing the full world and 400 got on yesterday in SF, some of which are doing the full 74 days back to Southampton. Sadly I am not one of them.

Covid restrictions removed the day before she got into the Bay, I wonder if they will come back in about 4 days, time will tell. 

The new carpets are very nice, the awful fade style in the companion ways have been replaced with a much nicer dseign and the star cases replaced from the old yellow style.

Not a fan of freedom dining, and the fixed tables are upstairs which is not my favourite part of the dining room. the grander room is being wasted in my opinion.

It was a long hour long process to get onboard, of all the 12 stations they were all jammed with people who did not have NZ visas and were objecting to being told that they could not board without them. Surprising as even I who had booked this trip ten days ago had an email from Cunard reminding me if I need one to get one however there was a number of people who didn't seem to think that this included them. They were sent over to the other side of the room eventually and told to get on their phones or tablets and apply or not board. Finally the lines began moving but the staff behind the counters were obviously fed up with having to repeat over and over than no....they did need one.

Food last night was lovely but a far reduced menu. Wifi takes a bit to get your head around, but all in all.....it's so good to be back.

Blog being updated.

• Like 8

Bon Voyage Dahling Roscoe.....

Son at last all is well with the world(or at least the bubbled world you & I live in,,, obviously not together but on opposite sides of the globe)

Most importantly of all / more than # of life boats or if the Astors are onboard...HOW MANY PAIRS OF SHOES DID YOU PACK???

Have an absolutely faboo voayage - I know the other passengers, crew & Captain will now that you are once again onboard!!!

Champagne for everyone....Well hello Roscoe, yes hello Roscoe...its so nice to have you back where you belong.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Bon Voyage Dahling Roscoe.....

Son at last all is well with the world(or at least the bubbled world you & I live in,,, obviously not together but on opposite sides of the globe)

Most importantly of all / more than # of life boats or if the Astors are onboard...HOW MANY PAIRS OF SHOES DID YOU PACK???

Have an absolutely faboo voayage - I know the other passengers, crew & Captain will now that you are once again onboard!!!

Champagne for everyone....Well hello Roscoe, yes hello Roscoe...its so nice to have you back where you belong.....

in answer to your question I packed 11 and bought two pairs in SF........ an amazing Smoking jacket and matching shoes was my pride and blew the budget......but thanks for your concern!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 9:10 AM, Pear Carr said:

https://www.theworldvoyageqm2.com/

Following, however, not impressed so far.  Not enough information/detail with regard to the onboard atmosphere and daily experience of a world cruiser - bars, dining, guest speakers, interesting shipmates and characters. As someone who would like to take a world cruise in the not too distant future this blog is not setting the scene for me.  I can search for factual tourist information on Google.  

Yes disappointing so far. Hopefully blog will improve.  

Hi, Since we last updated, we had nearly a week just before and just after Dubai where we were asked to wear masks in public areas. Thankfully this was relaxed yesterday as the number of virus cases has significantly reduced and a load cheer went up as this was announced in the midday announcement by the captain. The staff were the first to cheer and discard their masks 😷 

we were docked at the new cruise terminal at the base of the Palm in Dubai with pretty stunning views of the skyline but unfortunately now a long way from where QE2 is docked.

For this leg of the trip the world cruise cocktail party was held in the open on deck 12. Once again it felt Cunard made a real effort to make the event special with the ice sculptures, the chef cooking stations and best of all a chocolate station !

it was also our first opportunity to meet the new captain on board, Captain Andrew Hall. His noon announcements are not quite as much fun as Captain Hashmi but is much more visible around the ship during the day and evening and his happy to chat with guests.

We don't want to start a dress code thread but just to let you know that most people are complying with the new dress code and most men are in jackets in the evening.  As usual there are some that don't comply, most notably a lady dancing in the queens room one evening in ripped jeans!!!!!!!!!!  We lost a scheduled gala night earlier this week with no explanation but we have a roaring 20 s night tonight which should be great fun and already we can see lots of guests ready for evening dinner that are dressed up. Such a lovely sight.

We had a long chat with Declan one night in his new role as Assistant Entertainment director and he explained that they are trying something new in the Queens room with the orchestra finishing at 11pm and a different late night act coming on afterwards in an effort to appeal to more people than those who just like to dance. We went to a late night cabaret there with Bernie Flint where there were chairs and tables set out on the dance floor which was a great show but unfortunately  not well attended as it didn't start until after 11pm but we thoroughly enjoyed it ourselves.  Although there is a reduced menu, the food is still being of a great standard and perhaps even better than we remember from previous trips. The last 4 nights the clocks have moved forward one hour proving challenging as we are approaching Malaysia. Hopefully we won't lose any more time for the next couple of weeks or so. It may be a real technological challenge on board tomorrow as everyone has to complete an online entry form for Singapore. We hope people are patient and go easy on the pursers desk and the concierge!

EC846471-4092-40A8-8316-C9BD8D718C25.jpeg

7A0FC74A-C5CA-49D6-83F4-8B85AAEBBE14.jpeg

C1D64B5E-3DE2-4DA5-93FB-C756C464472C.jpeg

100FCB2F-D811-40B7-B89A-43A70B35F0FB.jpeg

• Like 7

just updating blog now, I have to say the ship is looking beautiful. They are continuously painting somewhere on the ship all the time. She is sparkling. Inside I was up at 5 this morning as the night workers were finishing off and I was very proud on how she looked, all of the surfaces such as the bannisters and rails were positively wet in sanitiser. There is a little covid on board, suspiciously my next door cabin mates have had a "do not disturb" sign on their door since I boarded and have a suspicious amount of "in room dining".  There are obvious cutbacks but to be honest the industry has suffered a major hit and if they cut back things like no conditioner in the bathrooms and spa and a reduced menu it's better than the alternative. The quality of the dress code in the evening has definitely gone down, all the more reason to pull out a sparkly jacket. There also does not seem to be as much music around the ship as there used to be and more recorded music. There is a couple of parties coming up that have not been announced as they are taking things day by day. The covid restrictions were removed the day before we got into SF and I guess they are looking at what happens after SF and if there is a spike. Can't remember if I have said there are 1500 Wcers, and 1800 onboard.They are still not doing 100% capacity and still keeping aside isolation staterooms but only moving people if they are in the insides.

Weather today calm(ish) overcast but def getting warmer. Can't wait to see the pool alive and shining with bikinis and speedos. Though I might have to have my eyes checked.

• Like 7

Thank you Roscoe and Crofters for taking the time to entertain and update us armchair travellers! I know that Roscoe is a seasoned World cruiser - particularly on the QV, but can I ask if this is your first World cruise Crofters and if so are you enjoying being onboard and is it living up to expectations? Asking as one who is seriously considering a WC in the next couple of years.