Royal Caribbean Ovation Jan 24 2023 to New Zealand

On 1/8/2023 at 9:17 AM, AusTravelller said:

I’m a first time contributor looking forward to an upcoming cruise with RCI and happy to share the experience. Looking forward to posting from Jan 24 2023. A7FD78DA-8E55-401F-8C12-B222AD001303.thumb.png.b4be1ec6de77d1d984b28d27e94f6bc4.png

Welcome to cruise critic.

We have a thing called a roll call ,its the people on the cruise and I am one of them.

Drop in and say hello.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 2

Good luck we will never use ovation again after our back to cruuses from 14/12/22 to 14/1/23 customer service was the worst, Bolaros was great and cabin attendant good guest services was rubbish also trying to get served on the atrium bar was a task unless you were 18 and in a bikini.there app for on board texting never worked you would get hit for 2 diamond vouchers for 1 drink the list goes on I e en handed my loyalty pins in it was that bad hope you have a better time.

10 hours ago, Michael61 said:

Good luck we will never use ovation again after our back to cruuses from 14/12/22 to 14/1/23 customer service was the worst, Bolaros was great and cabin attendant good guest services was rubbish also trying to get served on the atrium bar was a task unless you were 18 and in a bikini.there app for on board texting never worked you would get hit for 2 diamond vouchers for 1 drink the list goes on I e en handed my loyalty pins in it was that bad hope you have a better time.

Sorry you had a poor experience. I hope your future travels are more enjoyable. 

22 hours ago, Michael61 said:

I e en handed my loyalty pins in it was that bad hope you have a better time.

I'm sorry you disliked your cruise so much you handed in your pins.

Nothing of what you mentioned would be a deal breaker for me. each to his/her own i suppose.

I(Diamond)had to got guest services twice to ensure the correct credit card was being used.

They kept trying to use the card i booked the cruise with 18 months ago that had expired.

I though to myself, hey I am on a $1b dollar cruise ship cruising around NZ with great weather.

Not really much to complain about for me, 20 mins out of a 12 night cruise,

First World problems?

Cheers
CS

Edited by NumnuT_OZ
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, NumnuT_OZ said:

I'm sorry you disliked your cruise so much you handed in your pins.

Nothing of what you mentioned would be a deal breaker for me. each to his/her own i suppose.

I(Diamond)had to got guest services twice to ensure the correct credit card was being used.

They kept trying to use the card i booked the cruise with 18 months ago that had expired.

I though to myself, hey I am on a $1b dollar cruise ship cruising around NZ with great weather.

Not really much to complain about for me, 20 mins out of a 12 night cruise,

First World problems?

Cheers
CS

The world is trying to get back on its feet ,a shortage of everything especially skilled staff.

In the big picture , I thought it was pretty trivial . 
We will get back.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The world is trying to get back on its feet ,a shortage of everything especially skilled staff.

In the big picture , I thought it was pretty trivial . 
We will get back.

OK for you.

You wear your bikini 😂

I agree. There is an element of that everywhere, including most ships. Cruising in general isn't quite what it was in 2019, so you may as well remain loyal to what you have enjoyed in the past in the hope that it returns someday soon.

I nearly took a bite at one of Quantum's loft suites yesterday, but then got very much sidetracked with Carnival Lumnosa's prices - I could do a month in one of their Ocean suites for the same dollars as 4 nights in a Sky Loft.

To the OP, keep an open mind. I look forward to your posts in a couple of weeks time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

OK for you.

You wear your bikini 😂

I agree. There is an element of that everywhere, including most ships. Cruising in general isn't quite what it was in 2019, so you may as well remain loyal to what you have enjoyed in the past in the hope that it returns someday soon.

I nearly took a bite at one of Quantum's loft suites yesterday, but then got very much sidetracked with Carnival Lumnosa's prices - I could do a month in one of their Ocean suites for the same dollars as 4 nights in a Sky Loft.

To the OP, keep an open mind. I look forward to your posts in a couple of weeks time.

Those luminosa cheapies are very enticing aren't they. Shame we have to get to brisbane to cruise there 

Doing a quantum cruise with the kids early next month so will see how bad the flying and extra travel affects the experience.

4 minutes ago, kaseyoz said:

Those luminosa cheapies are very enticing aren't they. Shame we have to get to brisbane to cruise there 

Doing a quantum cruise with the kids early next month so will see how bad the flying and extra travel affects the experience.

Indeed Karon. I was going to do the first cruise on Luminosa until it worked out the return flight from Williamtown was more expensive than 7 nights solo in a balcony.

1 hour ago, kaseyoz said:

You're only flying from Sydney?? Harden up sunshine lol! 

• Haha 2

@AusTravelllerwill be interested to see if the new menus are in place for your cruise - there is to be a dinner theme for each night (French, Mexican, Caribbean etc), with a Chef's recommendation for 3 courses on each of the themes - regular dishes will also be offered. I read a few days ago on a FB page "New Menus will be on all Royals ships by February", so maybe in time for your cruise?? And should certainly be for us on 11-Mar. If not, I'm sure we will find something to eat 🙂 

22 minutes ago, mr walker said:

@AusTravelllerwill be interested to see if the new menus are in place for your cruise - there is to be a dinner theme for each night (French, Mexican, Caribbean etc), with a Chef's recommendation for 3 courses on each of the themes - regular dishes will also be offered. I read a few days ago on a FB page "New Menus will be on all Royals ships by February", so maybe in time for your cruise?? And should certainly be for us on 11-Mar. If not, I'm sure we will find something to eat 🙂 

The Food Jammer will be available Neil.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mr walker said:

@mr walkeri think I read about that too. I know my travel partners will be interested to experience a culinary journey around the world! And we’ll definitely share pics of menus. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, Michael61 said:

Amazing how different people have different experiences. 

Could not fault anything on royals side of things, apart from the paid for internet which is why I just cancelled the 2nd leg and received a 50% refund on the first leg.

The texting app worked perfectly fine for me and my family all the time.

Yes it was busy but never had a problem getting a drink and I tried all bars. Sure you may have had to wait a minute or 2 but why are people fine with this on land but get so impatient at sea.

Only visited guest services 2 times, once because of an incorrect drink charge and once because they had allocated me self assist luggage which o had not asked for. Fixed instantly without question both times and in a matter of minutes.

While it was obvious there were a lot of newish staff and there could have been a few more, they all bent over backwards and a little patience is all that is required. This again is not unique in the world, why should it be any different on a ship.

We had MTD for the 3 weeks and ate in the dining room most nights. We always made a reservation and only once or twice did we wait more than a few minutes to be seated. The majority of the food was of high quality and was always hot. We rarely do speciality dining but has a special occasion dinner at Jamie's which was excellent and did Wonderland which some enjoyed and some didn't. 

We only visited windjammer for a couple of lunches or breakfasts mainly because we were never that hungry. But we found seats easily when we did and was plenty on offer.

We basically ate small offerings from cafe 270 for brunch most days and the same for lunch mixed in with plenty of sorrentos and fish and ships which do some great chips. Always piping hot and fresh. 

We all found the customer service in the ship to be as good as ever and spent a great deal of time talking with the staff.

The main issue on these 2 cruises has been the fellow passengers. Ideally this would not be the time of year I would pick but with the wife being a teacher it makes it hard.

There were a lot of kids (which I have no problem with) of varying ages and it's interesting to break down where the issues lie.

The little ones up to 10 or so are mostly no problem, either with the parents doing activities or at adventure ocean. The teens from 14-17 or so are mostly fine too, most playing sports, relaxing together being cool and with it very hard for them to get a drink into them don't make trouble. It's the age range in the middle that seemed to be the trouble. They have newfound freedoms and could be found constantly running through the ship, up hallways, ringing doorbells, pressing every button in the lifts and getting out, and getting food from wherever and just leaving it everywhere. 

The 2nd cruise in particular, guessing destination the greater factor, had many more larger groups and many more groups of 18-25 year Olds. Some of which were fine of course but there were a number who were obnoxious and most nights drunk and not able to be happy about it. Agressive, rude to other passengers and quite often staff. Some artwork was damaged and a few fights as well. I enjoy the drink package and get my money's worth most cruises but I don't go in with the aim of getting blind drunk every night.

There is still no other line that suits me better but will be choosing dates and destinations a little more clearly in future.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2023 at 11:49 AM, NSWP said:

The Food Jammer will be available Neil.

Yes, Les, we will certainly utilise the buffet. I look forward to my made-to-order omelets for breakfast 🙂 We mostly have brekkie & lunch in the Jammer, or sometimes we combine the two & make it brunch in the dining room on sea days when it's offered. We normally have dinner in the dining room, but have been known to visit the buffet when we just want a casual dinner.

Hope all's going well for you mate. Cheers Neil & Tracey 

On 1/11/2023 at 5:54 PM, Over from NZ said:

You're only flying from Sydney?? Harden up sunshine lol! 

Not just the flight time cost but extra night in a hotel, shuttle from hotel to ship, shuttle to airport. Shuttle airport home.

i can get to OPT for $2.50. ( Seniors)

yesterday left home at 10 am and was onboard by 1115 am.

• Like 2