Carry-on Soda

RumpunchGirl

I haven't does this for awhile so I want to know how you bring your allowed 12 pack of soda on board.  Do you put it in the carry-on bag? Or do you simply carry it in your hand? If you're traveling with your spouse, do you each have to carry you own? I hope this does sound stupid, just trying to be prepared. FYI: we're on Panorama leaving out of Long Beach if that makes a difference. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, RumpunchGirl said:

I haven't does this for awhile so I want to know how you bring your allowed 12 pack of soda on board.  Do you put it in the carry-on bag? Or do you simply carry it in your hand? If you're traveling with your spouse, do you each have to carry you own? I hope this does sound stupid, just trying to be prepared. FYI: we're on Panorama leaving out of Long Beach if that makes a difference. Thanks!

I haven't done it but I see lots of people just carrying it in their hands or balanced or strapped on top of their roll on. Im sure plenty are also carrying it inside totes, backpacks, and carry ons. Guess whatever is comfortable for you will work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RumpunchGirl said:

Carnival has a faq section.

Carry it or bag it everything gets scanned or checked. 

Doesn't matter who carries it.

We sail often from Long Beach.

We use one of these sturdy paper Ralph Lauren bags with handles from the outlet store in Carlsbad. It is the perfect size and two 12 packs can fit in it one atop the other.

Picture 1 of 2

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You carry it on board.  It can be in a bag, but must be carried on board.  Last February, we inadvertently gave the porter our bag containing two 12 packs of soda and while it was delivered to our room, it had a red zip tie and an inventory control card saying our property had been seized and could be claimed at Long Beach on the return (but they didn’t seize it in the end so we got lucky).

Each person does not have to carry their own and Long Beach is liberal in its allowance (two people could get away brining four 12packs).  Alternatively, soda is cheap in Mexico… there’s a Walmart across from the port in PV to stock up at.

I brought canned sparkling water onboard in October and just had it in a tote bag, along with 2 bottles of wine (1 for each of us in the room). No problems with mine, but others around us I guess were randomly stopped to check inside the cartons and bags.

30 minutes ago, RumpunchGirl said:

Thanks everyone for you replies.  I have read Carnivals website and it says soda has to be in your carry-on.  I'm glad to hear you can bring it on in a sturdy pager bag or just any extra carry -on.

Taking things that literal must lead to many many weird situations.

A carry on is what you carry on. My airline lists a carry-on as something carried on and can fit under the seat

3 hours ago, mmtska said:

I have a soft sided cooler that holds 24 cans. Since there are 2 of us, it works out perfectly. I just throw the handle around my carry on. 

Oh this is perfect!  I could fit this in my checked bag while flying and then fill it when I get to the port city.  Thank you!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

Oh this is perfect!  I could fit this in my checked bag while flying and then fill it when I get to the port city.  Thank you!

Sure! We just looked on Amazon for a decent (and cheap) one. I love it. 

18 hours ago, VIFP1987 said:

I bring a small carry on roller bag and put all of our soda in it. Much easier than trying to carry it. 

We did the same thing on our last cruise.  I was able to fit (2) 12-packs of Diet Coke and (2) bottles of wine in our small roller bag carry on.  Had no issues with security.

• Like 1

I use this:

sp129820031_sc7?wid=1536&hei=1536

https://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/sp129820031_sc7?wid=1536&hei=1536

...for  my family's sodas, sparkling waters, soy milks, and Red Bulls.  It also helps to carry any extra souvenirs, etc. that we might buy on the cruise and don't have space for in our luggage.  It was also very helpful to carry school donations to the DR on our last cruise.  And I use it to take DD's teachers' classroom supplies into school on back-to-school night each year.  If I was only going to use it to carry sodas onto a cruise, I probably wouldn't have bothered buying it.  But I'm glad I did.  I find more uses for it the longer I have it.  It's lightweight and collapsible, so it can be packed into a suitcase on our way home, if we don't need it to carry anything on disembark.

• Like 1

I love all the helpful suggestions. I have been cruising for over 20 yrs but the last time was before covid hit. Things have changed a bit so thanks for all your ideas.  It is really nice to know what to expect. I am so excited to be sailing once again!

We have sailed Carnival Radiance three times in past year and only one out of three rimes did “refrigerator” actually cool. So we bring a small cooler that has a hard insert and put ice in it with cans and then inside refrig. It keeps ice from melting all over or sweating on counter. 

- Bring covered tumblers for drinks. Especially if a coffee drinker. Ships mugs and cups ro hard ro handle when balancing food. 

- Also it helps to cover drains in bathroom to prevent any inadvertent sewer gas- shower flower and by toilet. We use kleenex box or small towel. 
- Bring an old key card from hotel etc. to put in slot by entry to keep cabin lights on, otherwise it requires cabin sign n’sail card.. 

- chicken place is really good, bbq place not so great. 

- deli also makes omelets during breakfast hours besides the lido lines for omelets. (chicken place also makes cheese only omelets I read)

-we brought small bags of tortilla chips and kept some of Iguana Bar salsa aside in cabin for late night salty snack.

- Catalina Island has a small Vons supermarket if forgot anything- including alcohol - ahem. 😉

Questions on Carnival Radiance just ask. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

- Also it helps to cover drains in bathroom to prevent any inadvertent sewer gas-

All drains have a trap to prevent gas from flowing backwards (just like the trap under your sink at home).  So long as there's water in those traps no gas can get back into your bathroom   I've heard that the trap for the floor drain (located behind the toilet) can sometimes dry out and if that happens you'll get 'the smell'.  Just pour a couple cups of water down that floor drain to ensure the trap has water in it and you won't have to worry about covering it.

• Like 2

We carry cans of soda on with us every cruise. Last November boarding the Vista, I had loose cans in both my carry on and my backpack...and security let my bags roll right on thru without checking them. This last week...boarding the Dream...same amount of cans...same bags...they made me take out EVERY can to check them. Both times in Galveston. Next time, I'm putting them in a separate bag by themselves.