Transatlantic Voyages on Carnival?

jules815

My husband and I are newly retired and now have more time to cruise. There's a 15-day from Barcelona to NY that's caught my eye. I understand these are older, smaller ships, and no problem with that. 

We've done one TA, bringing RC Harmony of the Seas to America for the first time back in 2016. It was one of our favorite cruises. LOVE those sea days. I've been looking at TA's on all different lines and curious if the on board experience is about the same. Does Carnival have daily lectures on all those sea days, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

I've done two TAs with Carnival in 2022 and the second one had a few lectures during the day but the first one had none. I was a bit bummed about the topics myself but I know others loved them. I was hoping they would be travel related but they were topics such as how to stay safe online, taking better photos with a cell phone etc. On Holland America they had the history of ocean liners, the history of Pan American and TWA, the history of the different cruise lines etc.

One thing that Carnival does well on their TAs is they have throwback sea days. They bring a lot of the activities back from the "good ole days" of cruising. Pool deck activities, Captain's reception etc. Those can be a lot of fun. 

I'm booked on the TA that you are looking at and it should be fun and somewhat special since it will be the first cruise of the Carnival Venezia after transferring from Costa. It is Carnival with a twist of Italian style. Take a look at video tours of the Costa Venezia online. This ship is a great class of ship and is only a few years old.

Depending on what you like to do some areas will def be a downgrade from Harmony of the Seas such as the solarium and as many different outdoor neighborhoods to walk through. The Venezia will have a much better outdoor promenade deck than Harmony has with a lot of comfortable seating areas that provide both sun and shaded areas which I think is a big perk. Unlike Harmony these are also 100% non-obstructed views. 

Edited by ohioNCLcruiser

3 minutes ago, jules815 said:

My husband and I are newly retired and now have more time to cruise. There's a 15-day from Barcelona to NY that's caught my eye. I understand these are older, smaller ships, and no problem with that. 

We've done one TA, bringing RC Harmony of the Seas to America for the first time back in 2016. It was one of our favorite cruises. LOVE those sea days. I've been looking at TA's on all different lines and curious if the on board experience is about the same. Does Carnival have daily lectures on all those sea days, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Not all Carnival ships are old and small. Your ship (if it is to NY) is brand new to Carnival, and was built for Costa in 2019.

I am pretty sure that there are those lectures, but someone will be able to confirm

26 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Not all Carnival ships are old and small. Your ship (if it is to NY) is brand new to Carnival, and was built for Costa in 2019.

I am pretty sure that there are those lectures, but someone will be able to confirm

It's the Venezia. Didn't recognize the name so assumed it was one of their older, smaller ships. If this is a newer ship, then that's a bonus.  Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Thanks in advance.

Unless it's designated a Journeys cruise there most likely be very few or non at all. We were planning our bucket list transatlantic cruise and land vacation from London on the  Jubilee but it got cancelled. A bummer. We also got Mardi Gras first two US sailings cancelled. Looks like the cruise gods don't want us to try the excel class ship. As for the smaller ships they are our favorite, sailed quite a few including 3 times on the Miracle with another coming up this April.

All of Carnival's Transatlantic cruises currently selling (including that one) are designated Journey cruises and there will be lectures on sea days. Some might be more interesting than others.

Academy of Fun

A mind forever voyaging brings its bearer infinite returns. What we’re saying is, give your mind a little treat — take it on a Carnival Journeys cruise! Since a relaxing vacation doesn’t have to mean switching off completely, Carnival Journeys includes all-expenses-paid scholarship to the Academy of Fun, an enriching series of onboard courses designed to help expand your horizons. Look beyond the horizon and see stars as one of the ship’s officers walks you through the historical art and science of celestial navigation — how mariners navigated the seas long before radar and GPS. For something more twenty-first century, try a #fun class in social media, or a photography 101 course that’ll teach you how to take photos beyond just pointing and shooting. (These are just a few of the courses we’ve offered in the past, but you never know what we’ll be offering on your Carnival Journeys cruise!)

• Like 1

No don’t do it. A transatlantic voyage is going to be very different than a cruise to the Bahamas etc. Out in the big ocean you’ve got the potential, and most likely, huge swells and rough cold seas. You aren’t likely to be spending much time outside and better hope you don’t easily become seasick lol. I was in the navy and have made several trips across the ocean, it’s not that fun. Yes you can have nice smooth seas but it’s not likely and it’s definitely going to be cold/cool depending on the route taken. I’d rather fly to Europe and do a nice Mediterranean cruise instead. 

6 hours ago, David_Dian said:

No don’t do it. A transatlantic voyage is going to be very different than a cruise to the Bahamas etc. Out in the big ocean you’ve got the potential, and most likely, huge swells and rough cold seas. You aren’t likely to be spending much time outside and better hope you don’t easily become seasick lol. I was in the navy and have made several trips across the ocean, it’s not that fun. Yes you can have nice smooth seas but it’s not likely and it’s definitely going to be cold/cool depending on the route taken. I’d rather fly to Europe and do a nice Mediterranean cruise instead. 

Several TransAtlantics now and smooth sailing every time. Stabilizers have made it so…

On 1/9/2023 at 9:23 AM, skrufy said:

Unless it's designated a Journeys cruise there most likely be very few or non at all. We were planning our bucket list transatlantic cruise and land vacation from London on the  Jubilee but it got cancelled. A bummer. We also got Mardi Gras first two US sailings cancelled. Looks like the cruise gods don't want us to try the excel class ship. As for the smaller ships they are our favorite, sailed quite a few including 3 times on the Miracle with another coming up this April.

The TA that the OP is chatting about is a Journies cruise. 

The Miracle is a great ship. I sailed get twice last year in an Aft suite and booked her again for a sailing over Labor Day weekend. I love that ship and love sailing out of San Francisco!!