Pre-purchasing Internet Plan

magictam

I’m sailing  April 3rd for 14 days through the Panama Canal. The only thing offered on HAL’s website is the premium Internet plan for 175.99. I don’t need nor want the premium plan.

Are the other plans no longer available? I am aware that you can use the Navigator app to communicate between cabin mates on the ship . But I only use the basic plan so I can get a Facebook to communicate with my children and family at home.. well cuisine I don’t want or need to have access to my emails are stream movies or anything of that nature. 
Thanks for any insight or advice. 

1 minute ago, magictam said:

I’m sailing  April 3rd for 14 days through the Panama Canal. The only thing offered on HAL’s website is the premium Internet plan for 175.99. I don’t need nor want the premium plan.

Are the other plans no longer available? I am aware that you can use the Navigator app to communicate between cabin mates on the ship . But I only use the basic plan so I can get a Facebook to communicate with my children and family at home.. well cuisine I don’t want or need to have access to my emails are stream movies or anything of that nature. 

There are cheaper plan available when you board and login for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, magictam said:

The premium plan is the only one available for pre-purchase, and it is 20% off... Making it just slightly more than Surf level bought on board. But if you have everything you need need with Social plan, you can save some money. Also buying on board will use OBC if you have some, while pre-purchase is paid for at the time. 

Note that the internet is the same (same speed), only fewer sites and apps are blocked for the higher levels, and a higher data cap per day, I believe. 

• Thanks 1

I just got off the NA (7 day Caribbean), and they had 3 tiers of wifi offered.  The most basic was "Social," which let you text and go on social media sites.  That cost $70.  The middle level was "Surf" which also included checking email and visiting websites.  That cost $100.  The top tier was the Premium, which cost $140.  My guess would be these would be more expensive for your 14 day trip, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what was available.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 8:39 PM, mebruch67 said:

I just got off the NA (7 day Caribbean), and they had 3 tiers of wifi offered.  The most basic was "Social," which let you text and go on social media sites.  That cost $70.  The middle level was "Surf" which also included checking email and visiting websites.  That cost $100.  The top tier was the Premium, which cost $140.  My guess would be these would be more expensive for your 14 day trip, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what was available.

This is helpful.  Thank you.  For my 16 day in May I pre-purchased the Premium for $199.99.

• Like 1

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

24 day Mexico Hawaii cruise got off 1/31. We got onboard and upgraded that day for 70.00 Premium. Wait till onboard! Ridiculous to pay those high fees prior to cruise. We were happy

especially we both were on at the same time. Never had a problem. Was surprised since with the HIA WiFi only one person at a time.

🌺Denise

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

24 day Mexico Hawaii cruise got off 1/31. We got onboard and upgraded that day for 70.00 Premium. Wait till onboard! Ridiculous to pay those high fees prior to cruise. We were happy

especially we both were on at the same time. Never had a problem. Was surprised since with the HIA WiFi only one person at a time.

🌺Denise

Hi Denise,

This is a good idea if one has HIA.  We do not have HIA on our cruise.

2 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Hi Denise,

This is a good idea if one has HIA.  We do not have HIA on our cruise.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Got it! You know it still seems a lot. I wonder if you can with HAL or your PCC (TA) just to check if possible you can purchase on board for less. Just a thought!

Enjoy your cruise

🌺Denise

20 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Got it! You know it still seems a lot. I wonder if you can with HAL or your PCC (TA) just to check if possible you can purchase on board for less. Just a thought!

Enjoy your cruise

🌺Denise

Thank you.  I will work on this.  Perhaps at the end of the World Cruise I will ask Pete to see what he can find out.  We board as the World Cruise disembarks.

For what it’s worth, in their Nieuw Statendam video on YouTube, EECC Travels said that the price for internet on her cruise dropped significantly on her cruise on the 2nd day. (Yes, factoring in the missed day),  I have no idea whether that’s true across the fleet, but wanted to pass it along. 

• Thanks 1

From what I have seen the premium package, which is the only pre-purchase option, is discounted 20% off the onboard price.  If you can live with the surf package you can buy it onboard and save a little money. 

5* Mariners will save 10% on internet purchased onboard too (discount is not extended to those who pre-purchase the premium package as they claim this one is already discounted). 

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

HIA bookings are now giving premium wifi as part of the package. So check what you have booked (if you have HIA) to be sure it is not premium.

I haven't heard of this and just checked the website which still shows standard HIA as coming with surf.  Only the "Bonus" early booking HIA gets an upgrade.

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

I haven't heard of this and just checked the website which still shows standard HIA as coming with surf.  Only the "Bonus" early booking HIA gets an upgrade.

Yes I think Premium Internet and Elite BP -- that I got for July/August 2024 -- were because it was Early Booking Bonus (along with some OBC). Not across all HIA offerings.

That reminds me, I need to update my Signature!

5 hours ago, DRedmond said:

We have the HIA package.  Are there any minute restriction per day or in its entirety?

There are data caps according to the level of the package. I don't know what they are, but if you have the standard Surf (middle level) that has been included with HIA, you will not be able to download most Kindle books, for example; I was able to DL one "thought for the day" book and that was all. We spent an hour or so on the Flip Day of our B2B in San Diego at a Gelato place that had wifi and got enough books for the second leg.

59 minutes ago, SeaCapt said:

For our 24-day in July, they are offering the Premium internet for $240, or $10/day, if pre-purchased, which is half off the regular price.

I believe you are confusing the daily price onboard of $20 to the package price onboard, which I believe is $299, so, again, you save 20% by prebooking but it's not 50% unless you were to pay by the day for all 24 days (and why would you do that?).

Edited by Real NHDOC