How do you view menus for the week once onboard?

tjcruiser

First time Princess cruiser, will be on the Sky next week.  When we board, we want to pick our nights for specialty dining but it would be helpful to know dining room menus for the entire week to help us decide.  Can we see the weeks menus in the app once we board?  If not, what options do we have to see the weeks menus right when we board?

Also, reservations on the app are currently in limited supply for the steak house.  Do they open up more reservations via the app right when the cruise starts or do I need to speak with someone for better availability?

We sailed on the Sky for her inaugural in December 2019. As I recall the daily menu showed up around midafternoon in the World Fresh Marketplace near the elevators and it was posted at the main entrance of the MDR.

The menus are available in the app for the whole cruise if you make a reservation for a main dining room (view under each day’s reservation). Note the exact details of all preparations are not accurate (sauce, side dish) but the basics are misty correct.

I’m not sure if there is also a way to view them without a reservation and also not sure if they show up before sailing day. 

Princess has been limiting specialty dining reservations because of staffing so it’s best to reserve before sailing or by the first evening at the latest. We avoid booking these on formal nights when the MDR menu is better. 

Edited by EconDoc

In my experience...they always hold back some seating in the specialty restaurants.  So if you cannot get anything booked via the app just wait until on board and call the dine line or actually swing by the restaurant in question.  Very often (not always) you will find someone there near the podium (even while closed) that can help you.

• Like 1

we will be on the Discovery January 28.  I wanted to make specialty dining reservations but we have 300.00 OBC and you can't use that when making reservations before the cruise.  Any suggestions?  I also would like to know what night is th formal night.  I am guessing that on our Mexican cruise it would be the first sea day as getting back from Cabo is 8 pm and other ports returning to ship 5 or 6 pm.? 

Be very careful and manage your expectations for upcoming MDR meals. 

We've found that even the daily menus presented on the in-cabin TVs do not always match what is actually on the menus at mealtime.  They are always close but it's not the least bit unusual to have one or two selections replaced by something else entirely. 

In the medallion app on your phone, once on the ship, you can view the menus for all nights of the cruise by switching days.  

They don't always match exactly what the choices are, but gives you a good idea of what the menu will be like. 

2 hours ago, Catherine Claus said:

we will be on the Discovery January 28.  I wanted to make specialty dining reservations but we have 300.00 OBC and you can't use that when making reservations before the cruise.  Any suggestions?  I also would like to know what night is th formal night.  I am guessing that on our Mexican cruise it would be the first sea day as getting back from Cabo is 8 pm and other ports returning to ship 5 or 6 pm.? 

On the 7 day Mexican Riveria formal nights will be the first sea day and the second to last sea day (if going Cabo-Mazatlan-PV). Basically the same on the reverse itinerary but the second one will be the Cabo departure and labeled dress to impress. 

make specialty reservations through the app or calling dine line as soon as you board. In my experience the popular times are largely gone before sailing and even less popular times get snatched up during the first day. I hear Bistro Sur La Mer is not popular so that may remain available if you want it. Crown Grill and Sabatinis go quickly. 

You can only view that day’s menu. Beware that the dinner menu we saw on our stateroom TV often was slightly off from our actual dining room menu when we’d go to dinner. For instance, we specifically decided to go to the dining room one night for me to have Filet Mignon with Bernaise as per the TV, but then once we saw the paper menu, it said Filet Mignon with Bordelaise, which I don’t eat.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 12:53 PM, tjcruiser said:

First time Princess cruiser, will be on the Sky next week.  When we board, we want to pick our nights for specialty dining but it would be helpful to know dining room menus for the entire week to help us decide.  Can we see the weeks menus in the app once we board?  If not, what options do we have to see the weeks menus right when we board?

Also, reservations on the app are currently in limited supply for the steak house.  Do they open up more reservations via the app right when the cruise starts or do I need to speak with someone for better availability?

On the embarcation afternoon, the maitre'd will be available in one of the dining rooms, to help people with dining issues.

There is usually a hostess to seat people in a line, and a few other folks from dining around.

Just go there, and ask the hostess to see the menus for the entire cruise.

They are usually prepared for this, as lots of people have the same question.

You shouldn't have to wait in line, or even talk the to the maitre d'.

Edited by Roberto256

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

You can only view that day’s menu. Beware that the dinner menu we saw on our stateroom TV often was slightly off from our actual dining room menu when we’d go to dinner. For instance, we specifically decided to go to the dining room one night for me to have Filet Mignon with Bernaise as per the TV, but then once we saw the paper menu, it said Filet Mignon with Bordelaise, which I don’t eat.

We have been able to see the menu for every night in the app starting on boarding day on our last two cruises. Sky in December and on the Island now