Supply and Demand sure can produce interesting scenarios

Ken the cruiser

May I suggest when checking out future cruise prices for a Veranda cabin, you might want to also check the pricing for all categories, both Cruise Only as well as with All Included. I just did a sample test to see what the various category prices were on a randomly selected 10-day Caribbean cruise starting Nov 20, 2023 on the Silhouette. I just thought it was interesting to see cruise fare prices that were cheaper for an Aqua cabin than for either a Veranda or Concierge cabin on this particular cruise. Supply and Demand scenarios sure can produce interesting results.

Inside Cabin

- Cruise Only Fare (pp) = $884

- All Included Fare (pp) = $1759

- Cost for AI = $875 or $87.50 pp/day

Oceanview Cabin

- Cruise Only Fare (pp) = $1031

- All Included Fare (pp) = $1906

Veranda Cabin

- Cruise Only Fare (pp) = $1725

- All Included Fare (pp) = $2600

Concierge Cabin

- Cruise Only Fare (pp) = $1647

- All Included Fare (pp) = $2522

Aqua Cabin

- Cruise Only Fare (pp) = NA

- All Included Fare (pp) = $2375

Sky Suite Cabin

- All Included Fare (pp) = $4434

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Ken the cruiser changed the title to Supply and Demand sure can produce interesting scenarios
2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

May I suggest when checking out future cruise prices for a Veranda cabin, you might want to also check the pricing for all categories, both Cruise Only as well as with All Included. I just did a sample test to see what the various category prices were on a randomly selected 10-day Caribbean cruise starting Nov 20, 2023 on the Silhouette. I just thought it was interesting to see cruise fare prices that were cheaper for an Aqua cabin than for either a Veranda or Concierge cabin on this particular cruise. Supply and Demand scenarios sure can produce interesting results.

Inside Cabin

- Cruise Only Fare (pp) = $884

- All Included Fare (pp) = $1759

Oceanview Cabin

- Cruise Only Fare (pp) = $1031

- All Included Fare (pp) = $1906

Veranda Cabin

- Cruise Only Fare (pp) = $1725

- All Included Fare (pp) = $2600

Concierge Cabin

- Cruise Only Fare (pp) = $1647

- All Included Fare (pp) = $2522

Aqua Cabin

- All Included Fare (pp) = $2375

Sky Suite Cabin

- All Included Fare (pp) = $4434

Very interesting, especially for those who might think they cannot afford a certain cabin price!

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Very interesting, especially for those who might think they cannot afford a certain cabin price!

You should also factor in the daily gratuities of 💲17.50 or 💲18 in Concierge which will be added to the Sail Only Prices. Deducting that from the AI price leaves you 💲70 for WiFi and drinks. If you spend more than that per day go for AI. If you spend less, we would never come close, Sail Only is perfect. Neither is right or wrong and it's great that we now have the choice again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, the penguins said:

You should also factor in the daily gratuities of 💲17.50 or 💲18 in Concierge which will be added to the Sail Only Prices. Deducting that from the AI price leaves you 💲70 for WiFi and drinks. If you spend more than that per day go for AI. If you spend less, we would never come close, Sail Only is perfect. Neither is right or wrong and it's great that we now have the choice again.

Good point. Here's the W-Fi package costs if bought separately:

image.thumb.png.71c9c445bc923f49213fb96087463b34.png

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Good point. Here's the W-Fi package costs if bought separately:

image.thumb.png.71c9c445bc923f49213fb96087463b34.png

Another major factor is your Captains Club Status.

Elite: 2 hours of free drinks a day (limited menu), free lattes, smoothies, bloody Mary, etc at Elite breakfast and 90 minutes free premium WiFi.

Elite+: same 2 hours drinks and breakfast, 240 minutes WiFi plus free speciality coffees, teas and chocolate all day in the Al Bacio, in the MDR  (and some other venues).

As we don't drink alcohol and  have no need for unlimited WiFi the Elite+ benefits make the Simply Sail prices a complete no brainer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the penguins said:

Interesting to note that on our 2025 cruise booked 2 weeks ago we were only paying $45 / day for AI, which made the choice easy.

Checked prices today and it is now $80 / day…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Interesting to note that on our 2025 cruise booked 2 weeks ago we were only paying $45 / day for AI, which made the choice easy.

Why on earth would X sell drinks and internet for 💲28 a day?

A great deal for you but it sounds like another X error. Just like the chaos caused when it got all the costings wrong on a Silhouette cruise and has told passengers they must pay the difference (with a 10% discount on the new price), move to a cheaper cabin or have their bookings cancelled. See the Post headed "Celebrity not honouring prices" for the full saga.

8 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Which ship/itinerary?  Yes, I know the prices have changed, but just wondering...

18 hours ago, the penguins said:

We just did all of that a month ago for a 2025 cruise on Ascent; did not bother with AI for this one.  We usually cruise in suites, but wanted to go without all those things.  We drink very little; not even one per day and are elite+, so thought it would be interesting to change things up a bit, yet cruise the newest ship.  Refundable was very cheap too.  The cheapest I have ever paid for RFD was $60...definitely an error?  So yes, lots to think about when deciding on a cruise, unless you gotta have a suite!  I saved thousands on a MoveUp last fall, calculating my chances and price to do so!  Sometimes the "game" is exciting. Furthermore, extra $$ for OBC if you're a stockholder...lots to think about when booking.  

Edited by Lastdance

Interesting...we just booked an 11 day cruise for next January '24 and the virtual balcony cabin with all included was $100 cheaper than an inside with nothing included when you deduct all the OBC we get (X sale & OBC and TA OBC). Some refundable, some Non but it is all refundable if you know how.  Plus we got a cabin category upgrade for being Elite. 

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Interesting...we just booked an 11 day cruise for next January '24 and the virtual balcony cabin with all included was $100 cheaper than an inside with nothing included when you deduct all the OBC we get (X sale & OBC and TA OBC). Some refundable, some Non but it is all refundable if you know how.  Plus we got a cabin category upgrade for being Elite. 

Which X ships have "virtual balconies"? I thought only Royal had them.

23 hours ago, the penguins said:

See the Post headed "Celebrity not honouring prices" for the full saga.

I’ve been following that thread, and yes, it is possible this one was also a mistake, but easier for them to swallow $400 or so ‘loss’ on the AI, than it was to have their entire suite inventory get booked at a fraction of the real price, so I’m not expecting any attempt to claw this one back. 

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I’ve been following that thread, and yes, it is possible this one was also a mistake, but easier for them to swallow $400 or so ‘loss’ on the AI, than it was to have their entire suite inventory get booked at a fraction of the real price, so I’m not expecting any attempt to claw this one back. 

I'm pretty sure you are right. It still doesn't say much for X's internal control system. It would be so much easier if X adopted the Princess system which just shows the prices per day of the 3 individual elements and the cost if you book all three together. Whereas X's system involves them calculating the individual prices for every cabin grade on every sailing.

We and others made this point to X's Corporate Office when it reviewing the compolsary AI pricing . The response I got was that it was a great idea and very simple which is perhaps why they didn't adopt it.

• Thanks 1