Have propulsion issues been resolved on the Vista?

ronlennon

I realize this is a real problem for people eager for port stops and I feel bad for you.

We are in the Vista in a few weeks and had seriously considered not even getting off the ship. Many times on this route so this time for us is all about relaxation, few decisions and healing . 
That said I really hope they are resolved for the sake of others. 

• Like 1

There is no information to confirm that the issue has been resloved.  That being said, some have noticed that the original itinerary is now available for booking in April.  So, they've either figured it out without having to dock for repairs or they haven't updated the itineraries for those cruises yet.  We are sailing on the Vista in a couple of weeks.

17 minutes ago, tweak89 said:

There is no information to confirm that the issue has been resloved.  That being said, some have noticed that the original itinerary is now available for booking in April......

What changes had been made to Vista's itinerary?

The current itinerary of Roatan, Belize and Cozumel is not the normal one for the ship.  I believe the original itinerary was Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel before the propulsion issues forced the change.  We booked after the change, but folks who booked before and kept their reservation are getting an onboard credit.

Edited by tweak89

1 hour ago, tweak89 said:

The current itinerary of Roatan, Belize and Cozumel is not the normal one for the ship.  I believe the original itinerary was Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel before the propulsion issues forced the change.  We booked after the change, but folks who booked before and kept their reservation are getting an onboard credit.

"Roatan, Belize and Cozumel". That was our itinerary back in late Sept. 2021. It was of course, a 7 day, out of Galveston. Best cruise, IMO, we've ever had. Loved Belize, and Roatan. Cozumel, as usual...

we were on vista last may. We missed half a day in jamaica, totally missed grand cayman, and got full day in cozumel. We got a very small OBC for missing ports.

its scheduled for dry dock next year https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/12/carnival-vista-to-drydock-in-2024/

we hope to never book on it again, in my opinion, carnival knows its messed up and gimps it along to make money until they dry dock it, and if it breaks, too bad. They keep saying unexpected issues, but after years of it happening, how unexpected can it be?

edited to add the cruise before ours went off without a hitch but got in late so i'm pretty sure issue started when they left cozumel back to galveston.  I hope anyone on it has a good cruise. Its just a bummer when you spend 5 out of 7 days at sea..

Edited by jeeperzz

We sail on 2/25. All I know is that we don't arrive at Cozumel until 10am, with a scheduled ashore time of 11 -- Hours later than any other ship in port that day, but we leave at the same time. I can only assume that it is due to propulsion issues and it taking longer to reach Cozumel (our first port stop.) It is definitely wreaking havoc with our usual Cozumel-day plans. =/ 

• Like 1

I sail on her in July and really hope we do not miss Grand Cayman.  We have people that have never been there that I want to experience it.  Do they tell you prior if they are skipping the port?  What if you don't book an excursion through carnival?  Out of luck I would guess.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

We sail on 2/25. All I know is that we don't arrive at Cozumel until 10am, with a scheduled ashore time of 11 -- Hours later than any other ship in port that day, but we leave at the same time. I can only assume that it is due to propulsion issues and it taking longer to reach Cozumel (our first port stop.) It is definitely wreaking havoc with our usual Cozumel-day plans. =/ 

I was on the Dream last week. There were 7 ships in Cozumel the day we were. Vista came in last, and left first. I thought that was odd.

Also on debarkation day, people were getting off our ship before Vista could even get docked 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Caps_Shield said:

I sail on her in July and really hope we do not miss Grand Cayman.  We have people that have never been there that I want to experience it.  Do they tell you prior if they are skipping the port?  What if you don't book an excursion through carnival?  Out of luck I would guess.

I cannot verify that this is always followed, but Carnival supposedly will let you know as soon as the decision is made to skip one of the planned stops.  Sometimes that is before the ship sails, and sometimes it is right at the point that they are to be pulling into the pier or dropping anchor.  Admittedly, Carnival can be too optimistic that it can make its planned itinerary when they are already aware of a mechanical issue.

As for non-Carnival excursions, that is a very valid concern.  The private companies I have used in the Caribbean do not charge if the ship does not port.

• Like 1

When we were on the Liberty they had to change out the itinerary pretty close to the sailing and ended up going to Cozumel and Costa Maya (losing one port and moving another and getting an extra sea day).  We got an onboard credit and they also brought in an apparently (judging from the young female crowd reaction, lol) an up and coming country singer to put on a special concert as part of the compensation.  

• Like 1

We are on the Vista right now.  We have made all three port stops (Roatan, Belize and Cozumel).  We are leaving Coz at 3 PM having arrived at 7:00 AM.  On the southward cruise we had a medical emergency and had to put a pax off to the Mexican Coast Guard at Cancun on the first day at sea.  On the second day at sea we had to made an emergency stop at Cozumel to put off the second medical emergency.  The ship arrived in Roatan one hour late.  I have been watching off and on and the fastest the ship has gone was 18.5 knots.  I would imagine that with the second medical emergency the ship should have sailed faster.  The Vista did arrive in Galveston at 8:00 AM when we boarded.  Which is late possibly due to the engine problems.  They did manage to sail away on time last Saturday.

• Like 1

We did a B2B on Vista in 2022. The Roartan, Belize, Cozumel run is doable. As reported, you may end up leaving Cozumel an hour or so early. The Jamaica, Cayman, Cozumel run was a problem. The ship could not make the required speed to get into MoBay on schedule. I think we were three hours late in arriving. If you are flying into Houston for these cruises, I would book a late departure from the airport at the end of your vacation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Caps_Shield said:

That was why we were disappointed so much as well. I had brought my mom and sis on the cruise for their first cruise. Let’s just say we booked the same cruise in may but out of NOLA on the Glory so we can see it 🙂

Edited by jeeperzz
  • Like 1

Normal top speed should be around 22-23, current speeds are in the 18-19 range.

Because Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel is a longer route the itinerary had been changed to Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

The Vista went into a floating dry dock back in 2019 to correct issues with the azipods and it’s scheduled to go into dry dock again before being transferred to Miami. Hopefully the propulsion issues will be corrected then.

The Panorama is also reported to be having propulsion issues.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dan4182 said:

Normal top speed should be around 22-23, current speeds are in the 18-19 range.

If the ship is doing 18-19 knots, I don't believe this is a "propulsion" problem, they have to be using both pods.  I more suspect this is a "power generation" problem, meaning one of the diesel generators is out of service (likely one of the 2 larger ones), that is limiting the power available to the azipods.

• Like 2

Oooh good to know all of this info. And according to the link above, I am on the last sailing before dry dock which I didn't realize.  We booked for 12/30/23-1/7/24 as I have always wanted to do a New Years Cruise.  We are supposed to head to Aruba, Curacao & Grand Turk.   Should I keep as-is or try and change ships this far in advance? There is another sailing on the Mardi Gras with the same date I could switch to.  Or should I keep as-is?

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 1

Same port, Same exact dates, same promotion. Itinerary isn't as fun ( I think) because I have never sailed to Curacao nor Aruba.  The ports for Mardi Gras I have done many times over.  But I am very interested in the ship.  Conundrum!

But being the very last sailing before a dry dock can be iffy I have read over the years.  Worn out staff, worn out ship, Out of many items.  But nothing recent to back that up. 

• Like 1

We are on the Vista right now.  We made all three ports (Roatan, Belize and Cozumel).  Leaving Coz the ship was going 22+ knots but then dropped back to 19.5 knots which it is doing now as we cross the Gulf arriving tomorrow morning.  This in spite of having to slow down and come near Cancun so that the Mexicans can offload a medical emergency at 7 AM the second day.  Then later at ~noon the ship had to go into port at Coz for another medical emergency.  We still made Roatan but one hour later. Luckily no more medical emergencies after those two.  

• Like 1