First time on HAL!

I think you will love Holland America. DH and I are 4* Mariners on Holland and Diamonds on Carnival, so have lots of experience on both. The Holland ships are much more elegant than the over-the-top 70's decor on the Carnival ships. The food is superior on Holland, the crew is more gracious, the ambiance is more to our liking, and very few kids. We tend to meet more people on Holland ships than we do on Carnival; I guess because we are closer to the Holland demographic than on Carnival these days. Our last few Carnival cruises have been less than satisfactory with the passengers.

We haven't sailed on NCL in many years so can't make any comments about NCL now. Friends of ours who were dedicated Celebrity cruisers now prefer NCL.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

I think you will love Holland America. DH and I are 4* Mariners on Holland and Diamonds on Carnival, so have lots of experience on both. The Holland ships are much more elegant than the over-the-top 70's decor on the Carnival ships. The food is superior on Holland, the crew is more gracious, the ambiance is more to our liking, and very few kids. We tend to meet more people on Holland ships than we do on Carnival; I guess because we are closer to the Holland demographic than on Carnival these days. Our last few Carnival cruises have been less than satisfactory with the passengers.

We haven't sailed on NCL in many years so can't make any comments about NCL now. Friends of ours who were dedicated Celebrity cruisers now prefer NCL.

You summed it up well!

When I first stared cruising, some 20yrs ago, I cruised with CCL often. I guess I liked the rush of activities, noise, and constantly being told I must HAVE FUN onboard!

Then I discovered Celebrity and Holland America and have cruised with them for at least the last 15yrs. I enjoy the quieter atmosphere, the ability to just relax, the upgrade in food and service. I still have "fun" but in my own way, which might sometimes just involve sitting on our balcony and watching the ocean in all its glory and sound.

• Like 4

Welcome to HAL!!  
As was stated, the biggest difference is the ship decor. I see you are sailing on Rotterdam which is a beautiful ship and feels contemporary whilst still classic. Feels lighter and brighter inside than older ships. I’ve never had a bad cruise but Carnival ships I’ve sailed on felt like living inside a pinball machine. Still had a good time but the decor was too loud for my tastes. Their newest ships seem nicer and toned down but I’ve not experience them. 

The crew on HAL has always been wonderful I’m my experience. 

There are more things still included on HAL in non-suite staterooms that have been moved to an up charge (room service) or eliminated (twice daily housekeeping) on CCL and NCL 

• Like 1

I've cruised with the majority of different cruise lines.

It really depends on what "atmosphere" & what activities you like.

HAL has become my preferred Cruise Line.

Pros:  Usually no hordes of noisy kids (unless it's a Holiday or Spring Break)

Ships always clean & pretty much (99%) up-to-date unless close to a Face-Lift Dry Dock

Excellent Crew

Outstanding Food.  (After Covid Re-start - they were having poor food quality on some ships due to their normal suppliers either out of business due to long no Cruise Ship Activity - also alot of new crew member to train - but now if you read different CC members posting - you'll see the Food Quality has returned)

Ships are not too large (get me off the Wonder of the Seas)

Generally older passengers choose HAL - I'm now in my 70's so I really enjoy having other passengers my age to visit with.

No drunk party-animal passengers ----  like I would find on Carnival or NCL-

(Now while I was still in my young 40's you would never catch me on HAL - too tame give me my party-dance till 2 in the morning crowd)

Cons:  While HAL does have some live-band dance music in their Rollingstone Music Venue (formerly known as BBKings) - it's not quite like the many dance bands on RCI, Celebrity, etc.)

The evening Shows in the Main Theatre are not up (in my opinion) to the caliber of the Productions on say RCI's Oasis of the Seas or many of Celebrity's productions. 

My advice:  If you're just looking for a relaxing cruise with low passenger noise.

You want good food, comfortable cabin & bed, Excellent Customer Service, Friendly Staff, aren't looking for a "party crowd" or age group under 65 to be able to visit with - you'll enjoy HAL.

But if you're in your 50's or under, still like to dance to a variety of Live Dance Bands by the Pool, & late into the wee hours of the morning - HAL may not be the Cruise Line for you.

Also if you like high end Las Vegas Magician style shows or Broadway Production Musicals like other lines offer --- again (my opinion) you're not going to find entertainment to that caliber.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

I've cruised with the majority of different cruise lines.

It really depends on what "atmosphere" & what activities you like.

HAL has become my preferred Cruise Line.

Pros:  Usually no hordes of noisy kids (unless it's a Holiday or Spring Break)

Ships always clean & pretty much (99%) up-to-date unless close to a Face-Lift Dry Dock

Excellent Crew

Outstanding Food.  (After Covid Re-start - they were having poor food quality on some ships due to their normal suppliers either out of business due to long no Cruise Ship Activity - also alot of new crew member to train - but now if you read different CC members posting - you'll see the Food Quality has returned)

Ships are not too large (get me off the Wonder of the Seas)

Generally older passengers choose HAL - I'm now in my 70's so I really enjoy having other passengers my age to visit with.

No drunk party-animal passengers ----  like I would find on Carnival or NCL-

(Now while I was still in my young 40's you would never catch me on HAL - too tame give me my party-dance till 2 in the morning crowd)

Cons:  While HAL does have some live-band dance music in their Rollingstone Music Venue (formerly known as BBKings) - it's not quite like the many dance bands on RCI, Celebrity, etc.)

The evening Shows in the Main Theatre are not up (in my opinion) to the caliber of the Productions on say RCI's Oasis of the Seas or many of Celebrity's productions. 

My advice:  If you're just looking for a relaxing cruise with low passenger noise.

You want good food, comfortable cabin & bed, Excellent Customer Service, Friendly Staff, aren't looking for a "party crowd" or age group under 65 to be able to visit with - you'll enjoy HAL.

But if you're in your 50's or under, still like to dance to a variety of Live Dance Bands by the Pool, & late into the wee hours of the morning - HAL may not be the Cruise Line for you.

Also if you like high end Las Vegas Magician style shows or Broadway Production Musicals like other lines offer --- again (my opinion) you're not going to find entertainment to that caliber.

Very good synopsis with one exception.   Some of us have been low key since 35😉.  We started sailing HAL at 40 and for DH and Sis it is the only way they cruise specifically because it is low key 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Very good synopsis with one exception.   Some of us have been low key since 35😉.  We started sailing HAL at 40 and for DH and Sis it is the only way they cruise specifically because it is low key 

Amen. I just turned 40 last month and I’ve loved HAL since my first cruise with them aged 32. Of course I enjoy Cunard as well where I was the youngest on board by decades lol. 

• Like 4

HAL newbie here and going on our first this coming August.  The Rotterdam out of Amsterdam to see the Norway Fjords. Can't wait to go. We are going to make a big trip out of it and visit Belgium (pre) and Paris/Normandy, France (post). 

We did a RCL trip to NE/Canada last October and they seemed to still be suffering from post-covid hangover.  We are going on another RCL trip to Alaska with our grown kids (all married and in their 30's) and the ship was their choice with all the "stuff".  

We started cruising 10 yrs ago, when we were in our 40s. They gave us a questionnaire, to find out which cruiseline would match our requirements best. Guess what, the result was HAL. Nevertheless, we began with Princess, Celebrity and Cunard, and always enjoyed the good mixture of people from all continents and ages. And now, in 2024 it`s time for our first HAL cruise on Oosterdam, and we are so excited. I don`t care too much for what people tell you, as long as I can enjoy my vacation the way I like. And who cares for ages, as long as you can meet interesting people?

• Like 4

I am going on my first Hall cruise in May. Going on the Niew Amsterdam to Alaska with my sister, brother, and sister-in-law. I went to Canada/New England last October on the NCL Pearl. I like the smaller ships that don't have all the slides and go carts and everything else. I take the comments with a grain of salt. Everyone's experience is going to be different. The trip is what you make of it. The fact that I am going with my family is really what matters. Things happen in life that are out of our control. It's how you handle it that makes the difference. I had no problems with my NCL cruise. The first big problem with this cruise was a change in flights by the airline that I booked with Flight Ease. Turned it over to my wonderful travel agent and everything is resolved. Now, I just have to patiently wait until May. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 12:49 PM, Mary229 said:

Very good synopsis with one exception.   Some of us have been low key since 35😉.  We started sailing HAL at 40

Agree with this ^ (good review and agree with the one exception)

I just did the math and after cruising Carnival and NCL, we discovered HAL when I was 39 (Zaandam) and we have never looked back (well, we did make one mistake and tried Princess once but never again).

We are pushing towards 60 (yikes) and Holland America Line continues to be home for us at sea. Next cruise means 4 *'s!

As far as what will be different from Carnival......IMO Everything.  A completely different atmosphere.  Relaxed, classy, calm and elegant.  

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy......

• Like 2