Muster Drill

CJANDH

While not loving the muster drill, I totally understand why it is necessary and I use the opportunity to turn the drill into a positive with it being part of the cruising ritual which allows you to sit and size up the other passengers and look for familiar faces and basically people watch, kind of breaks the ice of the cruise from day 1! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tine-tine said:

While not loving the muster drill, I totally understand why it is necessary and I use the opportunity to turn the drill into a positive with it being part of the cruising ritual which allows you to sit and size up the other passengers and look for familiar faces and basically people watch, kind of breaks the ice of the cruise from day 1! 

Also a great way to meet new Trivia partners!  That's what we did earlier this year...and we'll be a team again this year on Grandeur’s insugurals.  👍

For the moment, it appears this ship (actual Muster Drill) has sailed into history. 

Pity.  Our experience with the real thing was shared in Posts 5, 12, and 16.  No need to repeat.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

the_dylaness:  

Smaller ships.  Fewer passengers.  Muster Stations are usually either in one of the specialty restaurants; a Cocktail Lounge, or the Theater.  Plenty of sitting room.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the_dylaness said:

Does Regent have ample space in each of the muster locations for the # of pax assigned? This was a big problem on some of our Celebrity cruises which led to unsafe crowding and many of us sitting on the floor.

That doesn't speak well as to what would likely happen in an actual emergency.  My last two in-person muster drills (both pre-Covid) (one on Royal, in the middle of summer, with thousands of people on board) and one on NCL (on a late-season TA with that had very few passengers on board) were conducted in locations that had adequate space for the number of passengers assigned.  There was sufficient seating for everyone at both.  I did notice some people were more interested in their phones than in the safety presentation.  I don't care how often you've cruised, I think you should pay attention.  In this sense the video presentation may be better, since passengers are forced to watch before completing check-in (I think once on board, too, at least that was the case on our last cruise).

16 minutes ago, ysolde said:

I did notice some people were more interested in their phones than in the safety presentation.  I don't care how often you've cruised, I think you should pay attention. 

Sadly, safety and a few minutes of attention takes a back seat to common sense. The same type of person that you see in the plane evacuation videos grabbing their luggage before they evacuate an aircraft.

• Like 2

Just returned from a cruise on Splendor.  There was no in person muster drill.  When guests arrived on board the first day, we were directed from the lobby to our muster station where a crew member scanned our room keys before sending us to lunch.  That was it.  Of course the emergency video was playing on our TV when we first arrived in our suite.

• Like 2

On our Voyager cruise in January we got both the electronic version and the in-person muster drill. We had to watch before we left home and when we arrived onboard as well as take our lifejackets, go to our muster stations, put them on and walk to our lifeboats.  Not a big deal to me. Better safe than sorry. 

The problem with watching the video in the suite is that you can play it but not pay attention to it and it fulfills the requirement. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Thus far for our cruise in April, we each had to watch the safety video on-line before we could complete on-line check-in.

That one is a very abbreviated video vs the one that is shown on your suite TV

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the Grand Asia Exploration on Explorer. We had the live muster drill for all but the last leg of our 61-day cruise. Looks like the live drill is no longer being done -- one must watch the TV drill (that is quite long) before you can watch anything else on your TV. 

Hooray! We much prefer the E drill that was in effect on the Splendor and Navigator this past Dec/Jan. We went to our muster station and met with a crew member for a short visit and then watched the video when we got to our suite.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 6:42 PM, daetchief said:

I went to sea one day on a submarine [USS CAVALA].  I discovered two important truths:

1.  Submariners Earn their Pay!

2. I'll never be that hard up for Cash!

Hats Off to those who sail in Sewer Pipes!

My uncle, a true seafaring hero, dedicated three decades of his life to the mighty Navy, serving on submarines that prowled beneath the waves. The mystique of his adventurous spirit was about to be unveiled in a most remarkable way.

It was the 1990s when destiny aligned the stars of our family with an extraordinary invitation. The illustrious USS Grayling, a formidable vessel, made an appearance in Annapolis, beckoning us to explore its secretive corridors. Excitement coursed through our veins as we embarked on a journey to discover the hidden wonders of this remarkable submarine.

Our minds tingled with anticipation as we stepped foot onto the USS Grayling, a realm reserved for the brave. The steel walls whispered tales of daring missions and untold victories, fueling our imagination. With each passing moment, we delved deeper into the heart of the vessel, uncovering the enigmatic world that only a select few were privileged to witness.

But the awe didn't stop there. Fate had yet another astonishing surprise in store for us. The courageous crew members, guardians of the submarine's clandestine missions, welcomed us with open arms. As we gathered around the table, my uncle's voice echoed with admiration for his comrades' culinary mastery. "You're about to experience the pinnacle of military cuisine," he whispered, his eyes twinkling with pride. With each bite, we discovered a world where taste and innovation thrived, even in the most challenging of circumstances.

The tantalizing flavors danced upon our palates, leaving a lingering impression of perfection. Yet, amid the symphony of tastes, a realization struck me like a bolt of lightning. How inconceivable it must be to submerge oneself for three long months beneath the unforgiving sea! The notion of a life confined to the depths, cut off from the sunlit world above, stirred a mixture of fascination and admiration within me.

As we bid farewell to the remarkable crew of the USS Grayling, our minds swirled with the enormity of their sacrifice. Their unwavering dedication, the relentless pursuit of excellence, and the harmony they found amidst the confines of their watery domain left an indelible mark on our souls.

• Thanks 1

I can truly relate to your story and my emotions are in line with what was expressed.

I know ‘of’ the USS Grayling - might have seen it in SanFrancisco or Pearl Harbor (Subic Bay?)

My levity for the complexities of the Submarine Service are based on a foundation of true respect and the knowledge that I wouldn’t have passed muster within their ranks. 

Edited by daetchief
Sp
  • Like 1