Missed connection in Atlanta?

FOXYDEBBY

Delta changed our flight and we now have 45 minutes to make it from the domestic terminal to the international terminal for our vRuo cruise. What are the odds that we will make the connection? Do I need all the stars to align just so? To change will put me in Atlanta for 10 + hours so hubby wants to risk it. If I miss the connection and have to fly out the next day, does travel insurance generally have to cover if I have travel day and missed connection?

Personally, I would not risk a flight of that significance on a 45 minute connection.  Atlanta has massive traffic and you can even get stuck on your plane because your arrival gate is not clear.  Not to mention your luggage if you are cutting it close.

That connection is risky even in good times, and right now flying is not good.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 3

I live in Atlanta, so every flight I've ever taken has originated at the word's busiest airport. Despite how crowded the airport always seems to be, the place is typically very efficient. In your case, however, proximity from one gate to another would definitely determine whether or not you made your connecting flight. Flying on Delta, there is a high likelihood that you will arrive at Concourse A which is closest to the main terminal. The problem is that the international terminal is the farthest from the main terminal. Not sure if you've ever flown into ATL, but regardless of terminal, all foot traffic must move to the middle of the terminal where you get on the escalator to take you to the train under the airport that runs from terminal to terminal. Concourse A is ALWAYS crowded because it is 100% Delta flights, so running to the escalator is challenging. (And it never seems to fail--we always seem to arrive at a gate at the end of the terminal meaning we have to walk the maximum distance to get to the escalator. I've told my wife many times that I think all of those people sitting at the gates near the center of the terminal are just paid actors pretending to wait for a flight and that Delta really only uses the gates at the ends of the terminal for actual flights!)

Once on the train, you'll have to stop at B, C, and D terminals before arriving at the international terminal. As KennyFla said, all it would take is for your flight to arrive on time, but then have to sit and wait for the gate to open, and you'd be out of luck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Personally, I would not risk a flight of that significance on a 45 minute connection.  Atlanta has massive traffic and you can even get stuck on your plane because your arrival gate is not clear.  Not to mention your luggage if you are cutting it close.

That connection is risky even in good times, and right now flying is not good.

I am going to call delta and try to charm them into switching our flights. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

Just now, FOXYDEBBY said:

I am going to call delta and try to charm them into switching our flights. Fingers crossed. 

They did the same thing to us when we were flying ATL to Vancouver via Seattle last summer. No sooner had I booked and they changed the departing flight from ATL giving us 35 min between flights. Because they caused the error, they changed the outgoing flight for us to a more expensive earlier flight at no cost to us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FOXYDEBBY said:

You shouldn't have to charm them.  Because they made the change after you booked you should be able to switch for free.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

Flying on Delta, there is a high likelihood that you will arrive at Concourse A which is closest to the main terminal. The problem is that the international terminal is the farthest from the main terminal.

Not to mention that if they arrive at a domestic gate and need to go to baggage claim, they will need to go back through security before heading to the international terminal.  We never take the people mover trains...it can take 45 minutes just to traverse the airport on the moving sidewalks (not that the OP would do this in their situation) but my point is, ATL is way too big and too busy to risk it.

OP, my suggestion would be to take the earlier flight and suck up the 10 hours in the airport (there are a ton of bars) or fly in the day before and stay at an airport hotel.  Several have free airport shuttle service.  It's an added expense but worth it in order not to miss embarkation...which poses a whole other set of circumstances...good luck in whatever you decide.

• Like 4

Worst case scenario is landing in T and departing from F.  Figure that it can physically take up to 30 minutes to get between gates and that the door closes 10 minutes prior to departure.  45 minutes is asking to miss the connection. 

Good news is that MARTA can take you downtown from the airport in about 30 minutes so you can enjoy some of the attractions in town while on layover.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sabres431 said:

You shouldn't have to charm them.  Because they made the change after you booked you should be able to switch for free.

Airline schedule change policies vary per airline. Just because there is a change, does not mean switch will be free. 

We mostly fly AS , which is 60 minutes beyond the original flight.

AS and DL allows up to 2 days on either side for change also.

Delta also 60 minutes for free change,  same itinerary.
If your schedule change  is greater than 60 minutes, you do not have to accept what they rescheduled for you. Check that day, same itinerary, and let them know which flight you are changing to.

Only time this may be difficult is class of service not available, ie: First Class.

If the only other flight that day is 10 hour layover, I would do it. 
The 45 minute time between flights is just not realistic and missing your connection is not a fun way to start vacation.

Also, from domestic to international connection, I think there is a 2 hour requirement if luggage is not ticketed through to destination.( all flights on same ticket)

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Just curious, what airport in FLA?

Leaving out of Jacksonville. I am about an hour and fifteen south. Tiny little town no one has heard of but we sit on the st johns river. East Palatka. I checked out Daytona, Orlando, Tampa, and Gainseville. Prices about the same but Jax the closest. I actually wanted to just drive to Atlanta but my hubby was no way. 

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Not to mention that if they arrive at a domestic gate and need to go to baggage claim, they will need to go back through security before heading to the international terminal.  We never take the people mover trains...it can take 45 minutes just to traverse the airport on the moving sidewalks (not that the OP would do this in their situation) but my point is, ATL is way too big and too busy to risk it.

OP, my suggestion would be to take the earlier flight and suck up the 10 hours in the airport (there are a ton of bars) or fly in the day before and stay at an airport hotel.  Several have free airport shuttle service.  It's an added expense but worth it in order not to miss embarkation...which poses a whole other set of circumstances...good luck in whatever you decide.

Thanks. I actually have a hotel in rip because I always travel the day before just in case. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we missed the flight, it's just stressful because it would involve a lot of time and paperwork. Plus I would miss my day in Rio and I am looking forward to it. Waiting for Delta to get back to me. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FOXYDEBBY said:

I was able to change the flight to one that leaves a few hours earlier. My mini crisis averted.

I'm glad to hear that! We had a 45 min transfer in Denver coming back from Europe. We had to go through passport control, grab our luggage, go through customs, drop off our luggage, go through security again, take a train, and then quite literally run to our gate to make our flight. My husband and I made it with about 5 minutes before they were going to close the jetway. My dad had been pulled aside at security so I text my parents about how much time was left with RUN in all caps. Alas, they didn't make it and had to stay the night in Denver. I'd wager ATL is a bit better organized (Denver was a mess), but I defs would not recommend those short changes anywhere.

In our case, it was technically on my dad for booking this itinerary because we didn't have any delays or changes. But why on earth are airlines even allowed to sell or change an international flight so it has a 45 minute change, anyway? I get sometimes it's outside of their control, but that they're okay to do it on purpose has always felt nuts to me. Glad you won't be getting an unwelcome workout like I did. 😅