Mexico Warnings Out by US State Dept

mcrcruiser

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I wonder if Mexico has warnings about visiting the USA? The news has not been good....

These advisories were issued in July, 2021.  Apparently they have remained unchanged for the last year and a half?

Just got back a few weeks ago from a cruise out of L.A. to Cabo, Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta

We had no problems.

Doing the same itinerary in March out of San Diego on Holland.

More worried about the U.S. than Mexico..........

• Like 9

I would suggest, that instead of relying on the map, one go on the Department of State's web site and read the actual advisories/warnings.  They are listed by State (31 States + the Federal Zone of Mexico City) and quite specific.  

In the interest of full disclosure, we live in Puerto Vallarta (for part of the year)which is where this post is being written.  I will also say, that having lived in Puerto Vallarta for the past 16 winters, we feel much safer here than in just about any US city.

Hank

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

These advisories were issued in July, 2021.  Apparently they have remained unchanged for the last year and a half?

I recieve the state department travel advisories by email.  Generally the advisories are not relevant for the type of travel and acivities done at ports by cruise passengers.  

• Like 3

A few years ago Mexico was going through another high-publicity drug cartel crime wave and one of the Crystal ships was due to pass through this area at the same time. I believe it was a nigh club murder in PV  - Chapo's son and clearly a drug turf war hit.

Apparently Crystal had a very high number of cancellations for this Mexican cruise,  so they offered it at fire sale prices, since the had to get their ship from point to point anyway -empty or full.  It was a great travel bargain, so we jumped at it and the ship eventually sailed half full.

Even though some onboard passenger were still muttering Crystal never should have offered this leg of the cruise in the first place. It as a Sea of Cortex- Mexican Riviera cruise and continued on without incidence. While the specifically targeted  drug cartel crime continued unabated in Mexico too, sad to report. 

• Like 1

US State Department offers the STEP signup for their current status about various countries: Safe Traveler Enrollment Program.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/step.html

Goes in more depth than just a warning, often with specific locations and nature of any threats. Most countries do not want to lose their tourism business, so they do go out of their way to protect those areas even if they are helpless against other criminal and dangerous activities. . 

Really not much new. There have been high level warnings for many parts of Mexico for years.

In most cases only really an issue if you are active duty military or a goverment employee, since in their cases they have to follow the do not travel warnings issued by State department.

32 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Other cruise lines still do stop in Acapulco

Yes, but there are only two consistently doing it, NCL and it's Oceania cruise line. NCL stops there for a full day going both South and North on its PC cruises. Because of Acapulco's history from the past as being a popular tourist destination I'm surprised CCL and RCCL and their various lines don't consider stopping there on longer voyages or world cruises.