Sapphire / Grand

nijh

Just watched a Cruise Monkeys review of the Grand.  Shocked to see some ‘balcony’ cabins forward on deck 8 which have the Promenade Deck running in front of them and are so covered and set back into the hull I couldn’t class them as a balcony cabin.

We’re booking a guarantee, which worries me, but we have 2 itineraries.  The other is on Sapphire - does that also have those faux balconies on 8?

n

N

Those deck 8 balconies aren't on the Promenade. They are above the Promenade. When you walk the Promenade you get to stairs that go up to deck 8 but it is past the balcony cabins.

Deck 7 snip:

image.png.fd44d727ca0db8b8722591b36feaafe8.png

Deck 8 snip:

image.png.c1bbe34df041062d8b6e42e00db95acc.png

Edit: These snips are from Grand Princess. Sapphire Princess doesn't have these cabins.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

These are great cabins if you can tolerate being in the forward part of a ship.  At night, they rope off the stairs and the area is all yours (and dark).  Very little traffic during the day.

I have always wanted to book one of these cabins....but my body isn't that sea worthy.

Your cabin is on Emerald Deck, One above public/Promenade Deck.

You can not access the deck from your cabin (I would not recommend crawling over the railing).  

53 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Those deck 8 balconies aren't on the Promenade. They are above the Promenade. When you walk the Promenade you get to stairs that go up to deck 8 but it is past the balcony cabins.

Deck 7 snip:

image.png.fd44d727ca0db8b8722591b36feaafe8.png

Deck 8 snip:

image.png.c1bbe34df041062d8b6e42e00db95acc.png

Edit: These snips are from Grand Princess. Sapphire Princess doesn't have these cabins.

With due respect, the video clearly shows the person filming walking past the balcony, with the balcony at roughly shoulder height.  Sounds like Sapphire doesn’t have them though by your post.

3 hours ago, nijh said:

With due respect, the video clearly shows the person filming walking past the balcony, with the balcony at roughly shoulder height.  Sounds like Sapphire doesn’t have them though by your post.

2 hours ago, lgonquin said:

I think the OP is correct. 
Here is a snap shot of the balconies noted in the snippet. 
E201, 203, 205. 
DF9CCF57-957B-4AD8-AE0B-3BE2F027F8D7.thumb.jpeg.abab603fd85a46c058e928dd7ea3cc84.jpeg

Many thanks for the correction. My bad.

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And the walkway in front of those cabins are not accessible at night.  So you have a lot of privacy.

Thanks for that info, fingers crossed we don’t get assigned one, but at least at night we won’t have folks walking past.

10 hours ago, nijh said:

Completely agree, always do, but only Guarantees available on these itineraries.

I understand what you are saying. I have found that when looking for a cruise and possibly booking it, it seems that often there only Guarantees available if I am looking on the Princess website.

However, if I look on my TA's website, there are actual choices of many cabins.

On 1/28/2023 at 3:25 PM, nijh said:

Just watched a Cruise Monkeys review of the Grand.  Shocked to see some ‘balcony’ cabins forward on deck 8 which have the Promenade Deck running in front of them and are so covered and set back into the hull I couldn’t class them as a balcony cabin.

We’re booking a guarantee, which worries me, but we have 2 itineraries.  The other is on Sapphire - does that also have those faux balconies on 8?

On 1/29/2023 at 3:31 AM, nijh said:

Thanks for that info, fingers crossed we don’t get assigned one, but at least at night we won’t have folks walking past.

I am not sure what you mean by faux balconies?  It a place where you can sit.  It is shaded.  It is unobstructed.  You have privacy; there are very few passengers who will climb the stairs to get up to the bow of the ship.  You will have beautiful views at night when it is dark outside.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am not sure what you mean by faux balconies?  It a place where you can sit.  It is shaded.  It is unobstructed.  You have privacy; there are very few passengers who will climb the stairs to get up to the bow of the ship.  You will have beautiful views at night when it is dark outside.

Yeah - fair comment,  my bad.  They’re not what we would want from a balcony, but they certainly are balconies.  Poor choice of words on my behalf.

• Like 1