What to do in/from Marseille - I'm Lost

BlueCattleDog

Hi All,

Will be on a cruise out or Rome (Civitavecchia) in September and have all my plans mostly figured out, except Marseille.   I don't know what it is, but the ship tours seem very bland and I just can't figure out what's the best option for our first time here. I (43F) am taking my mother-in-law and her two friends (all in their mid-70s).  This is our first trip to Europe, first Med cruise, and first time in France.  They are all mobile, but I would like to limit too many stairs etc. too much walking, etc. to ensure they don't get too tired.

What do you recommend for someone's first trip to Marseille?  Open to just about anything and would love your ideas if you were making a recommendation to a friend on what they should do on their first visit to France and Marseille. Thank you!!!

2 hours ago, BlueCattleDog said:

Hi All,

Will be on a cruise out or Rome (Civitavecchia) in September and have all my plans mostly figured out, except Marseille.   I don't know what it is, but the ship tours seem very bland and I just can't figure out what's the best option for our first time here. I (43F) am taking my mother-in-law and her two friends (all in their mid-70s).  This is our first trip to Europe, first Med cruise, and first time in France.  They are all mobile, but I would like to limit too many stairs etc. too much walking, etc. to ensure they don't get too tired.

What do you recommend for someone's first trip to Marseille?  Open to just about anything and would love your ideas if you were making a recommendation to a friend on what they should do on their first visit to France and Marseille. Thank you!!!

Go to Avignon and Les Baux. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

or a tour of the pretty Luberon villages and countryside if that is on offer as a shorex.

I think this is a good option for folks trying to limit walking.  Les Baux is all about walking and can even involve some steps..depending on the bus parking area.  As to Avignon, you again have the issue of how far it is from the bus parking area to the Palace of the Popes.  The good news about Avignon is that the city is relatively flat and walking not too difficult.  

I am a little confused by the OP's post where they talk about "bland" tours but want to limit walking/stairs.   DW and I only take ship excursions as a last resort (we prefer DIY and small private tours) because we find most cruise ship excursions "bland" because they must usually be designed to please a mass group (often 50+) which often means adhearing to the lowest denominator.  Just consider how long a "rest stop" can take when you must wait for 60 folks to get their turn in the facilities.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a helpful question to us as well. We have been to Marseille once before, so this time we want to try a surrounding town. So far I’m thinking about taking the train to Cassis and spending time there. I did read there might be winery to visit close to Cassis. If anyone has any input about this plan, I’d appreciate it too. Thanks!

2 hours ago, buckeye7 said:

This is a helpful question to us as well. We have been to Marseille once before, so this time we want to try a surrounding town. So far I’m thinking about taking the train to Cassis and spending time there. I did read there might be winery to visit close to Cassis. If anyone has any input about this plan, I’d appreciate it too. Thanks!

Ther is a winery right in the outskirts of the town.  You can take a taxi there. 

• Like 1

Hi, I’m not going to comment on “getting there” since I don’t know where your ship will dock and the location that is between Marseille & MRS airport is really awkward, so good luck with that. The region has fabulous public transport but to use it one has to navigate the problematic websites such as sncf.com (trains).

I’m  a senior citizen that’s been a half year resident spending 22 years in the Luberon, a valley with charming medieval hill villages but without a car or driver sort of inaccessible. For amusement read Peter Mayle: A YEAR IN PROVENCE.

But here’s some ideas for areas around Marseille.

My first choice would be Aix en Provence, a gorgeous, leafy, walkable university town. There are cheap little jitneys that can whisk you around the Old Town (vielle ville). There is a main area on the edge which is the Place de la Rotunde (huge fountain) where starts the renowned Cours Mirabeau (5 stars). For preparation: foodies might read MFK FISHER’s TWO TOWNS IN PROVENCE, a mémoire covering post war Aix. A train runs from Marseille St Charles but really a little mini bus tour just to Aix might be worth the research. Sat AM market notable.

Another adventure could be to ARLES where there are ancient Roman ruins and tiny little village streets haunted by the ghost of Van Gogh. Skip Arles if there is a bullfighting weekend.

And lastly (easily accessed) is Avignon,  a larger but walkable city on the east bank of the wide and sleepy Rhône. City center: aim for the Palais des Papes. Historic. 

I’ll leave you to figure out Marseille, head for the port & walk around & possibly take the tourist train: going up to the cathedral above the city will afford spectacular views. Marseille is very international, full of seafood restaurants and curious, down to earth citizens. It won’t strike you as a huge tourist destination but as a real, bustling southern French city...

of course you can take a boat excursion to Chateau d’If of literary fame (The Count of Monte Cristo).

For shoppers there’s a huge new Shopping Center that has some nice restaurants with terraces overlooking the sea as well as several good museums. It’s a reasonable taxi ride from the ship. I’m posting this & coming back with the link to this area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

AIX.   The modern buildings on the far side of La Rotunde has a huge APPLE STORE and near that the tourist office (Office du Tourisme).

These shops include H&M...the parking garage under is ROTUNDE if you have a need..

The fountain is a circle, if your back is to the Apple Store the Cours Mirabeau Is across the fountain from you.

The French department store AU PRINTEMPS is on the left side of the Cours. The famous cafe AUX DEUX GARÇONS is further down on the same side.

OK. hope this isn’t TMI.

SUSAN

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 7:53 AM, MaisonRose said:

& possibly take the tourist train: going up to the cathedral above the city will afford spectacular views.

I love wuite a few of the suggestions I read above. Just one advice if walking is a problem: take the tourist train www.petit-train-marseille.com DONOT take the (HoHo or 60 bus) to the basilica Notre Dame de la Garde with the fantastic panorama over sea and town and it itself worth a visit. WHy? from the stop of the bus it is a steep (!)  1km walk (stone steps...) to the highest point above Marseille. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MAVIP said:

I love wuite a few of the suggestions I read above. Just one advice if walking is a problem: take the tourist train www.petit-train-marseille.com DONOT take the (HoHo or 60 bus) to the basilica Notre Dame de la Garde with the fantastic panorama over sea and town and it itself worth a visit. WHy? from the stop of the bus it is a steep (!)  1km walk (stone steps...) to the highest point above Marseille. 

I as looking at this train but it doesn't give a cost or price on their web site. Do you, or anyone know what the cost of taking this train might be?

Cheers

Len

27 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

I as looking at this train but it doesn't give a cost or price on their web site. Do you, or anyone know what the cost of taking this train might be?

Cheers

Len

Official website of the Tourist Office of Marseille (marseille-tourisme.com)  and search for le petit train and the result is...€ 9 per adult, by clicking on photo of the train I found this page where you can book ahead: Notre Dame de la Garde Tour (Marseille) | Marseille Tourism (marseille-tourisme.com)  Pity it doesnot work as a link.  

😉 Cheers, Lenny

Edited by MAVIP
Cheers

On 2/3/2023 at 7:13 PM, Giantfan13 said:

Is there a HoHo bus for Marseille? and if so, is it a decent enough way to see the city?

Cheers

Len

Yes, there is.  I looked at their website yesterday and the route and stops look as though you can see the most important sites of the city.  We are looking at doing this because we have been there before and did tours outside the city, now we can capture the city memories.

12 hours ago, Grego said:

Yes, there is.  I looked at their website yesterday and the route and stops look as though you can see the most important sites of the city.  We are looking at doing this because we have been there before and did tours outside the city, now we can capture the city memories.

Compare the itinerary the little train's.  You might be better off with the train if it takes you right to Notre Dame de la Garde.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marazul said:

Compare the itinerary the little train's.  You might be better off with the train if it takes you right to Notre Dame de la Garde.

OK, I'll check out the little trains to see where the stops are if any. 

On 2/4/2023 at 2:16 PM, MAVIP said:

Official website of the Tourist Office of Marseille (marseille-tourisme.com)  and search for le petit train and the result is...€ 9 per adult, by clicking on photo of the train I found this page where you can book ahead: Notre Dame de la Garde Tour (Marseille) | Marseille Tourism (marseille-tourisme.com)  Pity it doesnot work as a link.  

😉 Cheers, Lenny

Thanks for the great advice. If you don't mind, a couple of questions on this little train.

Is this a tour, where you just go to wherever it is taking you and then come back on it. Can you go someplace get off and then wait for the next train to come by?

Also, where is the starting point relevant to the cruise port--like is it close, or a taxi ride away?

Cheers

Len

6 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

Thanks for the great advice. If you don't mind, a couple of questions on this little train.

Is this a tour, where you just go to wherever it is taking you and then come back on it. Can you go someplace get off and then wait for the next train to come by?

Also, where is the starting point relevant to the cruise port--like is it close, or a taxi ride away?

Cheers

Len

Please read  https://petit-train-marseille.com/en/circuits/1-notre-dame-de-la-garde/    and maybe download the leaflets.  I translate the french  text on the lower part of that page: 

• Departure 10 AM untill 12.20 and from13:40 PM to 19:20
  • All days of the week
  • Departure about every 20 minutes
  • Departure for the return trip from Notre-Dame de la Garde every 20 minutes
  • Obligation to stop at least 20 minutes for all passengers at Notre-Dame de la Garde and return by  next train
  • Return trip incl a stop of 20 minutes takes about 75 minutes

The train leaves at the Old Port of Marseille (nice!) (in French: Le Vieux Port). See for that part a plan of Marseille on this page :https://petit-train-marseille.com/fr/contact-reservation/    

On 2/4/2023 at 1:51 PM, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

On the website, if you click on each of the routes it will tell you the cost. Our Lady of the Guard is 9 Euro, Old Marseille/Terraces is 9 Euro, Friuli is 5 Euro. Hope that helps!

If you just take the tourist train.. you're letting yourself down. Last time we did that cruise.. it was the only port we didn't put the homework in and organise a decent excursion. Crazy when you think how far it is to get there and we may never come back. We did the tourist train up to the Notre Dame etc. Was an ok day.. but not a patch on any of the other exciting ports. We've only got ourselves to blame though. This time round, we're off to Avignon, Palace of the popes, Provence, Pont du gard, Fort Saint Andre etc.