South Pacific - What currency do I need to take?

GeroWA

We will aboard Pacific Adventure on a cruise which includes New Caledonia & Fiji - What currency will I need? ie US Dollars, AU Dollars or Local money or can we get by with just our C/Cards?

Any advice would be much appreciated  

Personally I hesitate to use credit cards in the South Pacific islands. I prefer cash.

Most of the commercial places you are dealing with will take Australian dollars. If you are buying from food stalls or native carvings you may need the local currency, but usually $A goes a long way. So long as you are aware of the actual exchange rate.

13 hours ago, valantine80 said:

I think it is rather difficult to get those local currencies here but can access ATM's I guess. As suggested businesses are prepared to take AUD

When stopping in Noumea there is a ATM at the entrance to the supermarket diagonally across the road from the cruise terminal / shuttle bus dropoff. 

But it's harder when ships only stop at smaller islands as it's not as easy for the locals to get the AUD exchanged.

• Like 1

I've been in Noumea when a shopkeeper was saying "No Aussie! No Aussie! and only taking CPF. I have had no trouble getting local currency from currency exchange. This was pre COVID and I notice CPF and Vatu are no longer on their currency list. Local ATMs still work.

• Like 1

It is so easy to go to a currency exchange and buy some of the local currency, exchange rate may be average but a minute part of your holiday budget.  I planned on the equivalent of AUD$100 in Fiji Dollars, CPFrancs and AUD$50i Vatu's (You can order on the net for pickup at the airport or local exchange.

If I purchase something major I would wave the credit card.

As mentioned, many cruises stop at a "Mystery" island, do you think its the right thing to pay in AUD/USD, would you do the same in some Cornish Village???  Many of the shop owners will rely on your payments to make a living, do you think they run a currency exchange on Mare, Dravanui or Mystery Island. maybe the local shylock would exchange your payment at ridiculous rates.

I'm sure Hogbay running his shop in Coffs would be happy to take in payments from a half dozen different countries, ater all Coffs is a tourist town.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JeffroK said:

It is so easy to go to a currency exchange and buy some of the local currency, exchange rate may be average but a minute part of your holiday budget.  I planned on the equivalent of AUD$100 in Fiji Dollars, CPFrancs and AUD$50i Vatu's (You can order on the net for pickup at the airport or local exchange.

As mentioned, many cruises stop at a "Mystery" island, do you think its the right thing to pay in AUD/USD, would you do the same in some Cornish Village???  Many of the shop owners will rely on your payments to make a living, do you think they run a currency exchange on Mare, Dravanui or Mystery Island. maybe the local shylock would exchange your payment at ridiculous rates.

I'm sure Hogbay running his shop in Coffs would be happy to take in payments from a half dozen different countries, ater all Coffs is a tourist town.

When an Australian-based cruiseship calls into Mystery Island, Mare, Dravuni, or Port Vila, the only foreign currency tendered would be Aussie, not half a dozen different currencies. At market stalls in these ports, items are priced in AUD. I suggest that this implies that the stallholders are expecting to be paid in AUD. They don't go to a money changer (or 'local shylock'), they bank the AUD. Of course, they can only bank notes, not coins.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 3

On 2/6/2023 at 6:16 PM, JeffroK said:

You think only Australians are on board, you are in for a surprise.

1 of 2 listed on the Roll call for my cruise are from the USA

What Bank???

On 2/5/2023 at 12:02 PM, JeffroK said:

Hope NO one listened to your advice  ... as Fiji dollars ,CPF and Vatu are useless in Sydney and Hobart without a huge exchange rate loss and Tangalooma is only Au $ and card  this is were ships have diverted too . 

Before travelling, get an ING Everyday Visa debit card. To take advantage of the free ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world and no exchange fees, you need to comply with a few rules. Depositing $1000 each month (which you can immediately withdraw) and making 5 Visa transactions (they can be $2.00 each or less), the month prior to using the ATM's

I was slugged $10.00 USD on a cruise ship ATM to withdraw cash but my account was immediately credited that amount. If you need to get just $20 cash from an ATM you don't feel like you have to make it $100 to get your moneys worth.

On 2/5/2023 at 11:02 AM, JeffroK said:

I'm sure Hogbay running his shop in Coffs would be happy to take in payments from a half dozen different countries, after all Coffs is a tourist town.

Coff's probably also still has a Bank too - but don't bet on that not changing soon!!!!

On 2/3/2023 at 2:01 PM, cme2c said:

I've been in Noumea when a shopkeeper was saying "No Aussie! No Aussie! and only taking CPF. I have had no trouble getting local currency from currency exchange. This was pre COVID and I notice CPF and Vatu are no longer on their currency list. Local ATMs still work.

Personally, I know that many Aussies dont like Noumea for various reasons - but I love it because it is one of the few places close by where I can play the game "Aussie Tourist in France".  I wouldn't dream of trying to get some French style pastries in a local patisserie or a beer at the 3 Brasseurs without paying in XPF . https://cuenet.nc/3-brasseurs/  those who want to pay in AUD should stay at home and go down to the Gold Coast. 

• Like 3