New 30-minute pool lounger save policy instituted on the Splendor

-Lew-

LOL - took me a sec to realize what you're talking about. 😉 I don't think that would come into play!

In all seriousness, a lot of people just do things because they can get away with it, OR, probably more likely, don't think anything of it and genuinely believe its normal and no problem. As soon as someone calls them on it or questions and brings it to attention, good chance it'll be the end of it even if they're not happy. Muttering under their breath might happen but the more insightful people reflect and understand. I know I've done it. The ones that double down can be fun though.

I too am sorry we're on different cruises! I would have enjoyed to meet - I'm sure yours well be stellar, probably better without me haha. But I will miss the opportunity of you educating me on my own national sport!

We just got off the Splendor on Wednesday and we had never experienced so many lounge hogs! They were out very early and then disappeared for hours at a time with books, etc on the loungers. I do hope that Regent really does enforce a time policy!!!!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slidebite said:

LOL - took me a sec to realize what you're talking about. 😉 I don't think that would come into play!

In all seriousness, a lot of people just do things because they can get away with it, OR, probably more likely, don't think anything of it and genuinely believe its normal and no problem. As soon as someone calls them on it or questions and brings it to attention, good chance it'll be the end of it even if they're not happy. Muttering under their breath might happen but the more insightful people reflect and understand. I know I've done it. The ones that double down can be fun though.

I too am sorry we're on different cruises! I would have enjoyed to meet - I'm sure yours well be stellar, probably better without me haha. But I will miss the opportunity of you educating me on my own national sport!

Actually, yours (my) national sport is lacrosse. Damn….giving away Trivia hints now.

Last week I sent an email to Jennifer Teegen RSSC Director of Guest Experience & Loyalty. No response from her yet. This is an extract of it: 

Even though Regent has a policy against “reserving” pool loungers it was widely ignored by many passengers by placing various items on loungers e.g. towels, hats, magazines etc. and then not occupied for many hours. 

This past December on the Splendor Holiday Cruise we witnessed a verbal confrontation between two passengers after one accused the other of moving his “stuff” off a lounger he had reserved. On another occasion the pool bar tender intervened between two passengers because the argument became so heated it almost became physical. One passenger in the argument was overheard saying he reserved the lounger at 6 AM. Amazing! Many passengers have stated on Cruise Critic and the Regent Seven Seas Cruise Friends Facebook page that the Regent policy against “Chair Hogs” should be enforced.  However, I realize how to do this may not be so easy. It could put crewmembers in a very delicate situation. Some passengers believe they are entitled so they can do what they want and ignore the rules.         

I’d like to suggest one solution that may work. It seems the pool loungers that are in high demand (and being reserved) are the double wide ones in the shaded area on the main pool deck. I counted about 16 of them on Splendor. I can’t speak about the other ships as we have not sailed on those yet. I suggest a reservation system be established for the most desirable loungers. Number each of the 16 or so loungers. Each cabin could make ONE reservation per day for one or two loungers, for a 2 -hour time non-consecutive time period. If items are left on loungers after a reservation has expired they will be removed. Additional same day lounger use could be permitted if space permits and there or no other reservations. This system could be similar to that which is used for excursions and specialty dining reservation. You could select your lounger, date and time period on-line or on-board. You would receive a printed card with your lounger reservation info. When it’s your reservation time, and if the lounger is still occupied, you can just show the card to that person. I believe this system would help eliminate any passenger conflicts and arguments give everyone a fair opportunity to enjoy the pool amenities.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

RetroRod:  

Appreciated you sharing a specific suggestion as to a system to deal with this continuing, vexing issue experienced on ALL Regent ships.  Other than a "Man (or Woman) Overboard" outcome for a miscreant, cannot come up with an alternative to confront the basic problem of:

Lack of civility.  Other than some aspect of Public Shaming as mentioned in my Post #6. You described observing a verbal confrontation between passengers; we saw how that initial spat escalated into a physical fight. The matter certainly got out of hand, with none of the participants coming out as a winner.  A very-expensive experience.     

Based on past experiences when interacting with Ms. Teegen on matters not-nearly as significant as this complexing one, expect you will get a response.  That will probably come from higher-ups in the organization.  

Again, thanks for weighing-in.  

Now--stand back and await other rejoinders, as no good deed goes unpunished.  

GOARMY!

Yesterday, there was a pile of stuff on the table of shame on the Explorer.  Getting the desired spots, required getting one before 8 this morning,  they have been occupied by bottoms for the most part.  Even a couple of folks that had been leaving them for hours at a time, today actually freed the thing up for others.   Improvement.  Management did actually did a quick stroll around noon today to take a look.  

• Like 3

IMO crew should walk around at say 7 and 8 and put cards on chairs that are "reserved"  If at 8 no butt in chair w/ 7 card then remove stuff.  IF AT 9, SAME.  Then every 45 minutes or so HD or another comparable level senior crew does the same.  So you put a book at 8:30 and not there at 9:15 your book is gone and someone else can have it. Problem solved pretty quickly.  

actually better do not put something on the chair rather a notepad so guilty party does not try to game the system.

Edited by 2SailingNomads
Better idea
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RetroRod said:

I suggest a reservation system be established for the most desirable loungers. Number each of the 16 or so loungers. Each cabin could make ONE reservation per day for one or two loungers, for a 2 -hour time non-consecutive time period. If items are left on loungers after a reservation has expired they will be removed. Additional same day lounger use could be permitted if space permits and there or no other reservations.

Unfortunately I don't think this is a practical or workable solution. It would not stop the "entitled" and would create an impossible administrative and enforcement burden on the crew. It also removes the spontaneity of what guests may wish to do during the day; plus imagine the burden on the laundry of changing bed covers/towels every two hours. 

I support the simple solution of frequent advertising of the no reservation policy in Passages followed by enforcement of the policy by removing items from loungers that have remained unoccupied for an unreasonable length of time.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2023 at 7:44 PM, mnocket said:

the problem is that the ship's designers didn't properly consider the customer preferences when designing the pool deck. 

There are a number of design issues with the Pool Deck on Explorer and Splendor. For example the position of the showers, the sun loungers facing each other and those butting up to the shower/jacuzzi area.

However, packing more loungers onto the deck would not be a good idea and trying to provide more shaded loungers would be very difficult.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

How Oceania did it was elegantly printed cards with the time shown when the card was left.

If the card was still there in 30 minutes, it and the belongings were moved to a table. 

Easily managed by a single crew member.

That crew member will be subjected to abuse by entitled passengers...I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy.

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

That crew member will be subjected to abuse by entitled passengers...I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy.

Full disclosure: I once had to save one of the deck stewards who was “attacked” by one of those said entitled guests. He then turned his attention towards me but quickly backed down. I NEVER raise my voice and am told it’s quite scary!

I repeat myself: it will be bad the first few hours until people realize that the rules apply to everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrstanley said:

I agree with fizzy. I don’t think a passenger will verbally abuse a senior crew member.

You might be put off the ship for not complying with the policy. Like smoking in your suite or balcony!

It is not the Captain's job to policy sun loungers.

7 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I've got a novel idea....why don't we all simply act like adults and respect the rules, the crew, and fellow passengers? 

As the comedian Ron White one said “You can’t fix stupid”. In these cases you can’t fix people that believe they are entitled. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I've got a novel idea....why don't we all simply act like adults and respect the rules, the crew, and fellow passengers? 

Whaaaa? Talk about a slippery slope! What's next? Expect people to wait in a line?? <faints>

What about at a restaurant? What if they are hungry *now* and the 3 minutes to get seated is time wasted that could be otherwise used eating???

Don't you realize when you already have a foot in the grave every second is precious?

Just stop with these extreme ideas!

lol

Education should go a long ways. Those that don't can be dealt with individually.

• Haha 2