So Are things Looking up?

mpdog42

2 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Now relating this to X as a profit center for RCL.  Mnagement is making too many mistakes with its best assets, Employees and customer base. If Mgt upsets  just 30% and lose 20, or 15%, thats a ton of cash flow and profit. One of the basic rules in business is customer retention. If they go somewhere else and like it you screwed up bad. Captains Club status only does so much.

The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 – 70%. The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20%, Customers who rate you 5 on a scale from 1 to 5 are six times more likely to buy from you again, compared to ‘only’ giving you a score of 4.8. 

2 hours ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 – 70%. The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20%, Customers who rate you 5 on a scale from 1 to 5 are six times more likely to buy from you again, compared to ‘only’ giving you a score of 4.8. 

What about those who give "10! 10! 10!" as suggested by the cruise waitstaff? 😅

2 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Now relating this to X as a profit center for RCL.  Mnagement is making too many mistakes with its best assets, Employees and customer base. If Mgt upsets  just 30% and lose 20, or 15%, thats a ton of cash flow and profit. One of the basic rules in business is customer retention. If they go somewhere else and like it you screwed up bad. Captains Club status only does so much.

X had a great thing going pre covid. all it had to do is bring it back the same way, slowly ramp up occupancy till thingswere "right" and apologize for changes made which is basic stuff. Do not get too fancy after getting a huge curve ball bean ball thrown at you. Do the blocking and tackling, the fundamentals,  right.

For the most part, I'd say the restart went well... up to a point. Customer loyalty is a fragile thing though. Give your loyal customer base a reason to look elsewhere and they will.  X has certainly done so in the past month. 

If RCL reports a booking decline that is contrary to whatever the broader economy is doing, that's not a good sign. 

• Like 1

I see that there are several people planning on going to Venice after the cruise.  My husband and I are also planning on going to Venice and taking the train.  We would love to split transfers to the station with anyone willing to let us tag along.  

4 hours ago, Empress217 said:

I see that there are several people planning on going to Venice after the cruise.  My husband and I are also planning on going to Venice and taking the train.  We would love to split transfers to the station with anyone willing to let us tag along.  

This is something you should post in the Roll Call for your cruise. More likely to find people to slit a transfer.

On 2/9/2023 at 7:17 PM, HMR74 said:

As I understand it, 150% of statistics are made up - at a minimum.

Nobody has a 100% retention rate, and repeat customers don't grow the business or build new ships anyway. It takes new customers for that. As for old customers, nobody is irreplaceable. As for loyalty programs, they are nothing more than marketing programs. Yes, repeat customers are desirable, but as long as a company is satisfied with the percentage they get, it is good enough.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:23 AM, terrydtx said:

That same meeting the rep said the charge for room service was also to cut down waste and the needless use of understaffed crew to deliver the RS.  Too many abused RS and order things they never eat and would leave the full plates outside their cabins. Just walk down the hallways early in the morning to see what is left outside the cabins from the night before.

I see the point. I was on Princess a few weeks ago, and a maitre'd said the ability of room service delivered using Medallions anywhere is killing their staff, especially on school breaks when kids order a plate of fries, a cookie, and other stuff constantly, wherever they're at. I even saw someone have a piece of cake delivered to them in the buffet, and I fear those used to home food delivery don't consider the cost it imposes on crew and food waste and hallway plate litter. I also agree that the waste must be considerable for the buffet in the evening. I found the cut-back buffet a little easier to manage and less of a duplicate from lunch, so I enjoyed a bit of variety but not too much choice. I also simply use it as impetus to make myself a salad or have a fresh bowl of pasta made for me, relatively healthy yet able to satisfy hunger pre-dinner or after a show. The ice cream station is also a stand-out on X. I remember on Solstice one night they greatly expanded the evening buffet for a port night, perhaps figuring that a lot of people would want a quick meal and to avoid the MDR that night. I would also hope that when they get full ships in the Alaska season, they'd expand the buffet again to help relieve pressure on the MDR and to give people a good option if they're back tired from a tour. They also have to consider crew morale for those who eat dinner in the buffet and who don't have the alternate choices that passengers do.