So Are things Looking up?

mpdog42

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Because so far Celebrity has been able to get away with this crazy suites pricing.  But for how long?  We just sailed The Retreat and every suite was taken.  Same as what is being reported on most of their ships.  But we used the last of our FCC's.  So now we will be much more selective on cruise lines.  Maybe others in the same situation?  I am definitely looking for alternatives and suggestions.  There might be more value on RCCL as we are D+ members and some of their suites are really nice and at a good price point, and others are not.  Or Silversea?  MSC? Everything is fair game now.  Loyalty to the brand is not important anymore.  And we will never make Zenith.  I cannot even imagine what it would cost to go from E+ to Z at this point.

MSC status matches to other cruise lines or even hotels, airfare, etc

• Like 1

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

MSC status matches to other cruise lines or even hotels, airfare, etc

Yes we have matched MSC but have not used it yet.  This is the first time in years that I have no Celebrity cruises booked.  It is due entirely to the crazy pricing for The Retreat.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Because so far Celebrity has been able to get away with this crazy suites pricing.  But for how long?  We just sailed The Retreat and every suite was taken.  Same as what is being reported on most of their ships.  But we used the last of our FCC's.  So now we will be much more selective on cruise lines.  Maybe others in the same situation?  I am definitely looking for alternatives and suggestions.  There might be more value on RCCL as we are D+ members and some of their suites are really nice and at a good price point, and others are not.  Or Silversea?  MSC? Everything is fair game now.  Loyalty to the brand is not important anymore.  And we will never make Zenith.  I cannot even imagine what it would cost to go from E+ to Z at this point.

Our cruises this year are all sold out in Sky Suites and next year on the Edge. Funny thing, when I was on some Oceania CC threads, I kept getting similar messages welcoming us and that we are joining many unhappy former Celebrity customers. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, coaster said:

Reposting my post from another Celebrity topic here...

Seems like Royal and Celebrity should merge into one. Celebrity being advertised as a premium line, yet adding a room service fee like Royal makes the premium proposition harder to justify and Celebrity cutting back on the dinner buffet and Royal not cutting back on their dinner buffet. The line between the two seems so close now after January 1st. Less marketing costs if they combine would be another savings.  Not surprised if they merge the two lines in the future.

I would LOVE for X to get absorbed by RCI but understand it’s incredibly doubtful.  I book carnival when I want better entertainment (usually 3 different comedians a day, piano sing along bar, their regular show, family feud is more fun than deal no deal, etc) and food (compare the Guys burgers to the awful mast grill, compare their melting cake to any X baked dessert, compare their Pig & Anchor BBQ to any complimentary meat other than filet, compare Shaq Big Chicken to any X chicken dish, etc)

It’s only early Feb but in 2023 I have booked zero X sailings and have booked 3 CCL sailings; very open to try RCI but it seems carnival is either cheaper and/or has more appealing itinerary during the date windows I can cruise 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You may want to double-check that. I don't think YC includes tips in the fare.

You are correct.  I'm juggling 2 bookings right now for my son and gf.  I went back and looked at ours and yes tips are not included.  They were for the other booking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Were you in The Retreat and dine in Luminae on APEX and EDGE?

No, we were in a Sunset Balcony on both ships.  The decline in food was noticeable compared to our very good experience on Apex in January 2022. 

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We feel the same.  And I became Elite through Diamond on Royal.  Ive sailed 5 or 6x on the Summit, have an upcoming on the Equinox and the Beyond.  And I really loved the Summit and Celebrity in general.  The ridiculous fees for the Retreat on the Equinox, the OVC dinner issue plus other dinner options, Im just not going to put down 10 grand and then have to pay for a meal onboard in a specialty to get decent food?  Sorry.  Plus it's the internet packaging that really annoys me the most.  You have all included with crappy wifi that you have to pay extra to get better.  And its the same price to upgrade as Royal Caribbean premium package is.  I hope this changes as I really like Celebrity but not for these prices.

• Like 2

Seen a few mentions of MSC here and seen a June 2024 Caribbean cruise with them and an itinerary we like. Does MSC typically have more children on board? Have asked the same question on their board but nobody responded yet.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:55 AM, twincheryl said:

On Apex now and dinner buffet has no grill station yet… but there has been a carving station each night and several nights the Stir Fry station has been open.  Must say the bakery people on this ship are superb!  The breads and desserts are the best we’ve ever had.  Overall the reduced offerings have been excellent.  They are actually using some seasonings and even the veg fried rice had a little zip. 

We were very leary the first night but are totally ok if they keep things like this, although would really like a grill and/or pasta station.  Had a conversation with one of the Exec Chefs who was standing around and he said they are kind of in a tough spot… if they cut too much people won’t come, but if they have too much it is wasted.  

Just went on Solstice for first X cruise in January. Didn’t go to OV at night but lunch had carving station and pasta station every day, and the best pizza! We thought overall food was excellent in MDR - agree that bread basket and flavored butter choices every night was exceptional! Lobster was smaller but never went away hungry:)

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 8:16 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow. Good to have some inside intel!  I have many times mused about the obvious food waste on cruise ships. I’ve seen countless abandoned plates of food left on tables waiting to be bussed and I wondered why someone would take all that food if they weren’t going to eat it. I think Celebrity are right to make efforts to counter food waste. I’m glad, even. But I hope they reassess their strategy. Cook to order stations like the stir fry are no brainer ways to reduce waste while keeping passengers happy. Another option is to serve hot meals at dinner that people actually want to eat. 

Yes, went on ship tour on Solstice Mexican Riviera in Jan and they mentioned food waste as a bigger emphasis for sustainability and economics. (Our ship was 25% full - 700+ people. They called it our “private yacht”😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I would LOVE for X to get absorbed by RCI but understand it’s incredibly doubtful.  I book carnival when I want better entertainment (usually 3 different comedians a day, piano sing along bar, their regular show, family feud is more fun than deal no deal, etc) and food (compare the Guys burgers to the awful mast grill, compare their melting cake to any X baked dessert, compare their Pig & Anchor BBQ to any complimentary meat other than filet, compare Shaq Big Chicken to any X chicken dish, etc)

It’s only early Feb but in 2023 I have booked zero X sailings and have booked 3 CCL sailings; very open to try RCI but it seems carnival is either cheaper and/or has more appealing itinerary during the date windows I can cruise 

Everyone is different.   We have cruised a few times on RCI but don’t like the enormous ships and have no need of flow riders etc.  We prefer the quieter atmosphere of Celebrity.  I can’t comment on Carnival, but from their advertising and comments on these boards I don’t think they would suit us.  We haven’t taken an ocean cruise since before COVID, but have 23 days on Silhouette coming up in April.  We will go with an open mind, prepared to enjoy being at sea again.  If we are disappointed we will rethink future plans, but that will be after we have seen for ourselves.  We have never been suite cruisers, so are not spending the big money others are mentioning here, but if we were, that might alter our views.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

there is no money at or near the bottom in pricing - or whatever it used to be .  X thinks that their product is heading in the right direction and will tweak it along the way.  It will become too expensive for some people and they will go someplace else 

If X is selling out Retreat then that is good for them.  Retreat is a high margin customer who isn't commenting on steak and lobster every night.  X knows the demographics of who does what in the ship and who spends money.  Hanging out in the room watching movies, doesn't buy liquor, internet or spa services is not someone they are looking to retain  - they can go to HAL

They want to keep the high spenders from switching to Oceania, Seabourne or Silversea and think that a ship within a ship on a big ship experience (suite) can keep them on X. 

I actually think the food on X in the MDRs is pretty good.  Interesting variety, not the run of the mill chicken parmigiana   OV for dinner was always low attendance and it is hard to add value to that with onboard service as the MDR can. It is what it is - end of a long day in port and we just want to eat something decent 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

Seen a few mentions of MSC here and seen a June 2024 Caribbean cruise with them and an itinerary we like. Does MSC typically have more children on board? Have asked the same question on their board but nobody responded yet.

Lots more children on MSC, especially on the big ships with the water parks and ropes course.  I hardly ever see kids on Celebrity and when I do, I wonder what they do all day because there's not much kid-centric about celebrity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:26 AM, TeeRick said:

Just pack your George Foreman Grill, a couple of Prime Ribs, and maybe some Maine Lobster on ice in your carryon.  Then you will not be disappointed! 😁

Go whole hog, just pack a charcoal grill and do a barbeque on the balcony.  Just make sure you invite your neighbors so they won't complain.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2023 at 2:09 PM, terrydtx said:

Interesting conversation with my TA who books mostly cruises with Celebrity on Friday. I have been telling her for weeks about CC and the number of loyal Celebrity customers who are very upset over the cutbacks and changes instigated last month. She had a meeting with her Celebrity rep this week and brought up my comments and the CC complaints. The rep told her that Celebrity management does monitor CC and is aware of the complaints on CC.  He told her the cutback in the OVC for diner was to reduce the nightly food wastes that are over 50% on most cruises. He also told her the whole OVC changes are going to be a reassessed on a regular basis. The new charge for a second lobster tail in MDR was again to cut down in waste, too many people would order multiple lobsters and not eat all of them.

Don't believe a word they saying, food waste has no impact on decisions, food cost is what has the impact. The food is not being sold to you and a budget per head has been worked out and food supplied to that budget but when that budget is cut the inclusive food needs to be cut but if they can spin it like they are saving on waste of sounds so much better to customers than they are cutting it to save money 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Obobru said:

Don't believe a word they saying, food waste has no impact on decisions, food cost is what has the impact. The food is not being sold to you and a budget per head has been worked out and food supplied to that budget but when that budget is cut the inclusive food needs to be cut but if they can spin it like they are saving on waste of sounds so much better to customers than they are cutting it to save money 

Agree 100%. "Cutting waste" is corporate-speak that plays well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cruise lines have been "Spinning" things for Years.

I remember when They Mailed us a nice spiral binder with all our Cruise Docks Printed nicely.

Then when they Stopped That they Said Gleefully "Now YOU can Print out your Own docks at Home at YOUR Convenience" ! ! !  😍 Yes, Conveniently with My Paper and My Ink and no Postage cost to Them?

I Doubt they passes their Savings along to Us?😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Obobru said:

It isn't the budget that is cut, but the costs that increase.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:09 AM, terrydtx said:

Interesting conversation with my TA who books mostly cruises with Celebrity on Friday. I have been telling her for weeks about CC and the number of loyal Celebrity customers who are very upset over the cutbacks and changes instigated last month. She had a meeting with her Celebrity rep this week and brought up my comments and the CC complaints. The rep told her that Celebrity management does monitor CC and is aware of the complaints on CC.  He told her the cutback in the OVC for diner was to reduce the nightly food wastes that are over 50% on most cruises. He also told her the whole OVC changes are going to be a reassessed on a regular basis. The new charge for a second lobster tail in MDR was again to cut down in waste, too many people would order multiple lobsters and not eat all of them.

I'm not blaming any cruise line (it's just aftermath of "farcicality" pushed on their shoulders): just a logical observation - if what you wrote is true, the cutback would be implemented (again, by any cruise line) many years ago (unless they never assessed food waste until couple months ago which is impossible to comprehend).

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:23 AM, terrydtx said:

That same meeting the rep said the charge for room service was also to cut down waste and the needless use of understaffed crew to deliver the RS.  Too many abused RS and order things they never eat and would leave the full plates outside their cabins. Just walk down the hallways early in the morning to see what is left outside the cabins from the night before.

Again, people do it all the time for years and years.  Why preventing it just now?  Strange timing.  Didn't any business concern about waste until just now? 

On 2/5/2023 at 11:20 AM, Nashna said:

Just came back on Friday from a 7-Day Apex, followed by an 11-day Edge sailing.  The meal quality and selections in the MDR for dinner were the same on both ships...dismal.  The NY Strip steak was so thin, the chefs had a difficult time cooking it as ordered.  Filet mignon or Prime Rib was not offered in the MDR.  My Prime Rib in First Cut was not a prime or choice piece of meat.  It was tough.  When the Maitre de said he would talk to the chef, I advised him that the meat was cooked perfectly, the fault was in the cut of meat he was given to cook.  I have never heard so many people complain about meal selection and quality.  It was a shame as other than the food; the cruise was outstanding in every way.  We sailed on Apex last January and were so pleased with our voyage that we immediately booked again.  We had intended to book a Beyond sailing for next year.  Now, I am inclined to wait to hear of meal quality and selection improvements before I book another Celebrity sailing.

Good luck.  What cruise line is better these days?  Either cruise with whatever line (for a discussing matter) or not cruise at all for a while.

26 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I'm not blaming any cruise line (it's just aftermath of "farcicality" pushed on their shoulders): just a logical observation - if what you wrote is true, the cutback would be implemented (again, by any cruise line) many years ago (unless they never assessed food waste until couple months ago which is impossible to comprehend).

Exactly.  The "reduce waste" talking point is total BS.  As if all of the unserved food is thrown out, instead of going to the crew.  And if, as everyone seems to say, "hardly anyone eats at the buffet at dinner", then waste of served food should be minimal.   

Waste in the MDR has to be many times greater.  "Oh look, everyone at the table has a side of asparagus that they won't eat".   

Another case in point, back in November, I wanted a surf & turf on lobster night.  Just toss a lobster tail on there with the steak.   Nope.  They insisted that they had to bring 2 full meals.  I've heard others mention the same experience.  

• Like 1