Crown Princess - were engines repaired in drydock & suite questions

EvilGrandpa

Hi all,

For our 40th wedding annivsary my wife wants to take a cruise to Alaska.    The trip that's the best fit for our schedule is on the 10 day inside passage trip on the Crown Princess leaving this Sept 5th.  After looking at the reviews on CC I'm concerned because they all mentioned the engine troubles on the Crown princess.  I did read that it was supposed to go into drydock recently.  Does anyone know if they actually did these repairs and/or where I can look online to find out?   

Since it's our 40th anniversary I was planning on getting a suite.  Is it worth the extra $ to go from a Club class min-suite to a Vista suite?   The difference is close enough to pay for another weeklong cruise to a different destination.    We usually go with balcony cabins but my wife complained, though not too strongly, about the last two (both on the Norwegian Getaway) being a bit tight.  I did see that we get more perks with the Vista suite but we've never cruised on Princess before.    Any suggestions or tips would be quite welcome.

Thanks!

Cannot answer your suite question, but I got off the Crown on Tuesday, and currently the cruise is on a 15-day LA to Hawaii R/T route. No engine troubles were noted. Due to the distance Hawaii is from LA, you cannot cover that up if the engine cannot run at expected speeds.

Maybe others can shed light on this.

• Like 1

I can't comment on the Crown drydock issue...I'm sure someone else will jump in.

I regards to the mini-suite...keep in mind that a "mini-suite" does NOT have the same perks as a full suite.  Many people get their feathers ruffled with the name of that category of cabin because of this.  A Suite has many upper scale perks that a MS does not.

8 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Cannot answer your suite question, but I got off the Crown on Tuesday, and currently the cruise is on a 15-day LA to Hawaii R/T route. No engine troubles were noted. Due to the distance Hawaii is from LA, you cannot cover that up if the engine cannot run at expected speeds.

Maybe others can shed light on this.

Actually, that is not correct.  To get to/from LA to Hawaii only needs an average of 17 knots speed, well down from full speed.  With the six engines Crown has, taking any one out of service can still provide enough power to reach this speed.  If I remember correctly, the problem was that one engine was down for repair (waiting on parts), and another had to be overhauled, so two engines out of service.  The one engine was overhauled a good while ago, and I believe that the repairs on the other were completed months ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EvilGrandpa said:

Hi all,

For our 40th wedding annivsary my wife wants to take a cruise to Alaska.    The trip that's the best fit for our schedule is on the 10 day inside passage trip on the Crown Princess leaving this Sept 5th.  After looking at the reviews on CC I'm concerned because they all mentioned the engine troubles on the Crown princess.  I did read that it was supposed to go into drydock recently.  Does anyone know if they actually did these repairs and/or where I can look online to find out?   

Since it's our 40th anniversary I was planning on getting a suite.  Is it worth the extra $ to go from a Club class min-suite to a Vista suite?   The difference is close enough to pay for another weeklong cruise to a different destination.    We usually go with balcony cabins but my wife complained, though not too strongly, about the last two (both on the Norwegian Getaway) being a bit tight.  I did see that we get more perks with the Vista suite but we've never cruised on Princess before.    Any suggestions or tips would be quite welcome.

Thanks!

Dry dock was in Oct.  We sailed Nov/Dec 28 night South Pacific and no engine issues.  Smooth sailing.  Great crew!

I’d go for the suite. Big difference over a mini suite.  But, that’s just my opinion.

Have a great trip!  Happy Anniversary!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Dry dock was in Oct.  We sailed Nov/Dec 28 night South Pacific and no engine issues.  Smooth sailing.  Great crew!

I’d go for the suite. Big difference over a mini suite.  But, that’s just my opinion.

My only add-on would be to try to find a royal class and do a suite. Their concierge lounge adds a great touch! 🤗

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Agree when we were on the Crown there was no problems with engine indicated earlier this year.  Yes, go for the suite if you can afford it.  The perks are worth it over a mini-suite on the Crown.  We were in a Penthouse Suite and they are very spacious and nice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EvilGrandpa said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Despite the current situation - which is no issue as you must have read here by now - there is no guarantee something adverse won't happen by the time you board.  Could be weather.  Could be a port.  Could be the ship.  Could be almost anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...