Live to Partly Live to Oh Well from Celebrity Infinity, Feb 11-25, 2023 Antarctica and Iguasu Falls

BlerkOne

Iguazu Falls was one of the highlights of our trip to S. America.

We had a short window on our trip and it was a must see for me. We planned the trip ourselves. 

Took the first flight out from Rio to IGU. 
Booked transfer through the hotel 

Landed at IGU and again had arranged transfer through the hotel. Stayed at the Belmond as you have extended hours in the park. 

We did some trails in the afternoon and again went into the park early in the morning.

After breakfast we had arranged a  private transfer through the Belmond across to the Argentinian side.

Border crossing took some time but we were checked into the Gran Melia by noon which gave us ample time to do a couple of  trails and again got up early and did another. 

Moon walk that evening had been canceled. 
We did not have time to do the boat ride but it looked thrilling.

We packed a lot into our two nights and in order to maximize our time there it was juat easier booking transfers through the Belmond rather than trying to source a potentially cheaper driver.

It was  the trip of a lifetime and I couldn’t go all the way up there and not see both sides but even if you could only do one side I’d say go for it. 

Flew from IGR to Buenos Aires around mid morning. 
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Good deal - looks like I will have complementary WiFi on the flight to Buenos Aires. How good it is might be a different story.

That's exciting.   Which airline and class of service.   For us that love to be connected it really helps on a REALLY long flight.

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

That's exciting.   Which airline and class of service.   For us that love to be connected it really helps on a REALLY long flight.

United. I happen to be in Premium Economy, but really because it is a perk of the T-Mobile plan I have.

tmobile-logo-group-7.png

T-Mobile customers get free Wi-Fi
That’s unlimited Wi-Fi, texting and streaming for T-Mobile customers on domestic and international United flights. See plan details for eligibility

On 2/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, Jim_Iain said:

That is our plan.   We will be arriving on the TA on Equinox Dec 2024 so plenty of time to plan.   I was thinking of flying there on day of disembarkation so I don't have to get 2 AirB2B or pay for 3-4 days that we would not be there.

Did you take the Celebrity Excursion?    I know they can be extremely expensive.   When we did the the Taj Mahal I took the Celebrity itinerary and had an agent replicate it except we stayed in Agra instead of Delhi.   The price was about 1/4 of what Celebrity was charging and it ended up 1/2 of the Celebrity Excursion was on the same flight as us.

Yes, I did the shore excursion through Celebrity, but solo traveler nerves so far from home and by then, I knew some of the people on the tour. Yes, expensive. If there's a next time, I'd do it on my own.

Received an email from Celebrity - not entirely sure what it means other than expect disorganization. Oh well, if I make it to the terminal, it's all good. Can't wait!!! Hopefully no flight delays today. There's some weather out there.

Dear Guest,

We can’t wait to welcome you aboard Celebrity Infinity® for an incredible journey through Antarctica. To ensure a seamless embarkation experience for you and your fellow passengers, we ask that you please adhere to the following:

• We are expecting delays in boarding on Saturday. If you’ve already completed your online check-in, please plan to arrive a little later than your selected arrival time, but no later than 3:30PM. If you haven’t yet, please download the Celebrity Cruises app and select a remaining available check-in time.

I see this from the current cruise:

Has anyone gotten any updates on the GI tract outbreak aboard the current cruise that has caused the Oceanview Buffet to no longer be self serve as well as causing the cancellation of on board tours due to a number of crew members being sick? The shortage of serving staff has seemingly created a more or less chaotic situation and, at times, very slow food service.

Note to self - pick up some peanut butter crackers or other snacks in Buenos Aires. I don't think I packed enough Cliff Bars for the whole cruise. 🙂

I don't usually do buffets and tend to eat later than most cruisers, it seems, so I should be good. Hope those affected recover quickly. I would think things would be better for our cruise.

We did this before on an Infinity cruise a few years ago.  The trip to Iguazu is a must.  I would recommend doing it as a private excursion and allow at least a full day to do one side of the falls.  Would have loved to do the Brazilian side, but at that time it was a very expensive visa.  There are several agencies that will do all the leg work for you.  Eleanor Roosevelt is reported as saying Poor Niagara after seeing Iguazu.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:44 PM, BlerkOne said:

United. I happen to be in Premium Economy, but really because it is a perk of the T-Mobile plan I have.

tmobile-logo-group-7.png

That’s unlimited Wi-Fi, texting and streaming for T-Mobile customers on domestic and international United flights. See plan details for eligibility

Well, they lied. It didn't work on my flight, but I was able to have free messaging - I think everyone does.

Anyway, after some rough weather, made it to Buenos Aires, checked into the hotel early, got a bite to eat, and nap time is rapidly approaching.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, BlerkOne said:

tmobile-logo-group-7.png

Thanks -- I"m also T-Mobile member and love the free internet when flying.     It was also really helpful to be able to use Uber in Buenos Aires.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Breakfast was a little rocky, too.

Wanted to let you know that CC doesn't play well with uploaded direct from an iPhone.  Only users on an apple device an view them.  

To make them visible to the rest of the users you have to do the arduous task of uploading to YouTube and then paste the link. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wanted to let you know that CC doesn't play well with uploaded direct from an iPhone.  Only users on an apple device an view them.  

To make them visible to the rest of the users you have to do the arduous task of uploading to YouTube and then paste the link. 

Apparently not from Android, either. Maybe after a nap.🙂

Speaking of bathrooms, there is a tub, but there was no stopper for the tub. No problemo. I found in my stash of assorted OTC drugs one that was a near perfect fit, wrapped some plastic wrap around it and wedged it in. I don't think a drop go by it. Maybe better that the real deal.

PXL_20230209_213021607_DxO.thumb.jpg.dbd625f34253a6e70d7630e91a071ae9.jpg

And a myth busted that has been busted before.

PXL_20230209_213143635_DxO.thumb.jpg.60ae1f9cea7c7a6f35657e2b4058a009.jpg

6 hours ago, sykimball1498 said:

We love your reviews.  Any new cruises on the horizon?  

Don't want to hijack this great Live Post.    I have my cruises in my signature you may need to expand to see -  Next up April B2B TA one week in Amsterdam and then rejoin Apex for the British Isles Cruise