Live from the Ovation

fudge

20 hours ago, jondfk said:

Seabourn aren't Oceania but we're wondering if it isn't best to arrive "late" and let those more eager get onboard for that first meal?

A different viewpoint. We have sailed Seabourn frequently and choose to eat lunch ashore and get on after 2pm when the cruise port is less busy and any glitches in the boarding process has been sorted out. Then we can board, put our carry-on bags in our room straight away and go up to Sky Bar on Deck 9 or Patio Bar on Deck 8 for a celebratory drink. 

24 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

A different viewpoint. We have sailed Seabourn frequently and choose to eat lunch ashore and get on after 2pm when the cruise port is less busy and any glitches in the boarding process has been sorted out. Then we can board, put our carry-on bags in our room straight away and go up to Sky Bar on Deck 9 or Patio Bar on Deck 8 for a celebratory drink. 

We've done this as well, but have never found ourselves in a big crowd for our first lunch.  Both ways work!

1 minute ago, SLSD said:

We've done this as well, but have never found ourselves in a big crowd for our first lunch.  Both ways work!

It isn't so much the big crowd onboard but sometimes there have been problems with the port authorities checking people in. For example one time at Civitavecchia we heard from other people there had been a problem with electrical connection for the computers so people had to wait a long time in a hot room.

Another time in Athens we dropped off our luggage around 11.45 before heading to a local restaurant and a lot of people were there already. The glitch was the local authorities were refusing to start processing until midday. There were lots of grumpy people so we were glad we were leaving and going to lunch. 

Just to be clear these issues were both due to the local port authority not Seabourn.

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

It isn't so much the big crowd onboard but sometimes there have been problems with the port authorities checking people in. For example one time at Civitavecchia we heard from other people there had been a problem with electrical connection for the computers so people had to wait a long time in a hot room.

Another time in Athens we dropped off our luggage around 11.45 before heading to a local restaurant and a lot of people were there already. The glitch was the local authorities were refusing to start processing until midday. There were lots of grumpy people so we were glad we were leaving and going to lunch. 

Just to be clear these issues were both due to the local port authority not Seabourn.

I guess we have been very fortunate in the past to not experience this kind of thing.  We have experienced staff at the port. not seeming to know their job.  Once, I had to remind them to take my photograph.  

5 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I have never experienced any problems when getting on any ship from any line at any port.

Oh well perhaps my time will come.😁

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I have never experienced any problems when getting on any ship from any line at any port.

Oh well perhaps my time will come.😁

Grand Pacific Voyage 3 hours queueing up.  Nothing to do with SB.  Vancouver, and US Border Control.  Totally awful.  There was a massive ship embarking at the same time. 

I must be honest here, it was 2hrs 55minutes actually

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Grand Pacific Voyage 3 hours queueing up.  Nothing to do with SB.  Vancouver, and US Border Control.  Totally awful.  There was a massive ship embarking at the same time. 

I must be honest here, it was 2hrs 55minutes actually

Did this have something to do with Covid testing etc?

On 2/24/2023 at 2:12 AM, SLSD said:

Yes,  this is based on experience.  We always try to board in time to have lunch outside at the Colonnade.  Now, things may be a bit different as we have not sailed since Covid.  However, from what I have been reading many board by noon or so if possible.  I don't yet know if that will be possible for us this time--but if it is, lunch on the day of embarkation is one of my favorite things.  So, if you can do it--do it!  

I have not heard of anything like what you experienced on Oceania on a post pandemic Seabourn cruise.  

You’ll get 4 to 6 different emails during the last 14 days before your cruise with a different boarding time in each email, but you can ignore all of those and board whenever you want. Nobody at the port or on the ship cares. I have found that post Covid, the start of boarding is more like 12:30 pm than 12 noon, but the good news is, suites are now ready when you board (and you’ll find your room keys in the suite). Much more civilized than waiting for a “suites ready” announcement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To me it makes sense to make for the Colonnade after boarding at 12.30  to 1.30; they will store your hand baggage in a side space while you have a leisurely glass or three and lunch.  Mostly we have found that by the time we have finished lunch the suites are  ready announcement will have been made - and lunch goes on longer on embarcation days.  It is particularly pleasant if you have come from a country with chilly or damp weather to sit outside if it is warm and sunny.  Time to relax!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

To me it makes sense to make for the Colonnade after boarding at 12.30  to 1.30; they will store your hand baggage in a side space while you have a leisurely glass or three and lunch.  Mostly we have found that by the time we have finished lunch the suites are  ready announcement will have been made - and lunch goes on longer on embarcation days.  It is particularly pleasant if you have come from a country with chilly or damp weather to sit outside if it is warm and sunny.  Time to relax!

On both our October Quest cruise and December & January Sojourn cruises, suites were ready upon the start of boarding, ~12:15 pm. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 4:33 AM, fudge said:

Day 14

Today we are in St Lucia.

Castries has a population of 20,000 it is the capitol and the largest city of Saint Lucia.

US dollars and credit cards are widely accepted.

The official language is English and Saint Lucian Creole.

Places of interest: Castries central market, it is the largest open market in Castries with over 300 regular vendors and 100 or more local sellers on market days.

Mount fortune, originally known as Morne Dubuc. A fort was constructed here by the French in 1784.

Pidgeon Island National Park, was once a navel base for the British in 1778.

Diamond Falls Botanical Gardens and mineral bath. There are two beaches on the Island.

There is duty free shopping where the ship docks in Pointe Seraphene, China, perfume and leather goods are found there.

An early start for Mrs Fudge, she has booked a horse-riding trip independently, she left the ship at 08.15 to catch a pre booked taxi to the stables. It’s a 3-hour horse ride including a beach ride, Mr Fudge has a quiet morning.

We are now right at the end of our cruise. Overall, we have enjoyed it, yes there have been a few minor hiccups but we addressed them at the time to our satisfaction.

The most memorable part of the cruise is the people we have met, really friendly, we exchanged information and enjoyed their company at the bars and restaurants.

Last evening, we went to the show with the guest entertainer, she is very funny, lots of audience participation. The only down side was that quite a few people entered the theater looking like they have just come off the beach.  Now, we don’t preach that people should “dress up” for the theater however, Seabourn state smart casual, this was certainly not the case.

Mr Fudge politely spoke with the hotel director about this. He said that on a 7-day Caribbean cruise, headquarters have instructed the crew to relax the dress code whatever that means?

He was very apologetic and said there was very little he could do about it. Even worse the cruise director asked if we were embarrassed at being overdressed, my jaw dropped hearing that comment! 

Yesterday, the ship docked so it was an easy walk to the shopping mall, after breakfast which we ate on the pool deck we took a leisurely stroll in the sunshine. There was a mixture of high-end shops and also cheap shops.

The afternoon was spent topping up our tan, the pool deck was very busy. There was an unfortunate incident involving a guest complaining about slow service, he was haranguing one of the pool deck staff which was very uncomfortable to listen to, the guest if you can call him that was shouting loudly, finger pointing and was very aggressive towards the crew member. It was so bad that the crew member asked if I would be a witness to the incident, I had no hesitation in supporting him.

Sadly, this is my last post, I would like to thank all who have replied, it’s been a fantastic cruise, Seabourn once again delivered the goods.   

So, onto our next cruise in September, a change of cruise line Regent. We fly to Vancouver, spend three nights there, we then sail to Alaska and on to Japan.

For those already sailing or due to sail, safe travels, we will raise a glass of champagne to you all.

Such a wonderful journal!  We are heading to some of the same islands the first of April.  I hope you might have insight as my husband saw a news story and so I obsessively researched it.  Did you notice an abundance of seaweed?  He is concerned the beaches will be closed….

cheers to your next journey. 
chloie

Thank you for your kind words. Mrs Fudge did go horse riding but on the Atlantic side a good thirty minute drive from the ship. There was a ton of seaweed there and very rough, you could not swim in it.

I suspect you are referring to close to where the ship docked, unfortunately we didnt go there, maybe another poster can advise?