Live from the Ovation

fudge

Day 6

Today we arrived in Antigua, the ship docked right in the town, close to the pier there is a duty free shopping paradise. Many prestigious shops selling brand named goods.

Mr Fudge has hidden the credit cards in his underwear draw for safety however, they are calling to Mrs Fudge, “we are in here” any more of that and they are going overboard.

The official currency is the Caribbean dollar however US dollars and credit cards are widely accepted. The official language is English.

Places of interest are St John’s Cathedral, an Anglican church visible from the ship.

The island boasts 2 championship golf courses and 3 beaches, also The Jolly Beach Spa and Resort and Coco Bay Resort.

Mr Fudge is a keen golfer but not this time, his handicap is obvious!!!

Ok, you know the story now, a nudge in the back from Mrs Fudge and off goes Mr Fudge for the coffees. It’s always a good start to the day when I see the cheery smile of the coffee guy, The coffee is always piping hot, the pastries are tasty.

We are trying to do our bit for the environment, we now re use the takeaway/to go cartons which holds the coffee, the first two mornings the suite attendant took them away so we hide them now.

Early start today, the weather at present is awful, raining hard. Just finished breakfast, good service lovely food.

So, I know all you avid followers are wondering how the baggo went? Mr Fudge was the overall winner, he won a tote bag, Mrs Fudge came second and won an umbrella, yes there was more than two of us this time.

Peaky Blinders, losers, second again! Four times on the run, what do we have to do to win this team trivia? Come on guys pray for us, this is more than a game it’s all about winning.

Last evening at 18.15 there was a cocktail reception for Seabourn members, Mrs Fudge needs at least 1hr 15 minutes to get ready, thank heavens I was born a man! 

Please excuse me for going off topic. My heart goes out to those people in Turkey who have been devastated by the earthquake. The day we left Cyprus we were in the airport when a number of children and their teachers were waiting for their flight to Turkey, smiling young faces all ready for their trip. Today we learned that 34 out of the 39 children have lost their lives, may they rest in peace.

Last evening was not good at all, it started off well with Captains welcome then went downhill from there! One lady has had more than 750 days on Seabourn that is serious money!

In the main dining room, it was a vegetarian evening which would give a miss. We ate in the Colonnade; the choices were very limited indeed. We started with a green pasta which was pretty tasteless and only just warm, followed by steak and fries.

Not a difficult dish to cook, it took over 40 minutes to arrive, even then Mrs Fudges steak was rare, she asked for it well done, to be fair she was offered another steak, we politely declined and left.

We went to the theater, there was a British lady comedian/magician Mandy Muden, she was OK but nothing special, she asked a someone to help her with a trick, a guy stepped up flip flops, shorts and a T shirt, she actually said “have you just come from the beach”?

I know dress codes have been done to death, but that takes the biscuit! We left before the end, let’s hope today was just a blip and we have a better day tomorrow?

We continue to meet some lovely people from all over the world, possibly the friendliest cruise we have been on for a long time.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Enjoying reading your report.  Out of curiosity, what Champagnes (sparkling wines) are part of the "included" drinks.  We were just on Silver Dawn and it was Pommery so a bit curious what SB is pouring.  Enjoy!

Seabourn have M Montaudon and very nice it is too. 12 bottles is enough for anybody!!

• Like 1

“Please excuse me for going off topic. My heart goes out to those people in Turkey who have been devastated by the earthquake. The day we left Cyprus we were in the airport when a number of children and their teachers were waiting for their flight to Turkey, smiling young faces all ready for their trip. Today we learned that 34 out of the 39 children have lost their lives, may they rest in peace.”

Fudge - 

So, so sorry to hear this awful news. A terrible disaster for Turkey and its people and for the families of these children.  

Edited by margbem
Quotes required
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, fudge said:

Day 6

Today we arrived in Antigua, the ship docked right in the town, close to the pier there is a duty free shopping paradise. Many prestigious shops selling brand named goods.

Mr Fudge has hidden the credit cards in his underwear draw for safety however, they are calling to Mrs Fudge, “we are in here” any more of that and they are going overboard.

The official currency is the Caribbean dollar however US dollars and credit cards are widely accepted. The official language is English.

Places of interest are St John’s Cathedral, an Anglican church visible from the ship.

The island boasts 2 championship golf courses and 3 beaches, also The Jolly Beach Spa and Resort and Coco Bay Resort.

Ok, you know the story now, a nudge in the back from Mrs Fudge and off goes Mr Fudge for the coffees. It’s always a good start to the day when I see the cheery smile of the coffee guy, The coffee is always piping hot, the pastries are tasty.

We are trying to do our bit for the environment, we now re use the takeaway/to go cartons which holds the coffee, the first two mornings the suite attendant took them away so we hide them now.

Early start today, the weather at present is awful, raining hard. Just finished breakfast, good service lovely food.

So, I know all you avid followers are wondering how the baggo went? Mr Fudge was the overall winner, he won a tote bag, Mrs Fudge came second and won an umbrella, yes there was more than two of us this time.

Peaky Blinders, losers, second again! Four times on the run, what do we have to do to win this team trivia? Come on guys pray for us, this is more than a game it’s all about winning.

Last evening at 18.15 there was a cocktail reception for Seabourn members, Mrs Fudge needs at least 1hr 15 minutes to get ready, thank heavens I was born a man! 

Please excuse me for going off topic. My heart goes out to those people in Turkey who have been devastated by the earthquake. The day we left Cyprus we were in the airport when a number of children and their teachers were waiting for their flight to Turkey, smiling young faces all ready for their trip. Today we learned that 34 out of the 39 children have lost their lives, may they rest in peace.

Last evening was not good at all, it started off well with Captains welcome then went downhill from there! One lady has had more than 750 days on Seabourn that is serious money!

In the main dining room, it was a vegetarian evening which would give a miss. We ate in the Colonnade; the choices were very limited indeed. We started with a green pasta which was pretty tasteless and only just warm, followed by steak and fries.

Not a difficult dish to cook, it took over 40 minutes to arrive, even then Mrs Fudges steak was rare, she asked for it well done, to be fair she was offered another steak, we politely declined and left.

We went to the theater, there was a British lady comedian/magician Mandy Muden, she was OK but nothing special, she asked a someone to help her with a trick, a guy stepped up flip flops, shorts and a T shirt, she actually said “have you just come from the beach”?

I know dress codes have been done to death, but that takes the biscuit! We left before the end, let’s hope today was just a blip and we have a better day tomorrow?

We continue to meet some lovely people from all over the world, possibly the friendliest cruise we have been on for a long time.

My goodness thank you for writing such an informative blog.  It has become a highlight of each evening!  We board Ovation on 18th - our first time with Seabourn - and your news adds to the anticipation  of the holiday. X

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Enjoying reading your report.  Out of curiosity, what Champagnes (sparkling wines) are part of the "included" drinks.  We were just on Silver Dawn and it was Pommery so a bit curious what SB is pouring.  Enjoy!

Seabourn have M Montaudon and very nice it is too. 12 bottles is enough for anybody!!

Thank you all for your kind words, really appreciated, we are having such a great time on board.

2 hours ago, Belinda-Jane said:

My goodness thank you for writing such an informative blog.  It has become a highlight of each evening!  We board Ovation on 18th - our first time with Seabourn - and your news adds to the anticipation  of the holiday. X

We also board on the 18th. Third on Seabourn. First on Ovation.  Can’t wait. 

9 hours ago, fudge said:

Day 6

Will there be any baggo prizes left for those of us boarding on the 18th??🤣

• Haha 1

Yes, dont worry, by the way, there is plenty of choice for prizes, they let you choose if you are lucky. Caps, mugs, the tote bag is brilliant for shopping, umbrellas, teddy bears, passport holders, travel adapter. Good luck!!! 

Day 7

We have just landed at one of my favourite places, Carambola beach, St Kitts and Nevis.

For those who don’t know its for us the highlight of the cruise. Seabourn hire the beach just for their guests, no other public are allowed. A classic sugar like golden beach great for swimming, snorkeling and water sports.

You can leave for the beach around 10am and relax on the sun loungers of which there are plenty with umbrellas. From mid-day until 14.30 lunch is served in the restaurant, last time we were here there were Lobster tails, steak, salad, jacket potatoes, a really scrummy menu, washed down with oodles of champagne.

A lot of staff are on the beach, they wade out to sea waist high with a surf board with caviar and champagne. In addition, water sports are available from the ship, banana trips Etc.

Going back to yesterday after a leisurely breakfast we took a stroll through the morning showers to the local shopping mall.

At breakfast a guy a few feet away was coughing and sneezing to some tune, now, ordinarily pre covid I expect no one would blink an eye however, everyone seemed to be giving him a wide berth.

The locals were very friendly, no hassle, no pressure to take excursions although there is plenty of choice if you want to take a trip independently.

On our last cruise, we did a zip wire adventure here it was a great thrill. Properly managed with all the safety procedures in place.

Eventually the rain did clear and we had a good day of sunshine. Neither Mrs Fudge or Mr Fudge was tempted by the goodies on offer, there are some really nice duty-free shops no more than 200yards from the ship. (Mr Fudge blows a sigh of relief)

We ate a lovely lunch in the Colonnade, an Italian style lunch, plenty of Pasta on offer, the staff are getting to know us now, Mr Fudge is even cutting his own food, progress at last!!

Mr Fudge stood in line with the captain, really nice guy, we see and speak to him often, I asked about the weather, he said he made a phone call to the almighty but said he wasn’t listened to, I know the feeling!!

Forgive me If I have mentioned it before. Our favourite cruise lines are Silversea, Seabourn and Regent, we have not sailed on any other cruise line. Incidentally the Seven Seas Navigator is berthed across the water, she looks splendid, the other ship is the Celebrity Edge a huge ship.

We stayed there until 10pm evening so plenty of time to wander off ship into town, Mrs Fudge is now locked in the walk-in wardrobe so she cannot go off again! Mr Fudge may allow her out to eat later.

Our cruise director, David Price left the ship yesterday to board the Venture, good luck and safe travels to him, he is being replaced with a lady called Kimberley who we have yet to meet.

At 5.30 a steel band was invited on the pool deck, they played for 45 minutes, the atmosphere was electric, the crew served rum punches, most folks were dancing. Some of the Regent guests opposite came on their balconies and began dancing, it didn’t last long though, after 20 minutes they sailed away into the night, much to their disappointment!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Thank you so much for sharing your journey.  I am also taking my first Seabourn cruise, leaving on the 18th, so I will see some of you there.  We only have one excursion planned so I am very interested in what to do on each island within walking of the ship or a taxi ride.  We have a very loose plan.   I am hoping to do some hiking. I have never been to this part of the Caribbean and am excited to do some exploring.

I am so sad to hear about the children flying into Turkey that were killed by the massive earthquake(s). That is tragic. I live in California, which of course is known for earthquakes and I feel for the people in Turkey. I honestly cannot imagine what they must be going through. 

Thanks again for sharing your trip - it has been so humorous and thoughtful! 😄 

14 hours ago, kd2330 said:

Thank you so much for sharing your journey.  I am also taking my first Seabourn cruise, leaving on the 18th, so I will see some of you there.  We only have one excursion planned so I am very interested in what to do on each island within walking of the ship or a taxi ride.  We have a very loose plan.   I am hoping to do some hiking. I have never been to this part of the Caribbean and am excited to do some exploring.

We met a couple on the ship who have been walking and have been pedal cycling, really easy to find independently. 

Day 8

06.30 We have just arrived in Philipsburg. St. Maarten.

It looks like about 30 percent of the passengers will leave the ship today.

Sint Maarten as called by the Dutch, or St. Maarten by the French, is the smallest island in the world to host two nations. It is 37 sq. miles island that features all the charm of the Caribbean.

Currency: Credit cards, US dollars are widely accepted.

The official language is Dutch, English and French.

Places of Interest.

Saint Maarten Heritage Museum. Anyone interested in the history of the Island should visit this Museum, filled with relics, paintings, and other collections.

Wathey square, where is the tourism centre where most of the action takes place.

Fort Amsterdam. Is an historic port on the Island of Saint Martin near the town of Phillipsburg.

Zip lining. The St, Maarten zip line is the worlds steepest, dropping more than 1000 feet in elevation, along 2,800 feet of cable.

The Island boasts three beaches, there is a duty-free mall yards from the ship, not good news for the credit card again!!

Change over day (for some)

Busy day for the crew today, some guests leaving, some guests boarding, shouldn’t really affect those still on board.

About Carambola beach yesterday, just a reminder, some folks booked tours yesterday and that’s fine, some may not like the beach however, it’s such a great fun day you may miss the excitement if you don’t get back in time for the BBQ.

The beach BBQ met our expectations. We took the short five-minute tender to the beach arrived about 10.30 am, there was already quite a few people there. It was quite windy so we got blown around a bit. A steel band were playing and it sounded great.

We grabbed two sun loungers near the bar (of course) the crew were busy serving cocktails to everyone brought direct to your lounger. About an hour later the crew took the paddle board in the sea, now it was really choppy, they served the caviar and champagne to the waiting crowd who were busy taking many photographs.

Here is huge tip from Mr Fudge.

If you need food early get to the front of the queue/line as near as mid-day as you can, the line stayed long from midday until 13.45 when the last few stragglers ate, although to be fair the crew did keep the line moving it was packed.

The choice of food was outstanding, much more than I remember on our last visit, lobster tails (huge) minute steak, beefburgers, hot dogs, pork ribs, jacket potatoes, salad, corn on the cob and much more!! I saw one guy with four, yes four lobster tails on his plate!! No wonder the crew put more on the BBQ.

Plenty of choice also for dessert, Mrs Fudge had the chocolate cake and Ice cream.

After our fill a few minutes back in the sun then back to the ship, overall, a really good day.

Just a recap from Yesterday.

Three cheers to Peaky blinders, their first win of the week in the team trivia, we all received a Seabourn teddy bear, really cute little bear. I gave mine to another couple on the team, they have three nieces, that will be a nice surprise when they get home.

We ate at Earth and Ocean again. In the main dining room it was a British night, Lancashire hot pot, roast beef Etc however, Mrs Fudge knows I love duck which was on the earth and ocean menu, we tossed a coin the duck won. We both had the scallops to start, Mrs Fudge had the halibut, I had the duck, the meal was just divine.   I don’t eat desserts but Mrs Fudge loves a hot dessert, there was sticky toffee pudding in the Colonnade, the lady who served us went to get some, Mrs Fudge devoured it in no time, I had a cognac to finish.

At 20.45 we went to the grand salon, there was a male trio called Citizen West, they were outstanding, can’t wait to see them again. We had a nightcap on the 5th floor then off to bed.

• Like 7

Caviar in the surf, and beach party is always a highlight and never disappoints IMO. This one was in Thailand on an Ovation cruise in 2019. I don’t think we’ll be enjoying one on our Trans Atlantic in April.

I’ve been enjoying your adventures Mr & Mrs Fudge. I always wanted to visit St. Kitts, so really enjoyed the descriptions.

ED3FF1A3-6FD1-47ED-A9D7-BA85F41372C2.jpeg

F50394A9-B7F3-4090-B28D-F1E783E502AD.jpeg

8ECD5FE6-7082-44A4-ABCE-B72D20908012.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, nowornever said:

Hi Fudge - I'm enjoying your posts so much.  Can you tell me about the electrical outlets on either side of the bed?  110?  220?  Keep your wonderful posts coming our way.  Many thanks.

I have it from three crew that its 220, there are two outlets, one is the very small slits which I imagine are the American style sockets then a round one European.

4 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Caviar in the surf

ED3FF1A3-6FD1-47ED-A9D7-BA85F41372C2.jpeg

This photo is showing Nicolas Feuillatte - quelle horreur!

(For Seabourn newbies:  Nicolas Feuillatte was the unpopular and disliked - and well hated by some - house champagne on Seabourn for many years and was finally replaced with Montaudon in 2019).

Friends currently on the Encore and Quest are reporting Montaudon, so perhaps this is a temporary stopgap measure?  Espérons-le.

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1

Day 9

Today we arrived in Soper’s Hole (Frenchman’s Cay)Tortola, British Virgin Islands.

The Island was notorious den for pirates in the past who used the high ground to watch for naval ships or potential victims.

The currency is the US dollar, the official language is English.

Places of interest: Soper’s hole marina, one of the most picturesque anchorages in the British Virgin Islands. The marina is home to a collection of island boutiques, water sport rentals and activities.

JR o Neil botanic gardens, are a cool and peaceful refuge.

There are three beaches on the Island perfect for swimming in the warm clear waters, if you are lucky, you may find turtles swimming nearby.

Mr Fudge still continues his morning coffee run, he sharpens his elbows to get through the maddening crowds, its amazing how many times I have been asked how I broke my wrist, the official answer now is that I was pushed by Mrs Fudge, that always raises a smile.

After Carambola beach yesterday we promised ourselves, we would give the evening meal a miss, no chance, it was the Indian market in the Colonnade, we love spicy food.

We met up with members of the Peacky blinders team and had a lovely evening. Mr Fudge had the Pork vindaloo, no, he had two portions of the vindaloo, very nice it was too, there was a huge selection of curries on offer.

Mrs Fudge was very tired, she left off the alcohol this evening that’s a first let me tell you, I had to feel her pulse to see if she was feeling OK!

Yesterday was a lovely sunny morning, cloudless. we went ashore (just to look) as Mrs Fudge always says.

We left the ship only to find the duty-free mall was closed, you should have seen the look on the face of Mrs Fudge, no, you should have seen the face of Mr Fudge 😊 apparently the shops only open if there are three cruise ships in dock not one, their loss!

Undeterred we set off on a route march, Mr Fudge broke the world record for reaching town arm in plaster in 8minutes 32 seconds!!

When you leave the cruise terminal turn left, a slow walk 10 minutes takes you into town, all shops open! On the lovely sea front you can sunbathe or look into the tourist tat shops, if you go one street back there are shops to die for seriously. 

Oh no, Mrs Fudge finds a jewellery shop in we go, this is where Mr Fudge takes a seat. The owner offers us a beer, hallo I feel a sale coming off here!!

After 5hrs and 36 minutes of serious negotiations the sale is done, serious bling, now out comes the champagne, here is where I raise the White plaster cast in submission I’m done, I ask for a sharp pair of scissors and cut the card up there and then!!

Mr Fudge needs his soccer/football fix so he trudges off slowly back to the ship, again has a gallon of white wine to soften the blow. His soccer team win so that’s a bonus.

Mrs Fudge gets back, huge grin on her face, guess what she says? she pulls out a t shirt, fabulous, “for me”? Yes, she says, all 5 bucks, gee thanks.

Just a recap, yesterday evening a party was held on the pool deck for those disembarking Saturday, it’s called officers on deck team member salute, a Seabourn signature event featuring live music, cameras were clicking as the band played, Seabourn have small tents for nibbles/canapes and of course more champagne, the crew assemble on the upper deck to wave goodbye to guests leaving.

• Like 6