Booking a new Cruise Onboard

TGCRUISEO

16 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

These are $100 of OBC.

Military, Healthcare, First Responder, Teacher and Educator Cruise Offer

Thank you for your dedication and service. Holland America Line offers military personnel (active, retired or veteran), healthcare workers, first responders, teachers and educators $100 onboard credit per stateroom

I had no idea! Any chance getting that added to a paid cruise in August I have? 

-gregma

21 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

I've heard they changed these programs' application cutoff to something like within 24 hours of booking a cruise.  Just something to be aware of before getting ready to book a cruise...it's a very tight time window.

16 hours ago, gregma60 said:

I had no idea! Any chance getting that added to a paid cruise in August I have? 

-gregma

Not according to what AFNavigator posted.

9 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Not according to what AFNavigator posted.

I don't know if the teacher and educator OBC has that booking time constraint.  I'm just aware of the valid-time constraint on the first responder OBC offer.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:35 PM, TGCRUISEO said:

Was wanting to know if anyone knows the Advantage of Booking a  new cruise onboard rather than just getting a Future Cruise Credit. 

My experience has been that booking onboard is not an advantage but buying a FCD is a very good deal.

Why?

The last couple of cruises (spring and fall 2022) I had the prices for future cruises we were contemplating from our "large online TA" and met with the onboard cruise lady and the prices (even pricing in OBC) was not as favorable.

The FCD is a no-brainer.  It's free money (OBC) and a low deposit.  Also, no risk because the $100 deposit is refunded if you go four years (I think that is the time frame) without a HAL cruise (not going to happen w/us).  Also, we've been known to buy more than one FCD while onboard and when we bring the family, I grab FCD's for them.

• Like 4

Glad you brought up the "family" subject.  How do you go about getting a FCD for someone that may want to cruise with you in the future?  Do they not have to be on the current cruise?  If not, does the certificate put in their name?

51 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Do they not have to be on the current cruise? 

My understanding is YES, they do have to be onboard.  (We were on the NS over Thanksgiving with the adult kiddos so I bought FCD's for all and have no idea when we will use them but we will....eventually)

And their names were on the certificate?  The reason I ask is that we will be on an upcoming cruise and wish to purchase the FCD's.  We have relatives not sailing with us, but may like to take a future cruise with us.  The FCD's would be perfect for them! 

On Celebrity, we were able to make cruise deposits for a booked cruise, but had to put a name on the reservation.  Then the name could be changed.   For instance, we added our sons name knowing he would probably not be able to go.  We later changed the name to include our daughters friend.

Edited by Iamthesea

You do put down the persons name and cabin number.....and then by the time we are home, there is an email receipt with the info...and you can see it on the Holland online account. All linked. 

I'm not certain how tight the controls are regarding other folks getting a FCD but perhaps others might come along w/better info......It's worth finding out. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

You do put down the persons name and cabin number.....and then by the time we are home, there is an email receipt with the info...and you can see it on the Holland online account. All linked. 

I'm not certain how tight the controls are regarding other folks getting a FCD but perhaps others might come along w/better info......It's worth finding out. 

I think you need the person's Mariner Number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 5:30 PM, Iamthesea said:

And their names were on the certificate?  The reason I ask is that we will be on an upcoming cruise and wish to purchase the FCD's.  We have relatives not sailing with us, but may like to take a future cruise with us.  The FCD's would be perfect for them! 

On Celebrity, we were able to make cruise deposits for a booked cruise, but had to put a name on the reservation.  Then the name could be changed.   For instance, we added our sons name knowing he would probably not be able to go.  We later changed the name to include our daughters friend.

They do not need to be onboard.  I just got off Nieuw Statendam and bought FCD for myself and husband who wasn't on this cruise.  They are connected to your mariner number and I don't think transferable. 

If they are not used in 4 years, they are refunded.  So besides giving HAL $100 to hold on to for that time - it doesn't cost you anything.

I did a booking this past week while on board.  Regular OBC for my length cruise and cabin category would have been $25 I think for the FCD but since I booked on board it will be $125, if I keep the booking.  If not, I cancel that booking, my FCD goes back on my mariner account and when I do book - I get the $25 OBC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit confused now what is (probably) a better deal.

Next week we'll cruise with the Rotterdam from Amsterdam to Scotland and back. This will be our first HAL cruise and if we like it, we want to either get FCD's -or- book onboard for an Alaska cruise in spring 2025. Which will be better?

And if we buy FCD's, do we need to add a travel agent we want to use to it? 

1 hour ago, Swetsenegger said:

I'm a bit confused now what is (probably) a better deal.

Next week we'll cruise with the Rotterdam from Amsterdam to Scotland and back. This will be our first HAL cruise and if we like it, we want to either get FCD's -or- book onboard for an Alaska cruise in spring 2025. Which will be better?

And if we buy FCD's, do we need to add a travel agent we want to use to it? 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

It makes no difference booking onboard or within 60 days to get the maximum OBC.

No need to name a travel agent.  The FCD is in your name by Mariner Number.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

Sorry, I'm finding this confusing...   A person can buy FCD for ANOTHER PERSON who is NOT sailing?   Does that have to be done onboard or can it be done after the cruise within 60 days?  What information does the person buying the FCD (if it must be done onboard) need about the person the FCD is intended for?   And can they also still buy for themselves then?

1 hour ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Sorry, I'm finding this confusing...   A person can buy FCD for ANOTHER PERSON who is NOT sailing?   Does that have to be done onboard or can it be done after the cruise within 60 days?  What information does the person buying the FCD (if it must be done onboard) need about the person the FCD is intended for?   And can they also still buy for themselves then?

For clarification:  An onboard guest can only purchase a FCD for themselves or someone in their current stateroom.  FCDs may not be purchased for someone who is not onboard.

When booking a new cruise, FCDs in the booking guest's name may be used to pay the cruise deposit for someone on the same booking whose name is not on the FCD. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I always load up on FCDs.  Fun planning, really.  As far as booking a cruise onboard, no way.  I have no patience with the staff in that department since I just don't know them, don't know about their expertise, and generally trust my PCC to give me a hand.  I usually know what I want, when I want it, and how to go about it.  There.  I've said quite enough haha.

• Like 3