What color shoes

RTR 21-0

Have never heard of Olukai but will definitely look them up!  I have multiple pairs of Skecher slip ons my go to airport shoes and are fine for most days/minimal walking but I know I’ll need something with more support for this trip.  Thanks to everyone who have given me recommendations and pointers.  On the last few planning details of our trip then it’s on to shoe shopping! 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:33 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

I keep hearing a lot of good things about European made shoes.  The cost really cuts into a budget but they may warrant taking a closer look, especially if I could get a year or two out of them.  

To quote my mother, "good leather shoes should last years and years if you take care of them."

The only time I've had shoes break down in less than 10 years is if they got really wet (like 10 days in London when it rained incessantly). So you have to really like a pair of shoes if you're going to be stuck with them for a decade 🤣

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, slidergirl said:

I bought a pair of OluKai Pehuea Li shoes in, yes, white.  But they have other colors, too.  They are mesh-y so very cool to wear when it was over 100 degrees for a month.  I walked for hours in them everyday.  The cool part of the shoe is that the heel folds down to turn the shoe into a mule style.  I wore those shoes with shorts, pants, skirts, dresses.   To me, the insole was sufficient for my needs, but it is removable if you want to add your own orthotics.

A question about the Pehuea Li shoes -- I like the look of them and the mesh, and I see they're available in navy which is becoming my new neutral for spring/summer.

I tried on a different pair of OluKais (slip-ons) a couple of years ago. I didn't like the "feel" of the fold-down heel. What does it feel like when you walk on them with the heel folded down?  Also, does the heel (when not folded down) irritate when walking lots or is it padded?  

Unfortunately I have very sensitive skin. Tend to get blisters very easily and it looks like these don't lend themselves to wearing with socks.

Edited by cruisemom42

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

A question about the Pehuea Li shoes -- I like the look of them and the mesh, and I see they're available in navy which is becoming my new neutral for spring/summer.

I tried on a different pair of OluKais (slip-ons) a couple of years ago. I didn't like the "feel" of the fold-down heel. What does it feel like when you walk on them with the heel folded down?  Also, does the heel (when not folded down) irritate when walking lots or is it padded?  

Unfortunately I have very sensitive skin. Tend to get blisters very easily and it looks like these don't lend themselves to wearing with socks.

The back piece of the Pehuea Li is kind of like neoprene.  So, it made for easy walking.  And it was easy on my heels right out of the box.  I get blisters easily plus I have some nerve issues, so shoes are hit and miss for me.  I think you tried the espadrilles before, right?  Yeah, the heel on that is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I  forgot to mention Cariuma sneakers.  There is a bamboo woven one, kind of like mesh, called the IBI.  I tried a pair when I was also looking at the Olu Kai lows.  They were nice, but I like the cut of the Olu Kai better.  And having 2 shoes in one was a bonus when packing small and light.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I like Keen for supportive walking shoes.

I have Keen Rose (style name, not color 😉 )Mary Jane hiking sandals that I wore on every excursion in Hawaii. Meets the closed toe requirement needed and the wide toe box makes them comfy. I wore with pants, shorts and casual day dresses.

The Keen Targhee II hikers were my go-to in Alaska

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LarsenPNP said:

I have Keen Rose (style name, not color 😉 )Mary Jane hiking sandals that I wore on every excursion in Hawaii. Meets the closed toe requirement needed and the wide toe box makes them comfy. I wore with pants, shorts and casual day dresses.

I love the Keen Rose, dressy looking but superior support. I’ll need to check out the Keen Targhee

On 4/2/2023 at 4:04 PM, LarsenPNP said:

I also love my Keen Rose sandals, very comfortable for all-day walking, no matter where the day takes you. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2023 at 9:36 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

I’ve seen a few posts on shoes to wear on a med cruise.  I have  Morton’s neuroma mostly manageable with injections but am looking for a comfortable pair of walking shoes (probably sneakers) with a wideish toe box and cute.  Any suggestions?  I’m also wondering what color I should get.  Not crazy about the way an all white shoe looks on me and want something that would look cute with most all colors and pair well with capris, sundresses and pants.  I’m not asking for a lot, right 😅

Look at Vionic Shoes dot com

Every shoe has an orthotic built into it. - and the shoes are cute! 

And (if you buy direct from their website) they offer a 30-day return for any reason return policy. 

As in: wear them and if you don't love them, return them. 

You can also buy Vionic from QVC and Amazon, but you don't get the same amazing return policy.

I have seen them at Dillards too.  

They are pricey, but a very high quality shoe. 👡

I have Morton’s, here in U.K. I was given special insoles from physio. There is a lump in part of the insole that means your foot is no longer applying pressure onto the neuroma. I found these invaluable for work when on my feet for 9 hours.

I have since had two surgeries for 2 separate neuromas and although no pain, can feel a stone of tissue in the area and my 2 toes are numb, I was told to wear shoes with rocker style bottoms, think new balance trainers, and I live in FIT flop brand mules and boots. 
I was told do not go barefoot or thin soles or very soft shoes without support. Skechers do not have enough support. Though comfy for short periods.

colours I go for are silver or gold ,or pink/nude. These go with all colours and can match bags if you wish. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wineinhand said:

I have Morton’s, here in U.K. I was given special insoles from physio. There is a lump in part of the insole that means your foot is no longer applying pressure onto the neuroma. I found these invaluable for work when on my feet for 9 hours.

I have since had two surgeries for 2 separate neuromas and although no pain, can feel a stone of tissue in the area and my 2 toes are numb, I was told to wear shoes with rocker style bottoms, think new balance trainers, and I live in FIT flop brand mules and boots. 
I was told do not go barefoot or thin soles or very soft shoes without support. Skechers do not have enough support. Though comfy for short periods.

colours I go for are silver or gold ,or pink/nude. These go with all colours and can match bags if you wish. 

Try OOFOS 

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to report back and let y’all know what I ended up bringing.  My black New Balance 1080 v11; purchased a pair of New Balance 990 v6 that is a sort of greige (grey/beige); and purchased a pair of Naturalizer Morrison in white.  Each were interchangeable with my outfits and so comfortable!  Never had an issue with my feet even after logging 15,000-18,000 steps per day!  Found a cute & comfy pair of dress sandals on Amazon by Dream Pairs that worked perfect for nights on the ship.  

• Like 1